What is your favorite season to hike in?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Season to Hike

• Spring

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Summer

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Fall

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Winter

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fall or winter would be my favorite.

Spring = mud season and beginning of bugs, heat and crowds.

Summer runs a dead last with me. (Except for mud, see all the reasons under Spring.) I almost never hike in summer.

Yeah, I'll admit it. Fall is my favorite (ok, late August through early November). Winter second, Summer next, spring last. I like fall best: warm days, cool nights, no bugs, and most of the flatlanders have called it a season. Last year I was fortunate to hike 7 of 8 weekends from the last weekend of August. It wa a blast (a bit wet though, which was somewhat unusual for that time of year). I like winter for the challenge and solitude. Even in a group when you are covered in gear, I often find solitude.

Fall by far is my favorite! The colors, the feel in the air, occasional snow flurries, very comfortable sleeping nights, usually dry conditions, very much less bugs, the rustle of leaves at my feet, I love fall!

Winter is definitely my favorite for the challenges of getting to the peak. Not knowing if you'll actually get there. The views much more spectacular.
I love the Fall for the views of the brilliant colors if we get a good peak color year. Also the cooler days for hiking. The smell of the fallen leaves. The beginning of the winter wonderland scene.
Summer for not having to carry so much gear, and also bushwacking time, for the peaks I've waited all year to climb.
Spring for the relief the Winter list can now lay to rest for another year, but also the budding of the trees, and the blossoming of the flowers. Lets not forget the spruce traps that didn't get us in Winter will definitely get us in the Spring.
I love every season in the peaks, but in the order I have written.

Fall is also my favorite season but I'll go hiking anytime, just adjust my goals according to what the conditions are. Every season has it good points and bad points and we all have to go with the flow. What else are we going to do?

For me it depends on the venue. I love Harriman in the spring. The springs are often
full, the air cool, the paths untrodden, everything seems fresh and new.
Move north to the adirondacks and it becomes a toss up with winter. The relative
solitude, unique route opportunities, the sheer beauty and the ease on the knees, ahh
yes, the knees.

Spring and sumer for backpacking (longer days)
Late fall and winter for dayhiking (less overheating, views)
Anytime I can get away.

1. Autumn; low haze, low bugs, low tourists.
2. Winter; solitude, views.
3. Summer; shorts, sweat and distances
4. Spring; high water crossings; false bridges; muddy.
but I still go when I can.....

Fall.

The leaves are beautiful.
Mud and bugs are pretty much past.
Water crossings are low, easy, and safe.
Views are typically wonderful in the clear air.
Dry, crisp weather, not too hot, fantastic for sleeping.
Don't need to carry much extra winter-weather gear.
And unlike in winter, I'm comfortable hiking and overnighting solo.

What seasons are theses? I've never heard of spring, summer, and fall. The four seasons I know of are mud, black fly, almost winter, and winter.

May favorite time of year is mid August through mid October.

Winter by far. Nothings beats a fresh coating of snow on a mt. You get to hike in areas that most dont get too because of the equipment that is required. Plus thee are no bugs to deal with. Winter is usually when I am in my best shape.

Fall is also a faverite of mind because of the colores. Throw a little snow with the colors and you got ideal conditions, at least for me.

Spring is next because you can still snowshoe when it is 50+ degrees out. I also love te spring flowers and hearing the spring peepers.

Summer I hate because of the humidity, bugs, sweat and hazy views. I will still hike but that is when the Kayak comes out.

Winter!

No bugs or mud; I don't sweat like a pig; stream crossings are easy; glissading is a blast; falling in snow is less painful than on a pile of rocks and roots!

I dont know why I like it so much, but in the summer I like to sweat. It makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Plus, if you stay on a ridge, you get a nice breeze all day, which can cool you down. I do hate the bugs, but I just bring my trusty friend Will, who attracts all of them, leaving me bugless :) I also like swimming a lot, and consider it a major part of the outdoor experience. I have been known to get hypothermic in July, swimming in mountain fed streams for too long. Nothing is better then super cooling your muscles after a long abusive day of hiking. The only think I dislike about the summer is the crowds, but we can always find trails noone is on. Has anyone ever hiked the "wrong" way to Blake before? Awesome.

Summer for me. I don't mind heat so as long as the bugs aren't too bad, it is by far, the most comfortable. Fall has its own beauty for sure, but I love the really long days and the warmer temperatures of summertime.

I would have to go with Fall. Most of the previous Fall posters have named all the reasons. It also gives me a chance to look for game without the pressure of having to drag a kill back to the lodge. I was out hiking not hunting. haha..

Mud Season

Mud season would have to be my favorite season to hike! Fall is a close second though; no bugs, cooler temps, less humidity, and the colors.

Last edited:
You're right - they're all awsome but Fall is probably the best - less bugs, not too hot, not too cold, just right. And the leaves. Winter is my runner up only lacking behind only due to the amount of gear one has to pack.

Never had much good weather in the Spring. And Summer...well, it's pretty awsome but the bugs - and then there's the issue with water...but it's nice to run around camp naked at night....Whoa Hoa!