whats the black fly prediction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Because of the long snow cover this year, what is the outlook for black fly's? Usually in late may/early june I head down to the catskills because the fly's seem less of a problem down there. Is the schedule going to be pushed back or are they not going to be as bad this year?

They come in on Snowshoes and they leave on Snowshoes. :D :eek: :rolleyes:

They're here, now. Just spent the day canoeing down near the St. Regis area, the wind kept them away on the open water, but once we got near the shore and it calmed up they were crawling all over me. Inadvertently ate a couple too, yum yum- protein.

I was welcomed Friday afternoon in the Lake George region by a fair share of Black Flies - they did more swarming than attacking but a pain none-the-less. This morning (5/12) though the nice crisp air kept them away for my quiet walk in the woods.

Walk fast - Netting when you must stop for any length of time - DEET as a last resort.

I just returned from a hike from Wanakena south through Cowhorn and on to Low's Lake. Friday was warm all day, but the black flies did not come out strong until late afternoon. I think they must have been hatching all day. Lots of thick swarms when I stopped, but relatively few biting. Slow going through all the heavy blowdown south of Cowhorn makes it rough though - can't outrun them when climbing over logs - netting would be ripped to shreds - sweat quickly washes repellent off. On Saturday there was a little wind and cooler so it was pleasant. Still swarming a bit later in the day, with a higher percentage seeming to lust for blood. After a nice frosty morning today they were not out at all until I left Wanakena late morning.

They're out in strength in the Catskills also.

The reason you see swarms with little biting now is because the males hatch first. You start getting chewed on when the females blackflies hatch.

Got a few bites from black flies this weekend while fly fishing in a local river. They'se a comin'!

The reason you see swarms with little biting now is because the males hatch first. You start getting chewed on when the females blackflies hatch.

Hmmmmm, very interesting concept. It appears to be applicable to other aspects of life as well. ;)

My only question is, how do you tell a male blackfly from a female blackfly? :confused:

Good eyes, mate! :D