what type of supplements do you take?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regularly take vitamins A, E, I, O, U and sometimes Y. :) During bug season I'll sometimes load my bloodstream with B, which can take at least a few days. Credit for my health (so far) is shared with C and dose up on that if I sense a cold coming on (so far so good).

I also take Dammitol for cabin fever and extracts from the azule agave plant to combat arthritis. :)

I don't take any supplements on the trail as I'm of the opinion that the body can't can metabolize them fast enough. I do take multivitamins, glucomime, calcium, ASA and saw palmetto at breakfast and do my best to eat a good diet.

If I'm on a multi-day, and won't have access to coffee, I find that about a dozen chocolate-coated coffee beans will get me thru and prevent the caffeine headache.

When I need a quick energy boost, I carry Sunkist's Fruit Gems. Made with real juices, they taste great. Better than jumbo jelley beans, and work as well. Am a little leary of GU, although some of my friends use it.

Sugar, enriched flour, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, polysorbate 60 and yellow dye #5.

Everything a growing boy needs.

Eat well 90% of the time.Real whole foods ie fruit and vegies.Zinc at first sign of cold based on real double blind testing in Germany.Trail supplements gu = toothpaste yuk.My favorite late day boost is fresh ice cold water and a handfull of skittles ( the red are best ).When I do major range runs in the summer I pack a pint of fresh blueberries and 1/2 lb. of fresh bing cherries.

grasshopper said:
My favorite late day boost is fresh ice cold water and a handfull of skittles ( the red are best ).
Skittles rock! Allthough I think it's the colouring gives me the energy.

Supplements

I used to take a myriad of supplements in my competitive weightlifting years (legal ones only). I found the best to be aspirin, Vitamin C, and calcium/magnesium/zinc. I too suffer from cramps, so I drink 33% gatorade on the trail. I've begun to bring V8 and potato chips (kettle chips) on the trail for a potassium/sodium boost. However, from personal experience, I wouldn't recommend drinking the V8 before a big climb... save it for the descent. Bananas are only moderately high in potassium... potato (kettle) chips, raisins, and nuts have more (http://www.weightlossforall.com/potassium-rich-food.htm)

Vitamin C is better for recuperation than ibuprophen. I megadose Vitamin C (2000+ mg) along with regular dose of aspirin if I'm really sore after a hike/workout. I suppose antioxidants would also help with recuperation, but I get enough from my diet (blueberries, carrots, melon... basically anything bright).

I'm another one who's surprised with the number of people who think bananas are a great source of potassium. They're not bad, but there are better sources. For example - a cup of orange juice has more potassium than a banana. There's another good page with dietary sources potassium here.

When I'm home in the morning I enjoy a bowl of oatmeal, and justify a generous helping of maple syrup as helping meet my potassium need, as among other things, it's a good source.

One final thing on bananas - don't know what's in them, but they contain something that seems like a love potion for black flies and mosquitos. I've friends who eat them at the trailhead, and I give them a wide berth in spring as they usually surrounding by swarms of bugs.

HikerDoc said:
How about the Newfy? What does he eat that gets him going up the hill?
He's one of those dogs not much motivated by food. When he's knows we're going hiking, it's nearly impossible to get him to eat breakfast. I always carry dog bones with me, but often (especially during warm weather) he doesn't eat them all, and on more than one occasion hasn't eaten until we got home. Sometimes his buds will bring him treats - he like Odwalla bars, hard-boiled eggs, etc. Another friend always gives him a meat snack at the end of the hike.

Due to his size, most people think he eats alot, but dogs are variable, like us. On the other hand - we lived with a female Newfie for many years we nicknamed "Hoover" for obvious reasons. Keeping her svelte was often a challenge. Another good reason to train your large dog not to guard food, just in case.

Sugar

I know it isn't what was meant by a supplement but sugar, which deservedly gets a bad rap in the outside world, is hiker's gold, rocket fuel. I consume sugar during high cardiac ouput portion of the hike and try and avoid fats and protein cuz they'll slow down the sugar absorption and their digestion will divert blood flow from where I really need it. (I eat big the day before and drink sweet, protein laden low fat YOP or 1% choc. milk 2-3 hrs before the hike). The harder you hike, the more your fat-sugar fuel burning ratio is skewed towards sugar which is in limited supply.

Immediately post-hike: more sugar but with some protein. There is a roughly 2 hour window after your done hiking where your muscles take up sugar (for the next hike) much more readily than usual. Rate of uptake is supposedly fastest the soonest after stopping. For some reason, protein enhances the effect.
If there is a long flat trail between the mtn. and the car then maybe you should start loading up on sugar then, I don't know.

BTW, bread is sugar. Most crackers (not fin crisp or rye crisps, Wassa etc.)are fat laden.

The distance runners on the forum know all about this stuff and way more probably.

Second the Motion re post hike intake...

Immediately post-hike: more sugar but with some protein. There is a roughly 2 hour window after your done hiking where your muscles take up sugar (for the next hike) much more readily than usual.

As a "creaky kneed" aging hiker, recovery as key to me. I 've been using a drink made by Shaklee Corp., a natural supplement company. It comes as a powder. I bring along a baggy of it and leave it in the car with some extra water. Mix it and drink it immediately on return to the car while stretching (it helps me alot to stretch before getting back in the car). It's called "Shaklee Physique". I can PM anyone a link if you're interested. It really reduces and usually blocks any next day soreness for me!

I'm surprised no one mentioned amino acid supplements. Or creatine. When I used to hike several times a week, the amino acids really seemed to help the recovery time and lessen the lactic acid build-up.

Airborn??

Has anybody ever tried Airborn?? It is a large tablet that you disolve in water. As a teacher, I drink a glass of it to ward off germy student sneezes and coughs...or if I am beginning to feel tired and achy. It seems to give me a boost. I wonder if it would be good on the trail?

Now reading the label more closely I notice that it only has 75mg of Potassium. Maybe I've been fooled! It also has 1000mg of Vitamin C, various herbal extracts, antioxidants, amino acids and electrolytes.

Vit C

Sara said:
Now reading the label more closely I notice that it only has 75mg of Potassium. Maybe I've been fooled! It also has 1000mg of Vitamin C, various herbal extracts, antioxidants, amino acids and electrolytes.

It is my understanding that only about 100mg per hour of Vit C can be absorbed. So unless it is time released tablet, you are likely not getting much more than that into your blood stream.

I've never felt the need or been convinced to take any "supplements" in my diet other than eating right.

I've experiemented some during brutal bushwhack hikes, but I've learned more over several years of doing the 90 mile ADK canoe classic race. During the race you must eat a little something every 30-45 minutes or you will get behind the power curve, "bonk", and not be able to recover to your previous cruising strength. Sugars and fats in candy bars do the trick mostly but not entirely, and you get soon get sick of them. I add fig bars and a home made peanut butter high energy bar concoction, washed down with lots of 30-50% diluted Gatorade. I dehydrate sliced melons and sliced bananas to the leathery stage for a change. The bananas seem to perk me up and last the longest, and are the most palatable near the end of a long paddling day.

glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate

Like Dugan four-legs, one of our Labs has been on Cosequin (glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate nutraceutical) for almost 10 years after she had some hip problems as a youngster. We had started her on it because our previous dog had been prescribed injections of Adequan (a related supplement originally developed as a supplement for horses I believe) for an elbow problem.

At any rate, while our vet has sold us the supplement, he has said that are really no definitive studies that its effective. I also know that this is a popular human supplement available commercially.

However just this week a study with humans suggests its not effective for arthritis NYTimes.

The scientist and rational part of me says to stop giving it to my dog, on the other hand she's in great shape and can still knock off a moderate 5-10 mile hike.
:confused:

I should note that my wife and I do not take any hiking-related pharmaceutical/nutritional supplements beyond coffee, Luna bars, and Ibuprofen. I am generally leery of nutritional supplements beyond a normal dose of multivitamins.

All the best!

Our Suppliment Menu

Most of us, the BMT used to use Cytomax. It seemed to help a bit with endurance before the onset of tightness (mostly hams)
Heres our regimin for the last 3 years: Incidentally most of the below is Doctor approved and leads to increased endurance.
Wake up: Slim Fast, banana, and something solid like a muffin or bagel.
I dont like a lot of food before hiking just enough to get me rolling.
I drink a Nalgene bottle of Gatorade mix just prior to starting. Our goal is to pee clear at least for the first hour of the climb.
I drink only Accelerade (Like Lance A. ) mixed with water during the climb.
Immediately after the hike we drink Endurox (12 oz) which is loaded with amino acids .Prevents tightness and gets you ready for day 2.
During the hike Im careful to keep myself hydrated, drinking every 30 minutes.
I keep my sugar level as normal as possible.
In transit, I eat vanilla wafers, soft baked chocolate chip cookies (They dont freeze hard like others) and a PB and J for lunch.
I eat good nourishing food during my time off the mountain as all that powdered nutrition gets old really fast.
I buy Accerade and Endurox in bulk, on line, at The Vitamin Shoppe
I hope this helps.