Whiteface

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxegraphix

Reaction score
As the trail report mentions, the woods were winter, the trail was not.
As you cross the ridge at Marble, bam, the winter starts. It was a long six months. I scooped up a handful of snow and bathed in it, then ate a bunch from a hemlock. Great to be back in winter.
I just wanted to say a word or two about Whiteface. The feeling of a wilderness experience just wasn't there for me. I had been up the mountain in the car with the kids one summer so I knew what to expect yesterday. In fact, that knowledge is what has kept me from hiking up the mountain all these years. Whenever I thought about doing the hike I cringed. The road, the buildings, the crowds.
I know that the road and the veteran's memorial at the top are significant and worthwhile rememberances of sacrifice and selflessness. I would never disparage those things. I just can't get used to seeing a road on an Adirondack peak. That's my problem and I'll get over it someday. I'm also aware of the economic importance of the Whiteface ski center, and I'm aware that weather research is of vital importance as well.
I just can't get used to seeing and hearing those things on an Adirondack peak either. The mountain is still the mountain and I did manage to find some rocks on the quiet western side to curl up in and enjoy some bivy time on the summit. But after an hour when I stood up those robot looking spyglass contraptions were peering down at me. Then came the walkway and the observatory and then the roar of the snow makers--I was yanked out of the wilderness and thrown back down into the world. And I did not like it. I felt bad for the mountain. The whole experience was like visiting wrongly imprisoned royalty. (Not something I do often)
Just like the rest of civilization, the road and summit buildings on Whiteface aren't going away any time soon. I do sincerely hope however, that no new peaks are imprisoned by progress.

I'll be staying in the Whiteface area for a few days, right after Christmas, shepherding a daughter who'll be attending a ski training session at the ski area. The skiing might be spotty, if the weather doesn't turn around over the next two weeks, so it struck me that this might be a chance to climb one of the ADK 4Kers - my first. "Search" yielded your Trip Report as the latest on Whiteface, from which I gather that it's far from the toughest, if far from the most pristine. I'd want to keep any hike as short as possible, so as not to neglect the parenting.

I also Googled to see if I could get some info on trails, ideally maps, but didn't find anything very useful. Is there a standard guide, such as the AMC White Mountain Guide for northern NH?

Any insights appreciated, by this ADK newbie.

You can use this to get started:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.39368&lon=-73.85815&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=100

(Zoom in or out to your heart's content)

The "+" is the start of a trail that leaves a loop road near the Atmospheric Research Center. It goes up over Marble, then over the shoulder of Esther (a herd path goes off to the right for the summit), and then finally to Whiteface. It's about 5-6 miles each way. It's certainly not the most difficult or most easy peak of the 46R's. There is exposure at the summit, and I have heard people were defeated by the high winds above tree line, so be prepared.

(Let me just add that the start of this trail is not marked, but it is well trodden. You go thru the woods a bit, turn left on a road, and then follow a straight shot up to the Marble Summit. There used to be a ski center there, and you can see it on the topo, as well as the straight trail. I managed to figure it out the first time I went. The marked trail starts a little lower down at the Reservoir and meets this trail at the Marble summit).

There are other approaches as well, including from the Lake, and just going all the way up the road.

As for a Guide, there is the ever popular ADK Trail Guide to the High Peaks, which comes with a topo map:

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...4441779869&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302871329

Welcome to the DAX! :D

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
As for a Guide, there is the ever popular ADK Trail Guide to the High Peaks, which comes with a topo map:

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...4441779869&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302871329

Welcome to the DAX! :D

Thanks for the good information. I think that Trail Guide belongs in my hiking library anyway, so I'll order a copy. I won't tackle Whiteface later this month unless conditions are mild - I can bring Stabilicers and warm clothes but would not be up for a hardcore, above-treeline winter adventure.

Amicus said:
Thanks for the good information. I think that Trail Guide belongs in my hiking library anyway, so I'll order a copy. I won't tackle Whiteface later this month unless conditions are mild - I can bring Stabilicers and warm clothes but would not be up for a hardcore, above-treeline winter adventure.
The duration of the exposure is not very great. And I was up there once in the winter with dead calm! But I just wanted to make sure you knew what to expect.

Also, check out http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/

Sorrry for this belated reply. Tom's advice is on the mark as usual. There are several other short hikes that are popular because they are easily accessed. Cascade is one. It's only a couple miles. It's moderately steep with a cool open summit. It, like Whiteface, is subject to some wicked winds. Mt.Jo near the Adirondack Loj is another short but good intro mountain. That is under two miles. The top has some open spots with nice views of the High Peaks.
Have fun and always prepare for the worst.

adirondackjourney.com is a very reliable source for maps, trail descriptions and first hand accounts.

bridgeman said:
adirondackjourney.com is a very reliable source for maps, trail descriptions and first hand accounts.

Thanks (and the same to Tom Rankin and daxegraphix). I'll definitely check out that site, and it still looks like spotty ski conditions may lead me to devote a part of my three days to climbing my first Dack summit.