Whitecap and N Kennabago

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
From Stratton Maine

Turn left on RT 27

Turn left on Tim Pond Rd 6.1miles

Travel to Kennabago Rd on right @ 4 way intersection--Former Canada Rd 16.8 miles

Wiggle Brook Rd on left 2.8 miles

Cross bridge and go right on Bear Brook RD no sign 75yds

Stay on Bear Brook road as far as you can 4.3 miles Max

The forcast was for overcast with occasional showers. As I shouldered my pack it started to rain. Once again I was going solo. It stopped in 15 minutes. The trail was closed in with vegetation, which was still wet from the rain the night before. Staying dry would not be an option today.

I headed up the roadway looking for the col. The col is actually off to the left of the road and I walked past it. It was foggy so I could not get a visual fix on anything. I was looking for a turn to the right but my compas and GPS said left. This made no sense. I turned around and headed back down the road. There it was, a peice of tape on a tree marking the spot where a herd pathe begins (N45deg 14.0762' W 70 deg 48.7668') Still it would have been on my left. Now I realized I was above the col and actually on the eastern ridge. Following the path was easy and I was soon on Whitecap. A much easier hike than I expected.

I headed back to find a trail to N. Kennabago. and I herd voices. Not just in my head but for real. It was Marty, Jazzbo, and Rocket 21. We decided to do N Kennabago together. This was a more dificult hike as it took a while to settle in on a direction. Soon we found a herd path which Rocket21 was gracious enough to go first and knock all the water off the trees. He was soaked. Up to the top and back down a bit different than we went up.

A small peice of tape marks a great place to strat N Kennabago. We never noticed it until after the hike. Somehow the best starting places for bushwhacks are found when you are done.

I headed for the car and the self proclaimed Three Stooges headed for Whitecap.

This completed numbers 95 and 96 for me in my quest for the NEHH.

More to follow on #97.

Nice to meet the elusive BigFoot!

Absolutely. Glad we got to meet. Even happier that Rocket21 took one for the team in getting soaked while leading us on the herd path :p The debt has been paid in full, Rocket.

While driving to the bus this morning, I recalled our meandering in the Whitecap/NKD col. I then started singing the Billy Preston song "Will it go round in circles" :eek::)

Good luck on 97-100 Bigfoot!

Marty

Last edited:
What, no Boundary bushwhack? :D Just kidding, I see that TR a little further down. Great job, keep 'em coming!

Meeting Bigfoot in the col:

whitecapmtn01.jpg

Gee .... I was in a hurry this morning when I posted to Big foot's report on Snow. Bigfoot writes too many TR's. I should have posted this picture here. Here's BF with the green antler. I hear if you write really good reports you get a green antler.

And as long as we're posting funny pictures here's repeat of me spotting the meteor about to hit.

Some extra helpful information

These logging trailers were parked near junction of turnoff to Bear Brook and Bridge over Kennebago River and Wiggle Brook Road. Area is being actively logged big time.

Roads at this location formed something like a traffic triangle which enabled us to bypass all the lined up logging trailers. We saw this big rock spray painted "Cedric's Rock" at top of triangle.

This is just a sampling of some of the machinery we saw.

Last but not least we stopped to check out the bridge across Kennebago River. As of this writing it's in good shape in contrast to Papabear's TR from 2004.

Exactly which bridge is that? I know that as of this time last year, this bridge was still very much gone, with a big earth berm preventing vehicle access, and that many trip reports had referred to it as the usual way up from Canada Road to the southeastern access to NKD/WC.

"Don't tell me you bought the Brooklyn Bridge?!!"

"Of course not... that was sold last week."

Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Exactly which bridge is that? I know that as of this time last year, this bridge was still very much gone, with a big earth berm preventing vehicle access, and that many trip reports had referred to it as the usual way up from Canada Road to the southeastern access to NKD/WC.

It actually looks exactly like the bridge right before our campsite when we were up there....I dunno...all those Maine logging road bridges look the same to me...:rolleyes: