Who talks while hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you talk while hiking with freinds?

• Never.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Only in life threatning situations

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Some small talk sometimes

Votes: 59 66.3%
  • I am a regular chatterbox

Votes: 25 28.1%

• Total voters
I don't talk too much when I'm solo. Saturday I hiked with a friend and it was non-stop, including a lengthy debate on the definition of consensus. We reached no consensus.

As for preferences, I'd say my favorite hiking companions are two female friends who do a fine job of holding a converstion. When I'm with them I don't feel any pressure to contribute and I can concentrate on the suroundings. But then, if they hit on a topic that grabs my interest, I'm more than willing to participate.

Last edited:
Re: I'm a singer

As far as talking, I usually opt for silence when going up, with lots of exceptions of course. It's mostly because I like to get lost into that hiker's rhythm that's so unique and kind of let my mind just wander naturally without thinking about anything in particular or what to say. Great de-stresser this hiking is. Plus I find that talking a lot on the way up interferes too much with my gasping for air, lol. Once on top, I enjoy meeting and talking at length to other hikers if the occasion arises.
Pete_Hickey said:
I have sung about SPAM while hiking :)
haha, I do sing on rare occasions, too (and terribly), but only if I'm feeling pumped and foolish on the way back from a long hike and nobody's within hearing distance other than some poor soul in my group. If I'm really dragging, (many times the case), then there's no singing. When the singing does occur, Eric Burdon (Animals) songs are among my favorites....such as "We Gotta Get Out of this Place" (especially if the black flies are biting) and his (or Tina's) version of "River Deep, Mountain High". That one's fun to belt out when coming down from a mountain.

Re: I'm a singer

Pete_Hickey said:
I have sung about SPAM while hiking :)

Would that be Monty Python?

"I haaaaaaaaaaate spam!!!" :D

I'll sing when I'm alone so as not to subject anyone else to my voice. My voice sounds great when I'm alone, in the shower or singing along with the car radio. That's it though.

Often the following is true: Less is more. This holds true for our hiking practices. Less chatter is more peace. :D

Cindy and Ira said:
Often the following is true: Less is more. This holds true for our hiking practices. Less chatter is more peace. :D

Well, I guess it depends on why one hikes. For some it is a social event, for others it is a sporting event, and for others it is a religous thing. For any given person, it may mean different things at different times.