What's in your hike plan

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Self-Reliance is all well and good, but...

nobody is immune to accidents, sudden illness, or unexpected weather changes.

Maybe you'd rather die than rely on someone to rescue you, but think of the unnecessary worry to your family and extra work for SAR if you don't even give them a clue where to start looking when you've been missing for two days. Consider the Japanese-Canadian guy who perished on Mount Washington recently.

As stated before

My wife will NEVER call anyone if I do not return from a trip. Here are the reasons:

She has complete confidence in my ability to get home.

She is well aware of my survival skills.

She knows that if I could not get out then I would die a happy person doing what I loved the most in life.

She also knows that I may just stay in the woods and never come out!

She has no idea where I am off to this time.

Great thread. Maybe I'll print this out and leave THIS on the counter next time I go hiking.

1. I am a hyper-planner, so she knows I know where I'm going and how long it will generally take. So I can't really get away with, "Eh, I'm just going somewhere." She'd think I was on drugs or something.

2. Thanks to the esteemed Gov of South Carolina, I can never again say, "I'm going hiking on the Appalachian Trail for a few days." I hate that guy.

3. I always write down the name of the trail(s), where the trailhead is, the closest town with services and a HUGE window for return except when nailing down times is necessary for practical reasons.

4. She knows that a) I don't get lost, b) I know a few things about taking care of myself if needed, and c) that she doesn't really want to know the details most of the time.

5. I'll text her a short msg when done and heading home... But even that's iffy in the valleys. And she's cool with that too, so no biggie.

It all works out rather well and until I seriously hurt myself, we're happy.

nobody is immune to accidents, sudden illness, or unexpected weather changes.

Maybe you'd rather die than rely on someone to rescue you, but think of the unnecessary worry to your family and extra work for SAR if you don't even give them a clue where to start looking when you've been missing for two days. Consider the Japanese-Canadian guy who perished on Mount Washington recently.

Point taken but my family has seen me dissappear into the mountains for 30 years and they dont worry, when Im out west living I dont talk to them for days anyway so thats a moot point. as far as SAR folks, not to sound selffish those guys are great and all, but Im not at all worried how where or how long they will look for me because im not asking them to look for me. I know the concept is tough for most but I want the chance to get out myself even if it takes days to do it, and know im not worried about not making it out Im just not.