Which of the 48 4k'ers would you trade?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Not to rub it in, but not only did we get about 10" of fluffy snow yesterday in southern Rhode Island, but a facilities problem at work resulted in a surprise day off for me to go snowshoeing today. Since you guys in northern NH got just about no snow, I was wondering... I'll trade you 10" of snow for your least favorite 4k'er. Which one would you let go. I know it's a sucker's bet, but just play along. Which one would you trade, and why?
p.s. driving 3.5 hours to hike is a bummer, so I'll take any of them.

We could use one in CT too. We do have some open peaks though in Bear & Round & just over the boarder in MA, we have Race & Everett & just over the wester boarder, Brace so I' wouldn't want a wooded peak just to say we have a 4K peak.

RI I think should have Cabot, complete with the alleged gun-toting landowner but just one trail across his land. That way RI's new highpoint could regain it's position as the hardest State High Point to summit. :D :eek:

Take Carter Dome if you want. 20 people standing around talking loudly on a sandy, stoney summit with limited views. A 4,800 peak should be above treeline!!

I'll keep Mt. Hight, no crowds(cause it's not on the list!) and what a view!!

If we take Carter Dome, Hight would then be the highest peak in the Carters, would be 15th Highest on the list since Carter Dome would be gone & it would become crowded....

Washington

Frankly, Washington is among my least favorities because of all the development up there. But then again, I guess we should allow one peak for those people who don't want to hike it.

Throw in $10.00 & you can have Zealand!
My least favorite summit. Although I still need it for my Winter 4K list.

Washington on summer weekends - you can have it...
The view just north of the Carter Dome summit is great - I will keep that one...
You can also have Cannon...do not care for development...

sapblatt said:
Washington on summer weekends - you can have it...

I couldn't agree more, but only during the summer days. I still would like to hike up the auto road in the middle of the night, as others here have done. :)

Last edited:
I would agree on Washington in the summer, but only if Glen Boulder and Boot Spur are NOT part of the deal. I would not want to trade Tecumseh, simply because it makes an easy point of reference when I am hiking in the area.

Cabot gets my vote, for the reasons outlined previously.

You may have Owls Head (the one in the Pemi), the most over-rated, over-defended, over-discussed, over-determined, mountain-over-a-molehill summit in the Whites. (You did ask for pet peeves, remember.) Now, where's my 10" of snow?

I'll also take unofficial 4k'ers

Waumbek said:
You may have Owls Head (the one in the Pemi), the most over-rated, over-defended, over-discussed, over-determined, mountain-over-a-molehill summit in the Whites. (You did ask for pet peeves, remember.) Now, where's my 10" of snow?

You'll get your snow when I get my mountain. By the way, I'll even take Boott Spur, Little Haystack, or another unofficial 4k'er. Since it'll be the only mountain in RI, it WILL be an official 4k'er, not just the shoulder of a taller neighbor.

By the way, I wouldn't take Washington. Here in RI, I'd give it a year tops before there would be a lawyer's office on the summit.

Waumbek said:

Over-rated, I think not. Over-discussed definitely but I wouldn't trade it with these kind of views.
owl21.jpg

Its not always about views for me..I like Zealand and Owls Head, they have charm on their own. Just going into the Whites and walking through boreal forest is beautiful on its own. I wouldnt trade any of them, except I would like to make some count. Guyot is one of the neatest mountains in the Whites along with Boott Spur. -Mattl

Mattl said:
Its not always about views for me..I like Zealand and Owls Head, they have charm on their own. Just going into the Whites and walking through boreal forest is beautiful on its own. I wouldnt trade any of them, except I would like to make some count. Guyot is one of the neatest mountains in the Whites along with Boott Spur. -Mattl

Agreed!!!...Sorry, but the 10" of snow isn't even worth a single square foot of WMNF. All of the mountains have their own beauty. I don't blame you for wanting some of it nearby. That's why I moved here from southern RI! ;)

Agree with Sapblatt, however, with the summit areas on Mt Washington and Cannon Mt. I've learned to accept the cog, buildings, etc. I just avoid those summits, but not the rest of the mountain. :)

Happy Trails!

Take one of the Colorado 14ers, one of the insignificant and arid ones by Colorado standards. Now imagine a 14K foot peak with the New England seacoast climate. That would be a heck of a mountain now within driving distance of me. How about this one...(randomly chosen)
http://www.14ers.com/photos/MtLindsey/p_mtlindsey.html

Colorado would never miss it, like taking rounded off pennies from a bank account like in "Office Space"... :D

Last edited: