White Mountain Hiking/History Quiz

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Topic, Great Quiz, Backwards Seniority

Great all around, except one thing:

When I was a mere boy in a college association (and will go no further in its description), I was formally introduced to the concept of reverse seniority, wherein it is a propos to defer to the less educated -- more enthusiastic -- juniors to reap the low-hanging fruit, saving the tough ones for the veteran seniors. We called such an infraction "going to the goat." Graduates of small, liberal-arts colleges should immediately glean my meaning.

Risking my green points (it all being in good fun), I would call out the early responders on such a thread to hold their fire so that the youngsters can get a bite.

Boldly,

--M.

Last edited:
RoySwkr said:
Hancock Spur had an old firefinder stand among the debris while I was there, back when the logging camps on Cedar Brook were operating this peak was both useful and convenient.
It wasn't there when I went up this summer! There was a few artifacts but for the most part a nice spot in the woods to sit and eat lunch.

When did logging operations on Cedar Brook cease?

-Dr. Wu

Okay, w/o looking at anyone else's answers yet or consulting my WM history books (and thereby probably embarrassing myself....)
1: Hancock and Carrigain
2: Beats me. Mr. GP Bond was a cartographer... did he have a newsletter? If not, I'm going with Mr. North Twin.
3: Church Pond
4: the Rosebrooks
5: Harvard Falls
6: Flume, Liberty, Little Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette, Garfield, (Galehead), South Twin, Guyot, Bond, (West Bond), Bondcliff
7: Profile Lake?
8: The AT itself only goes over 6--North and South Kinsman, Lincoln, Lafayette, Garfield, and South Twin. I think. (Where's that map?...)
9: I think this is a trick question, so I'm going with 0. That's right, zero. Garfield and Carrigain aren't within the boundary. (The answer's probably 17, but I'll go with 0.)

EDIT: Okay, the answers are already posted. Bummer. I guess I didn't do too bad.

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
Answers

[start quote]

2. According to authors Robert and Mary Julyan (Places Names in the White Mountains), the Lend-A-Hand Trail up 4,077-foot Mount Hale is named after a journal for charitable organizations once edited by Rev. Edward Everett Hale, the Boston pastor and author whose name lives on atop the previously mentioned summit.
[end quote]

I just found a quote from Edward E. Hale from which the journal name may have come:

"Look up, and not down;
Look forward, and not back;
Lend a Hand!