What's the shortest and fastest way to do Doubletop, Catskills?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
April should be a good time to hike these peaks. Snow and ice should mostly be gone, hardwoods not yet leafed out = good visibility, and best of all, the nettles and bugs won't be an issue yet. I hiked Halcott last year on one of the first really warm days of spring, and since it is almost all hardwoods, there was no shade. Surprising how hot you can get climbing on those shadeless days in April. There are some nice hemlocks on the lower slopes of Halcott, not far up from the road. If you pause by one of them, check the ground for owl pellets.
April is a nice time in the Catskills.

Oh, and another good local beer is Keegan Ales, brewed in Kingston. I think you can get at least one of their beers at Winchells in Boiceville, or maybe at one of the places in Phoenicia. Anyway, have fun...

Matt

Yes, there are semi open views towards the north. There is an awesome spot though towards the Col between graham and DT with a wide open view towards Graham and south towards the Gulf of Mexico, etc.

Jay

Oh, and another good local beer is Keegan Ales, brewed in Kingston. I think you can get at least one of their beers at Winchells in Boiceville, or maybe at one of the places in Phoenicia.
I think Brio's does now, also the Hickory BBQ on Rt. 28 does. Keegan's is also very good.

Well, not exactly Brios (I don't believe they have a liquor license), but next door at the Sportsman Cantene (which you can order though from Brios)...

Jay

Is Brios in Phoenicia, same as the alamo? Last time we were there, they charged $14 for a pitcher of Yuengling. ouch. In the past, our favorite catskill beer has been capitol.

From what I have read, DT is supposed to have the best view of all the trailess peaks.

From what I have read, DT is supposed to have the best view of all the trailess peaks.
Yes, I believe that is the general consensus of Catskill hikers. Although this standard is not a particularly high bar given the rounded, forested summits of many of the trailless peaks.

Bearpen is among the best view competitors; owing to several viewpoints just north of the summit area at the former ski center. Although many hikers may not hike that far if they combine Bearpen and Vly.

Might want to quantify that by trailless peaks on the 3500' list. ;)

I think there are some trailless CHH peaks that are nicer. Graham has some nice views too, just next door and if you climb those steel beams... :D

Jay

agreed. When I finish the 3500, I will continue and try and get the 100. I was looking at the maps and it looks like there are some great hikes in the skills on peaks that are not 3500.

I agree about the views on BP.