when nature calls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well isn't that interesting. And I thought it was unique - I guess word gets around. I've been "demonstrating" that technique to my trek leader students each of the past 20 years, using a striped maple (goose-foot maple) leaf instead of paper. Tear out a small piece of the center portion with the strong main vein to serve as a nail cleaner in case you are a bit too aggressive and the equipment fails. The advantage of the leaf over paper is it offers you the choice of a soft gentle side, or a rougher ribbed side for those times when you need just a little more friction. :rolleyes:

I was first given the "single sheet" lesson a little more than 20 years ago while attending a canoe camp in Maine. At the tender age of 11, I was more than shocked - and have enjoyed the joke to this day.

Adult diapers are where it's at. You can feel like a kid again!

If you insist on burying, a rock on top isn't really enough. I build little cairns.

I was first given the "single sheet" lesson a little more than 20 years ago while attending a canoe camp in Maine. At the tender age of 11, I was more than shocked - and have enjoyed the joke to this day.

It's more than 20 years old, I heard it 34 years ago when attending a trail camp that Killington ski area used to run.

on a mildly related note.

I have been seeing a lot of bagged poop on the trail. Im assuming is dog poop but perhaps not :eek: whats the point of bagging up poop to just leave the poop filled plastic bag on the side of the trail ? Its never going to biodegrade wrapped in plastic.

I usually pick up trash and pack it out but I just can't bring my self to do it with a bag-o-poop

I don't think human waste is toxic (in the sense of it containing poisonous chemicals), it can, however, contain pathogens (parasites, etc). The purpose of burying it is to keep the pathogens out of the surface water and to help the soil bacteria degrade it.

My view is that one should do what one can to minimize the chance of spreading the pathogens.

Doug

I was using 'toxic' in the larger sense, as in full of bisphenol-something, extra estrogens, 10% ethanol (heading to 15%) or the moral stain of, say, the Trail of Tears. As long as we got Olestra out of the game, I figure it's okay if we leave in few "pathogens." As Mel Brooks would say, "Pathogens, schmathogens! As long as you got your health."

I would also think that at some point, the construction of perfectly inviolable shit-vaults would approach the absurd (which would never happen here). Maybe you could rent one from the Loj.

I have been seeing a lot of bagged poop on the trail. Im assuming is dog poop but perhaps not :eek: whats the point of bagging up poop to just leave the poop filled plastic bag on the side of the trail ? Its never going to biodegrade wrapped in plastic.

I've seen this often in places where dogs are walked. If the dog poops on the outbound trip, the poop gets bagged and retrieved on the inbound trip. This, however, requires someone who is actually going to remember to retrieve it, as well as even notice where they left it, on the return trip. And of course if left for more than a day, an animal is going to get into the bag and then nobody's going to want to pick it up.

This is an interesting conversation. Raise your hand if you can do your business wearing your snowshoes (and not soiling them).

. Raise your hand if you can do your business wearing your snowshoes (and not soiling them).

Grab a slim tree with one hand, squat while pushing out the exit zone behind you. The tree keeps you from going off balance and falling backwards. (Not a pretty thought but your friends will laugh their asses off). The sharp angle of the extended squat leaves you business far behind you and the other hand is free to do the paper work. :) When you stand up move your shoes carefully, kick snow over everything.

If you do yoga this should be a simple move..ment. :D

This thread has a bit more info than I need to know ...:eek:

This is one of those topics where less is more.

Keep those ski and snowshoe tips at a "V", or poop will end up on the tails of thee.

Grab a slim tree with one hand, squat while pushing out the exit zone behind you. The tree keeps you from going off balance and falling backwards. (Not a pretty thought but your friends will laugh their asses off). The sharp angle of the extended squat leaves you business far behind you and the other hand is free to do the paper work. :) When you stand up move your shoes carefully, kick snow over everything.

If you do yoga this should be a simple move..ment. :D

I've got a similar technique where I stomp a hole right in front a tree (checking to make sure no snow-loaded branches above), straddle the hole with my snowshoes angling away and lean back against the tree to take the weight off my legs.

Perhaps the makers of Gold Bond were avid snow-poopers.

I’m curious as to what the de facto standard of wiping is for the ladies after peeing?

1. Drip dry?
2. TP left in the woods?
3. TP carried out?

I’m curious as to what the de facto standard of wiping is for the ladies after peeing?

1. Drip dry?
2. TP left in the woods?
3. TP carried out?

they make female urination devices. i have seen one in use.
pretty much the coolest thing i have seen on a summit!