Which Clubs/Organizations do you have Membership?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What NE Organizations to you belong to?

• ADK

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • AMC

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • 46ers

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • 48ers

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • NEHH/NE115

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • High Pointers

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
mike46r said:
Adirondack Mt. Club
Appalachian Mt. Club
Green Mt. Club
Berkshire Knapsackers, a western Mass hiking group

I have been an Adirondack 46er since the early '90s, but haven't paid my dues for several years

Tsk, tsk, thought about giving a red square for that, but didn't! :)

mcorsar said:
People clearly tend towards the Clubs most appropriate to their geographic location. Case in point, I'm not an AMC member since I've yet to get over to New England and probably won't get there w/ any frequency any time soon.

I like the clubs for their education, trail work, advocacy, political action, and publications. NYNJTC makes great maps, ADK great trail guides. And of course visiting ADKs legendary properties are part of the whole High Peaks experience, whether one can afford to actually stay there or not-I can't. :rolleyes:
Matt

Matt,

Thanks for your elequent post. This is exactly what I was going for with this thread. Already on this thread I have learned of over a dozen organizations that I had previously never heard of. Unfortunately, I cannot give to all, but try to support those organizations who's resources I take advantage of. (I probably owe the Green Mountains a few $$) I encourage all of you to do the same, as well as giving up some $$ to Darren for his cause. Where do I Paypal my money again?

-percious

AMC, MATC, MITA, MPGA, and NEHH. I admire the work and maps of ADK, GMC, RMC and others but one can only pay so much in dues ... and, my heart is in Maine.

Catskill 3500
Adirondack 46ers
New York New Jersey Trail Conference
ADK
Mohonk Preserve
John Burroughs Association

I was previously a member of more organizations, but over time I decided it would do more good to contribute to fewer, but at higher levels. I tend to contribute to the organizations that maintain trails in areas where I hike most often.

I didn't bother clicking anything, because I can't click more than one at a time.

But

Adirondack Mountain Club (Greater Boston Chapter)
Appalachian Mountain Club
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Pacific Crest Trail Association

Adirondack Forty-Sixers (2002 completer)
White Mountain (2002) and New England 4000-Footers (2004)
111ers of the Northeastern U.S.A. (2004)
I've done 84% of the New England Hundred Highest list, so I'm not yet a "member". And I'm halfway through the Adirondack Hundred Highest list, for what that's worth.

American Civil Liberties Union
Amnesty International USA
Brain Tumor Society
Defenders of Wildlife
Friends of the Earth
Greenpeace
Habitat for Humanity International
National Parks Conservation Association
Natural Resources Defense Council
Sempervirens Fund
Sierra Club
Student Conservation Association
Sudbury Valley Trustees
Trustees of Reservations
Trust for Public Land
Views from the Top (that's a given!)
World Wildlife Fund

Added six after my initial posting.

I let my two-year membership in the National Scrabble Association lapse this year. Just in time to miss out on the fourth edition of the NSA dictionary, too, darn it.

Last edited:
I belong to the NY/NJ trail conference. It is a great club. The membershipp is reasonable and all their trainings are free. The AMC would be better if they make it more afordable. You can not do anything with the AMC without having to pay. Other than than that I am not a big club person.

Newfs

New England Wildflower Society, including their famous Garden in the Woods. Look in your local library for Bill Cullina's masterpiece "Native Trees, Shrubs, and Vines: A Guide to Using, Growing, and Propagating North American Woody Plants." Even as a young guy, he has produced something highly valued throughout his peerage and the general public. If you're into planting native species in your own patch of Alpine Garden, check out this book.

Also, the Sudbury Valley Trustees are doing their best to preserve open space in eastern Massachusetts. Try walking parts of the land around Nobscot and the Wayside Inn (without giving too much away). It was good enough for Henry David Thoreau and Henry Ford (albeit for different reasons).

If you wanted close to the heart, there it is.

ps: BSO, MFA and the Red Sox, too.

AMC and Green Mountain Club. I also have been a member of the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests.

ADK (Keene Valley Chapter)
46ers (though I haven't received my number or any request for dues as of yet, so I guess this is only quasi-official...won't be able to make the Oct 1 meeting unfortunately)

AMC - membership was a gift but plan to maintain it. Also Friends of Animals.

...Joe