What's there to do around Saratoga Springs & Lake Moreau?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Just found out I'm headed up to camp at Lake Moreau State Park north of Saratoga Springs this weekend (despite the predicted T-storms). I know there are some trails in the state park, but I don't know which one(s) are best, nor anything about the surrounding area.

Anybody have any suggestions for the area?
~ Short trails (0-6 miles round trip)?
~ Waterfalls?
~ Swimming Holes?
~ Great Restaurants?
~ Breweries?
~ Scenic overlooks?

This is my first time going anywhere in this area, so I'm completely clueless. And since this is such short notice, I don't have the time to pick up guidebooks and do any research myself, so I could definitely use some help!

Thanks

Last edited:
Saratoga isn't too far from Lake George (about 15 miles north on I-87). You could climb (or drive) up Prospect Mountain.

Also nearby are two firetower mountains, Black Mountain (about a 1 hours drive) on the east shore of Lake George, and Hadley Mountain (about a 45 minute drive), located west of Lake George. Both are pretty easy mountains. Black Mountain can be hiked as a nice loop, first climbing up to the summit, then down the back side and returning to the parking area by way of Black Mountain and Lapland Ponds.

You ought to be able to pick up a guidebook and map at the Adirondack Mountain Club's Headquarters in Lake George. The Eastern Region Guidebook, and the National Geographic Map for the Lake George region, should cover all three of the hikes I've mentioned.

Last edited:
Saratoga isn't too far from Lake George (about 15 miles north on I-87). You could climb (or drive) up Prospect Mountain.

Also nearby are two firetower mountains, Black Mountain (about a 1 hours drive) on the east shore of Lake George, and Hadley Mountain (about a 45 minute drive), located west of Lake George. Both are pretty easy mountains. Black Mountain can be hiked as a nice loop, first climbing up to the summit, then down the back side and returning to the parking area by way of Black Mountain and Lapland Ponds.

You ought to be able to pick up a guidebook and map at the Adirondack Mountain Club's Headquarters in Lake George. The Eastern Region Guidebook, and the National Geographic Map for the Lake George region, should cover all three of the hikes I've mentioned.

You forgot Buck; 6.6 round trip 2k of vert and some of the best open rocks views around. Eastern shore of Lake George. I'm told the trails in the park are actually quite good (and extensive) for the size of the park. Lots of places to hang out in Saratoga and Lake George. (you'll see or can just ask around while there).

The western ridge trail (yellow markers) has the most views.

There is one view point on the east ridge (moreau overlook), but it's a little overgrown.

You can easily put together a loop hike from the campground.

It's a very nice campground. We stayed there a weekend each year for about 15 years in a row, while attending a Jazz Festival in Saratoga. Public swimming beach is nice, as those go. I've hiked most of the trails, but it has been a number of years, so I don't really remember anything in particular about them. Saratoga Springs has no brewpubs I'm aware of, but there's a nice little Irish Pub, The Parting Glass, down off the main drag. Check out Saratoga Performing Arts Center online. They may have some sort of music going on. The Saratoga Spa State Park is interesting.

Did you go roadtripper? What did you do?

Staying one night in Saratoga on the way up further north but may look at something in the area. I think I have the days pretty well planned but always looking for feedback on other things people did that they enjoyed.

(will probably drive up Prospect after breakfast at the race track, My wife & I have done the hike before, & it's nice, but to much time with the kids & I'm saving the hiking time for Vanderwhacker later in the week.)

Hey Mike,

We didn't end up doing much hiking - just a few miles on the trails within the state park. Nice trails but nothing extraordinary. The lake is really nice, but you can only swim in designated areas. Water was very warm for this time of the year.

The campground @ Lake Moreau is loud on nights when there is a show at SPAC. The sites are well spaced apart and I'd stay there again. I'd say 50% percent of the campground was there to see Dave Matthews @ SPAC that weekend though. Lots of bongos playing at 1am sort of thing.

Spent some time in Lake George. A major tourist attraction, but still nice, especially this time of the year before the hordes arrive for the summer. Wanted to either hike or drive up Prospect Mountain but ran out of time. Also looked into renting tubes and going down a local river, but they wanted to supervise us :rolleyes:.

Glens Falls was a pleasant surprise. Some great little restaurants in the downtown area. We picked the brewery (name?), and it was excellent.

Although I'm not a native, GF has been home for 28 years. Glad you liked our little city! There is a lot to do and see, and many great places to eat (Davidson's is the brew pub), and it makes a convenient gateway to the Adirondacks. We do a LOUSY job of marketing this place, so thanks for the positive review!