Where to camp friday night????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summit1

Reaction score
I plan on doing a loop hike up Cabot via Unknown pond and Bunnell Notch this Saturday. I was wondering where is a good place to camp Friday night to get an early start on Saturday. I am coming from the Boston area. The only place I can think of that is open this time of year is Hancock CG, but that is still~ 1+ hour from the trail. Any suggestions?

I've camped at the recovering gravel pit at the end of the Old Mill (name?) Road that leads to the trailhead ... the area is perhaps a couple of hundred yards past the trailhead to Unknown Pond and to the right.

Stan said:
I've camped at the recovering gravel pit at the end of the Old Mill (name?) Road that leads to the trailhead ... the area is perhaps a couple of hundred yards past the trailhead to Unknown Pond and to the right.
That's the wrong end of the Unknown Pond Trail - presumably if he's going to Bunnell Notch he's starting from the Fish Hatchery Road :) Also that campsite is technically illegal according to WMNF rules http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/recreation/land_above/backcountry_rules.html as it is within 1/4 mile of the trailhead

However it appears to be legal to camp along the Fish Hatchery Road or the loop road to the S as long as you're away from trailheads, I have camped along the loop road several times

Having camping gear is a good idea if the fish hatchery locks the gate on you :)

summit1 - please post a Trail Conditions report, I might do that loop a week later myself

Will they really lock you in behind the gate? That would not be good considering Sunday is Mother's day. I will make sure that I write a trail conditions report.:eek:

The gate is technically "locked" each evening. In actuality, it is rarely locked but is closed each night. The trailheads are down the road from the fish hatchery so they may not see your car.

The one caveat is that there has been a bit of a vandalism spree in Berlin of late, so they may have started locking the gate.

The homeowner near the gate used to have the key if for any reason you get stuck.

All good stuff. It also wouldn't hurt to let the folks at the Hatchery know your plans. All are really great people up there. If you get delayed or something they will be aware.

The fish hatchery gate is rarely locked-it's usually closed but not locked. If you give the guys at the hatchery a heads up,they will usually let you close it behind you. About a half mile in on the Bunnell Notch trail,where it's still more of a logging road,there is a clearing on the left. On the far side of the clearing is a stand of pines,and it's a good spot to set up. Must admit,however,that I camped in winter,so I'm not sure if it's wet this time of year. Be prepared for mud...lotsa mud on the Bunnell Notch trail at the lower end.