while hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike P. said:

Chomp, how do you deal with all the hiking ladies after your hot bod????? I forgot how I fought them off when I was your age. less gray, hairy & fit 12 or 13 years ago :D :D ;) :D

Oh boy...

Peakbagr, those 7-2 odds that this thead spiraling downhill were a little off.

Last edited:
I've never had my car broken into up in the Adirondacks, but someone did let all the air out of one of the tires of my hiking buddy's car when parked at the lower Ausable Club parking lot. Not a pretty site after a long day of hiking. We ended up putting the temporary mini spare on, went down to the Stewart's in Keene, filled up the flat tire, and that tire has held air ever since.

I've had my car broken into twice in the Whites. Once, at 19 mile brook trailhead, they broke the passenger side window and stole a daytimer and a paper bag containing clean sweat pants, underwear, socks and a shirt for the ride home. Another time was at Appalacia with nothing in the car. The worst part about this is cleaning up the glass. It gets everywhere. My advice: bring duct tape and some plastic for a quick window repair.

I parked my car one Friday night in the fall at the start of the Garfield Ridge trail. It was already dark and I was planning to make the campsight around 1 AM. Just as I walked into the woods 2 cars of kids pulled up and started partying. I stayed there for a few minutes and watched from the shadows, but figured there was nothing I could do so I trotted off. I expected to find a vandalized vehicle, but when I returned a few days later all was fine.

All I take with me when I go is my drivers license, ATM card, $20 cash (all in a zip lock), my pack & clothes for the ride home. I figure anything left in the car has to be counted as expendable. Sad, but true.

After recovering from seeing Pete's link my mind started thinking. I could enclose any valuables in a (preferably) clean diaper.

I usally carry my wallet (very litte cash) with me on hikes. As for the car IF possible I will park mine next to one that looks nicer then mine! (which are most)

Until now - I've always felt safe parking my truck anywhere in the Adks and have even left extra equipment in the unlocked cap. Never again! Thanks for teaching me this lesson the easy way rather than the hard way!!!

I've yet to have a problem in the Whites. Then again, my car is old and the inside is usually filthier than the outside -- not very enticing. The potential for contracting disease is probably the deterrent.

If anyone is desperate enough to steal my NH toll tokens and the $5 emergency gas fund stashed in my rotting Civic, they can have at it. I wonder if my insurance company would mind if I put a sign on the passenger window that says "Thieves: Break Me". It would be nice to get a new window that works.

BTW, Pete, that sort of thing should come with a spew alert. Thanks for the chuckle.

Back in the day when crack was king in NYC and you were fool enough to both own a car AND try to park it on the street there were a number of sights peculiar to New York. One was the small piles of smashed auto glass next to every car in Greenwich Village at 3AM. Another were the different varieties of hand written signs in each car window. They were usually a variant of 'NO RADIO' (some in Spanish said 'NO RADIO' with an upsidedown exclamation point). Those days taught me a number of valuable lessons.

1) It doesn't matter if you leave your doors unlocked. They'll still break the side window.

2) It didn't matter if you had the cheapest stock radio. For some reason crack heads loved them.

3) The sign actually helped. It never occured to the thieves that the owner of the car might be lying.

4) If you went to a kinder gentler city and forgot to remove the sign you might find 2 or 3 old radios on your hood the next morning.

I have no real pearls of wisdom for this thread except that New Yorkers with cars carried on a successful dialog with crack head thieves for a number of years. Eventually residents would have the signs and the crack heads would just hit cars the bridge and tunnel kids borrowed from dad.

ExploreTheEast said:
While we're asking questions like "do you carry x amount of money on the trail," we'd also like the following information:

1. Your home address.
2. Do you have a dog?
3. Do you have an alarm on your home?
4. What is the code for that alarm?
5. What times of day are you usually not home?

Thank you for this information, it will greatly improve our hiking experience! :)

Seriously, I don't know what's more ridiculous- telling strangers you carry money on the trail, or telling strangers you illegally carry a firearm on the trail.

I was just asking.

I live on St. Bernies street, blue house, upstairs apartment in saranac lake. no dog. no alarms.I work nights an hour away and no one is around from 8pm until 5am, neighbors are all college kids and wouldn't here anything unless it happened after 12 noon.

If it makes you less nervous, any time you see a guy coming towards you on the trail with two braces and a smile, well, just flat out run cuz it's me draggin myself into the woods to commit snatch and limp.:D

I always carry at least $300 and a debit card, and CC on me, lots of places I need help or something from don't take CC or ATM's here, so cash is king. wanna rob me? you won't be the first or probably the last.

David Metsky said:
I always thought that a spare 8-track or two left on the dash pretty much assured no breakins.

-dave-

LOL!!:D :D that's great I'm going to use that 8 track line, I'll give credit and a loony each time I do.:p

I posted this other places, and one group told me they had parked 4 cars and left them all unlocked at the Wanakena road into high falls a few years ago, they came back out and all the stuff from car 1 had been moved into car 2 and so on and so on.

they thought it was a pretty harmless, if time consuming prank.

Pin Pin can tell you on my behalf that there is no possible way I asked this to set up a mugging.:D I gotta tell you if hikers were all so great Noah wouldn't have started locking his camp and hiding his valuables away in cans whenever he left for any time.

times change, the early hikers that Noah and other write about are not teh same as the peak baggers today, I am not really in either group, I live vicariously through pinpin, who remembers me in morning prayers and breaks on his first peak of the day.

the only thing I know about mugging is on the receiving end.

DAXS: where in philly did you live? I was there almost 8 months, mugged twice, one car stolen and bad for me, it was found. I already had the insurance check spent.LOL. and i actually lived in the suburbs. now i was offered a job back home by my dad's friend. thanks to the Boss I am done with city beating, now onto the country beatings! LOL>

I hope this doesn't ruin anyone's hiking, I wish I was with you all , but meanwhile I pray you all have great hikes, with those you love, and that the serenity and peace of the woods here and anywhere are with you even after you return home.

I gotta run I want to check a few more posts and the Boss loggs in here now and then to see how many posts I make when I'm suppossed to be working.:D

jj

Last edited: