Where is YOUR Mosely Woods?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four miles from those hills,

I LIVE in those hills. Actually, on the Ponkapoag side, which has plenty of trails, x-skiing in the winter, the bog walk and tons of adventure. My dog never had it so good!

Learn how to navigate through Dorchester, Mattapan and you can get to the Blue Hills a bit faster than the dreaded expressway.

barry,
bring those dogs by the camp anytime.

Peace.

Double Bow said:
Where do you go when the woods are calling you strongly but you can't get to the mountains? What is your special place, your Mosely Woods?

I'm fortunate enough to live 1/2 hour from North Pack in Greenfield NH. There are several trails to choose from (Wapack = 3 miles roundtrip, Ted's trail and Carolyn's trails are longer). I hike that mountain every month and love to see how it changes from season to season. Despite how frequently I've traveled up and down its slopes, I have never tired of it. The views from the top of Mount Monadnock, South Pack, Mt. Wachuset (sp?) in MA, and other mtns in VT are wonderful. In winter the air is so clear that I swear you can see the Whites in the far distant north. I feel very lucky to be able to hike this gem when I don't have the time to venture farther away.

Roxi

I walk out the door and walk for as far as I need to. I could spend a couple days out there without running into anyone.

Since I moved up to NH, Pawtuckaway State Park in Nottingham, NH has been a great place to go for a quick hike before or after work with the dog. The fire tower gives you great views of the area and some great sunsets. When in Mass, I used to head out to Wachusett and Watatic for a quick hike.

Fortunately I live within 30 minutes of several Catskill 3500 trailheads. But when I am looking for a real short hike I often opt for the Palenville Overlook and Indian Head Rock in the Kaaterskill Clove.

There are also many nearby options in the Hudson Valley. I often visit the Shaupeneak Ridge, John Burroughs' Slabsides retreat, and the Mohonk Preserve in the Shawangunks (great rock scrambles at the Bonticou Crag, Rock Rift Crevices, Eagles Cliff, and the Giants Workshop, or a long woods walk on the secluded Undivided Lot Trail).

In RI it is Arcadia Management Area, quiet and serene. Lots of places to take the little ones.

...Joe

This is going to sound stupid but here in Boston, while there are some nice places to go (Emerald Necklace) there's not a whole lot that I can walk to or is reasonably T-accessible (I hate driving and I even hate taking the lousy T). If, however, I can get the pool at my gym empty -- with no F'ers thrashing around or looking at you funny, either in the pool or the tub -- I'm happy. It's nice to have the whole place to myself. I guess it's my city equivalent to walking out the back door and into the woods...

-Dr. Wu

Thorncrag Bird Sanctuary does it for me. It's 1-1/2 miles from my home and in it I feel a world away. Thorncraig is a 310 acre wildlife preserve and at an elevation of 510 feet is the highest point in the city! (who's list is this on?!) where on a clear day you can see Mt Washington. It's been rightly described as "...a green capstone, a forested oasis surrounded on three sides by urban and suburban development."

shhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell anyone about it.

Onestep

I'm slowly exploring all of the undeveloped spaces in and around my hometown (seacoast NH) ranging from the well-known and arguably over-used (Fort Rock) to the very obscure (hmm, I wonder if this overgrown dirt track goes anywhere interesting...). I've been pleasantly surprised to find out how much of it is conservation land and/or easement. The others I need to get to before the developers do...
I've even found a few small 'peaks' to bag...