Whitecap and N Kennabago

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Bigfoot,

I hardly recognized you! Did you loose your razor?? :D Congrats on the Maine bushwacks. It always rains in Maine, or is that Spain?

You are in good company over there.

Nice to hear from you Jabberwalk. We should hike again sometime. I met these three escapees over there. I found out one of them, Rocket 21 is sort of our godfather on the VFTT chain of membership. Interestingly enough it is a good thing they were not with me when I finished Snow. I was treating my self to a 12oz celebration for finishing the Maine portion of the NEHH, 1 1/2 hrs from the nearest paved road, when I looked in my rearview and saw blue lights. It was the Border Patrol and the lights remained off as they followed me all the way back to Rangely. If those other guys had been with me, we would all still be behind bars.

The bridge in question is about 75yds in on Wiggle Brook Road and about the same from Bear Brook Road.

It actually looks exactly like the bridge right before our campsite when we were up there....I dunno...all those Maine logging road bridges look the same to me...:rolleyes:

I thought that at first, too, but that was the Cupsuptic River.

jazzbo said:
bridge in photo is just south of confluence of Bear Brook and Kennebago River.

So it sounds like they indeed have rebuilt the bridge whose absence vexed so many until the Wiggle Brook Cutoff was created.

Rocket 21 is sort of our godfather on the VFTT chain of membership.

Godfather? Ha! All he did was lob "old" jokes at Jazzbo and me. More like a devil child ;)

Glad you "escaped" the Border Patrol, Bigfoot!

So it sounds like they indeed have rebuilt the bridge whose absence vexed so many until the Wiggle Brook Cutoff was created.

Yes MJ, that appears to be the case. It is DEFINITELY the Kennebago, as described by Jazzbo and Bigfoot.

Godfather? Ha! All he did was lob "old" jokes at Jazzbo and me. More like a devil child ;)

On the way back home on Sunday, Marty's cellphone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him, "Marty, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on I-95. Please be careful!"

"Hell," said Marty, "It's not just one car. It's hundreds of them!"

bridge in photo is just south of confluence of Bear Brook and Kennebago River.

This is a good thing for access in to the area. It also is a good thing because it should be in pretty good shape for a few years. Many of those bridges are pretty scary.

This is a good thing for access in to the area. It also is a good thing because it should be in pretty good shape for a few years. Many of those bridges are pretty scary.

I must say, the bridge didn't look particularly new...

And reading Bigfoot's directions, it seems like they turned on Canada/Kennebago road east of Little Kennebago lake, instead of directly onto Wiggle Brook Rd. west of the lake. So they'd have to go over that bridge!

Sounds like everyone's doing White Cap/NKD from the east these days. Has anyone done the threefer with Boundary from that direction? I may have to change my plans, although it does make things less convenient for knocking off Cup Snow...

Whitecap Nken is quite straught forward at this time. I did Boundary from Canada so cannot comment on the bushwhack. Snow cup was bothering me but it went very well. Trailhead access is good.

I must say, the bridge didn't look particularly new...

All I can say is that I have a GPS track confirming where I went to check out where the bridge to Canada Road (I was on the west side) over the Kennebago river used to be, and it was gone. That was a year ago. That was the location I posted a Google Map link to earlier in this thread.

The bridge you refer to and the one missing in the GPS location (i recognize many of the features shown from the ariel view such as the gravel pit in the lower lett corner)is very much there now. There is a lot of logging going on as can be seen in Jazzbo's photos. Huge trucks are running this bridge daily.

I thought the bridge looked pretty new. The decking on Jazzbo's bridge shot page 1 still had some color to it. It usually takes a couple of years to turn gray. It may have looked older because of the heavy beating it took from all the logging trucks.

Then again, please take into account that I am "old" and saw not one, but hundreds of bridges :rolleyes:

Marty

Last edited: