why all the "Do Do Occurs" threads ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked with a Ranger on Sunday and she blames this on 'Bear Grylls' types of TV shows. People now think it's easy to go into the wilderness armed with only a pack of chewing gum and survive!

What I find interesting is the quantity and variety of the replies to these threads. For example, the aggressive goat that gored a tourist to death in the Olympics has only two replies, whereas the three tourists who stepped over the rope and fell to their deaths in Yosemite has received 84 replies. Or, the polar bear attack in Svalbard has 11 replies, whereas the black bear attack in New Jersey has 23 replies. :confused:

There's either a masters thesis in these analyses or at the very least a publication in Nature.

I actually think the "do-do happens" threads are extremely relevant.

Nearly all of them contain substantial conversation regarding what should or should not be done to solve the "problem." Any policies that affect wilderness areas (I include Yosemite Valley in that designation) most certainly affect me. We at VFTT are a unique subset of the general population with respect to our interests and experiences. Yet we still have wildly varying opinions on how to handle these situations. In my opinion, that is interesting.

I don't find, from my perspective, that there is very much to learn from the three recent deaths at Vernal Falls. However, the responses that are evoked in this community and in the general population are extremely interesting and relevant to me.