Which AMC Patches are for winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
Does anybody know which AMC patches are for any-season and which are for winter? Does anybody know how they came to be designed as they are?

attachment.php

The AMC regular and winter patches for the Whites(rectangle) and the NE67(circle) are the same except for colors, and a slight size difference between the Whites patches. All four have identical lettering: "AMC" and "4000" only. On the NE67 patches, the location switches.

My first thought was that the NE67 patch with the 3 states in white must be the winter patch. That means that the patch with the region in green is for any season. Both Whites patches show snow covered mtns, so the Whites patch with the green lower mountain must also be any season, leaving the one with the blue lower mountain to be for winter.

Why blue for winter? Because the sky is so much bluer then? Because sometimes when you look down into a pole hole, the snow looks blue? But if blue is used for winter, then maybe the AMC intended the border of the patch to be an indicator. In that case, the 3-states-in-white NE67 is still winter, but the blue bordered Whites with the green lower mountain would be winter. That leave the blue lower mountain as the all season. Why blue for all season?

But the NE111 patch has a blue border, and I was told there is no W111 patch, though maybe there will be next year. So in this case, the blue border is for any season.

Am quite sure the patches on the right are winter. I've never seen the rectangle on the left - maybe it's the latest version?

As for the history of them - if someone doesn't offer a reasonable/plausible explanation, then next time you're in Lincoln stop at the Mountain Wanderer and ask Steve Smith.

I agree with Bryan.

I don't have winter patches, and my all season patches are the ones with the red borders (rectangle on right, circle on left).

Since I do not have the patches with the Blue borders, but I do have the patches with the Red borders, I agree with the majority here. We could debate the color choices for 100 posts, but they are the WHITE mountains after all, and Blue is a good cold color, IMHO. At least if you are not talking to physicists, who would say that Blue is hotter than Red! :p

The certificate is light beige for any and light blue for winter, continuing the blue=winter theme. The printing is 2 points or so smaller on winter so they can add "in winter" on the last line.

Tim

Congratulations on getting it all done Mark!

I know you earned Coe and South Brother!

The certificate is light beige for any and light blue for winter, continuing the blue=winter theme. The printing is 2 points or so smaller on winter so they can add "in winter" on the last line.

Tim

Tim, I just got the certificates last Friday and noticed the blue pattern. That made me more sure of the blue border issue, but I still wasn't comfortable with the green-in-winter thing. I'll just have to keep telling myself "That's spruce green, and in the summer, the mountains are covered in blueberries."

Thanks to everyone else for their observations. I'm convinced blue border = Winter.