White Rocks, Vermont is a gem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugach001

Reaction score
I finally did a long pondered hike loop at White Rocks near Wallingford, VT. I'm hooked. Approach the bottom via trail, scramble up the boulder field, class 3 scrambling up the face direct, then hit the summit trail, connect to the AT and back down to the parking lot. About 2 hours of good fun and cardio.

That's a nice hike -- I did it frequently after work when I lived in Wallingford.

Another hike you may enjoy in the area is the Homer Stone Trail, up to Little Rock Pond, around the pond, return the same. Its about a 6 mile round trip. The Homer Stone Trail follows a very beautiful brook and is a gently ascending trail. The brook crossing can be tricky at high water.

:)

Single Canine - where does the Homer Stone Trail start from? I am without maps at the moment. I have been in from the south near Mt. Tabor along the AT but no other way. I suspect any approach from Rt. 7 would be a steep climb??

Craig - thanks for the confirmation. Most folks don't believe just how influential I have become.

Jason - yes, it's a great old forest up there. I'm not sure about regs but a bivy at the top would be a great evening.

Jeff

The trail begins in South Wallingford, about a mile off Rt 7 between Mt Tabor and Wallingford. I am at a loss to remember the name of the side road, but if travelling north, there is a rambling older home that last I was there served as a flea market. Take a right there, follow the road across the RR tracks, then make a left on Homer Stone Rd. Follow Homer Stone Rd about 1/4-1/2 mile; and there is a small parking area for two to three cars on the left and a trail sign. The trail begins as a small ATV trail, climbs through some woods gently, climbs a steep little rise, then turns right onto a beautiful hemlock lined woods road, that rises gradually about 1500 feet along the brook -- in about 1.5-2 miles it reaches a hieght of land and there are some old campsites here. The trail then turns right and crosses the brook. The ATV trail continues. The brook is unbridged and deep in spring. The trail crosses the brook, and the area on the other side can be confusing. Stick to the main trail as there are several little trails here. A hunting camp can be seen through the woods here, and several old oil cans litter the area. Typical Vermont style old encampment stuff.:D Follow the trail to the left, and it begins a rocky footpath that climbs about an additional 400 to 500 feet or so -- nothing exposed, but there are often many nettles here in summer and the trail doesn't see much traffic. It tops out at the outlet of Little Rock Pond. Cross a series of bridged walkways to the left across the outlet, and you will join the Long Trail. Left (north) leads to a shelter (the name escapes me). Right (south) leads along the pond -- its quite beautiful. At the end of the pond, look for a small trail breaking off from the Long Path and heading right following the pond banks - there is much beaver activity here and in spring its often flooded for a stretch, but dries as it climbs some very nice large rocks jutting out of the far side of the pond. Just before you rejoin the Homer Stone Trail, the Green Mountain Trail comes down slope from the east. Another fine trail worth visiting.
Hope this helps. A Long Trail Map put out by GMC shows all of these trails and roads.

Little Rock Pond
ry%3D400

Jason, if you continue south on the LT from White Rocks proper, the forest continues as you describe along the ridge for about two miles. There are several areas where white rock scree lays on the forest floor. Its pretty cool. It looks like it was placed there by gnomes.

Last edited:
That place IS a lot of fun! Great scrambling! Had my first bear encounter there. never saw the bear, but we heard it, real close by :eek:!

If memory serves me correctly it's here, but that means turning right onto Homer Stone Road, not left, so Una_dogger can you double-check for me? I was always a passenger when we went there and not paying much attention.

Next stop on my journey of vermont Wanderings..perhaps after dorsett we can take a spin up to big Branch or Little Rock Pond..I summered in the Manchester (Sunderland) area during the formative years..Little Rock Pond..Big Branch..Jason..I have never scrambled up the White Rocks but certainly many times walked through the great pine woods of which you speak and come out at the summit...good times..!! Great places!!