Whiteface and Esther via Connery Pond 7/28/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhihn

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve posted reports for any of my trips, but my hiking companions wanted me to do this one.

Maria, Cindy and I met at the Connery Pond trailhead off of Rt. 86. I’ve climbed Whiteface three times, but always from either the Research Center or the Wilmington Reservoir trailheads, so this approach was new to me. I found it to be much nicer than from the other side. Though longer (six miles to the summit), the woods were somehow more pleasant, majestic, and varied. Much of the trail was soft under foot and was mostly a very gradual ascent, with the first three miles being about as flat for the first three miles as the Adirondacks can be. It was not until after the lean-to that we started to climb, and we did so very gradually. There were a few minor rock ledges to negotiate, but nothing of much consequence. The higher we ascended the more rest stops we took, as my companions were in far better shape than I. Thanks to both of you for your patience. I learn a lot from each hike and seldom do I hike with partners with as much care for their fellow hikers as you two had!

The last .4 miles was a typical above treeline Adirondack rock scramble. It was quite enjoyable, my bellyaching notwithstanding! It was the usual tortuous climb from one ledge to another with eyes on the summit, wondering if we would ever get there. But get there we did, and arrived at the summit above the ski lift, near the “lookout machines” (whatever they’re called). We encountered the usual throng of people, some who were hikers, and some who have never hiked but drove to the top instead.

After a leisurely lunch we headed down for Esther. We passed the new ski area construction, which seemed to be quite a surprise to my companions. Esther’s turnoff was farther down the mountain than I recalled, but I knew it was obvious. One of my companions was concerned that we might have missed it, until we saw the huge rock in the middle of the trail, a three-foot high cairn, and a sign. These gave us vague clues as to where the turnoff was.

Esther (23th of the 46 highest) is named for Esther McComb (no relation to Macomb Mt.). She climbed it in 1839 at the age of 15, by mistake, as she was attempting to climb Whiteface. The mud fest out to Esther was thicker than I had remembered it, probably due to the copious summer rains. Although this is officially an “unmaintained herd path,” considerable trail maintenance throughout the trail was obvious. Companions were concerned about the drop after Lookout Mt., and I assured them that we were not near the summit, and that we still had to go down to the swamp and up to the summit where there would be a plaque on the rock. I knew there had been trailwork done in the swamp in recent years, and got to experience it first hand that day. A boardwalk now traverses the swampy area, removing any concern of slipping into the small but very wet bog. After several false summits, the trail ends at the rock with the plaque, which was replaced a couple of years ago. The plaque reads as follows:

1839 MT. ESTHER 1939
4270 feet
To Commemorate
the Indomitable Spirit of
ESTHER McCOMB
Age 15
Who Made the First Recorded
Ascent of the Peak
For the
Sheer Joy of Climbing

The rest of the trip was uneventful. A short stop at the Marble Mt. junction lookout was called for, then back to the car and out to dinner.

A word about the weather. With a forecast of 50% showers and thunderstorms, I was wondering about doing a 13+ mile hike with some hiking above treeline. Instead, the day turned out to be gorgeous, with alternating clouds and sunshine, and a nice breeze to keep away what few bugs were around. I have to learn to stop overreacting to weather reports.

Total mileage was probably in the neighborhood of 13.5 miles. Ascent was 3200 ft. for Whiteface, plus whatever Esther's ascent is.

Thanks Maria for your hospitality, and to both you and Cindy for a wonderful day!

Another variation

...is to veer off the trail up and connect with the slide - for all you slide climbers.

Or you can canoe or kayak from the boat launch in Lake Placid to Whiteface Landing, set up camp first and hike up! Highly recommended!

...is to veer off the trail up and connect with the slide - for all you slide climbers.

Or you can canoe or kayak from the boat launch in Lake Placid to Whiteface Landing, set up camp first and hike up! Highly recommended!
Or climb the slides on the ski slope slides. I've done all of these approaches and the slides were the best! Getting married on Whiteface was pretty cool too! :D