wierd story?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
wierd Gulf story?

I ran across this 'wierd story' and wonder if anyone has ever heard of any such 'yarns' regarding the Gulf. I haven't, and it seems insensical, but these are the WMs of Hawthorn...

New England is full of legend and folklore, I believe due to the fact that it is part of the original settlements. The stories that were brought and developed here seemed to have stuck, and keep reappearing from time to time. This particular topic is that of the "Great Gulf", a large valley in the White Mountains of NH, located at the base of the presidentials. When you learn of this valley in NH while growing up, you are told from start that it is a mysterious stretch filled with old growth holds secrets that no one can explain. The is only a couple trails that lead through it, which isn't kept up(most of it is grown in), so most hiking is done by bush whacking. Another reason for it's mysterious presence would probably be due to the lack of hikers that actually venture into this void of the unknown.

I have a friend whose father is on the search and rescue hear, and she has told me some very unusuall stories. One was of a group of campers that entered the Gulf, and never came out. When the search and rescue team eventually found there campsite, there was no one to be found. Not even a track. The real erie part is, there was a smoldering campfire, as if someone had been there the whole time, and left just before the rescue team.

Now to my own story, or rather my father's. My father is a very straight foward man, without any thought to the unknown, or belief in any unknown species. Almost close minded I guess you can say. He had a strange encounter back in '97 that he told me of while hiking alone at the edge of the Gulf. It was summer, and about 80 degrees out (keep this in mind). He was sitting on a small boulder just below a trail that ran through the Great Gulf. It was very quiet and peaceful, and he found himself in a state of enjoyment and relaxation. (He dosen't get out much anymore). He heard the sounds of heavy footsteps coming from the trail above him, and as he turned a man(?) came up from the trail that let into the gulf. The man was over seven feet tall, and was wearing heavy winter gear complete with a mask, and two ski poles he was using as walking staffs. The man walked within 10 feet of my father and stopped, looking straight ahead. My father could not see anything, not even his face! My father started walking toward him, as he needed to go past him to finnish his hike, and as my father approached, the large giant turned sharply and faced the other way.

My father hesitated, then moved quikly by him not looking back. When he got home, he contacted me immediately to tell me what had happened. He said for once in his life, he had no idea what had happened, or what it was that he had encountered. He has not been back since. My familly has talked about this story for a while now, and one of the most interesting things I've heard is from one of my uncles. Out of the blue one day, he reminded me of the story, and said that he thought that it must have been a Big Foot.

It almost made sense, in a weird way that is. Finding clothing in the gulf is not hard, as hikers and skiers die and disappear every year there. And if a BF was to collect these articles of clothing, and dress from head to toe, then he would be able to walk the trails with us, without us given it much thought, then him being a crazy loon dressed in winter gear in the middle of summer.

Last edited:
5,000th thread at VFTT

Supposedly, Rogers Rangers left treasure in the Great Gulf area. Many of them died there as well while returning from Quebec during the French and Indian War. It's probably their ghosts causing the weirdness.
There's also suppose to be treasure buried on Camels Hump. Just another reason to hike. :D

I was wondering more about the accuracy of this phrase:

'hikers and skiers die and disappear every year there.'

I've heard/read an occasional story or rescue review about a winter problem, but this makes it sound like both the ambulence and the morgue are in a perpetual state of ready.

rup said:
I was wondering more about the accuracy of this phrase:

'hikers and skiers die and disappear every year there.'

I've heard/read an occasional story or rescue review about a winter problem, but this makes it sound like both the ambulence and the morgue are in a perpetual state of ready.

These are just the confirmed fatalities for the Presidentials.

Deaths in the Presidentials

Damn! Thats a downright freaky story! Ill keep that one in mind when we go whackin' out there!

I would almost put money on it that the person your father saw with the mask was VFTT's own "Mr. X"

Some mushrooms in the forest are also poisonous... :p

I wonder if the man your father met had some kind of skin condition that forced him to cover up completely to avoid exposure to the sun. There is a guy with a such a condition that I've seen riding a bike around Bethlehem and Voorheesville (near Albany) for the past few summers. He's covered up completely from head to toe, and wears a wide brimmed hat. It's quite a sight to see him pedaling along on his bike.

Weird story?

On that same note -- could someone who lives in the North County tell me what is going on with all these sightings of Bigfoot reported in the North County and Vermont/New hampshire region.

Is this for real because there are now alot of people claiming they have seen something. Are they desperate for MORE tourism up there or what? Why would people make this up and what is really happening up there at Whitehall, Saranac lake, etc??

king tut said:
what's the treasure on camel's hump? there is a world war bomber, anything else?
From: As To Buried Treasure and Storied Waters, Cliffs, And Mountains
Myths And Legends Of Our Own Land, Volume 9.

by Charles M. Skinner
"A little company of Spanish adventurers passed along the base of the
Green Mountains early in the last century, expecting to return after
having some dealings with the trading stations on the St. Lawrence; so
they deposited a part of their gold on Ludlow Mountain, Vermont, and
another pot of it on Camel's Hump. They agreed that none should return
without his companions, but they were detained in the north and
separated, some of them going home to Spain. Late in life the sole
survivor of the company went to Camel's Hump and tried to recall where
the treasure had been hidden, but in vain."

My father started walking toward him, as he needed to go past him to finnish his hike, and as my father approached, the large giant turned sharply and faced the other way.

Your dad was sitting and relaxing and picked that moment to finish his hike? ;)

Maybe Shaq or Dirk Nowitzki were out hiking....

-S

Don't forget that the back woods of the Northeast are littered with the remains of flying saucer crashes. They might look like old plane wrecks but that's only because the CIA did a job on them, carted off the juicy stuff and left terrestrial scrap metal in their place.

The backwoods of the NE are also filled with the remains of Celtic temples and temples from other lost worlds and cultures, ghosts of the wee ones wander the back woods of Vermont ....... perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I on this subject could fill in the gaps? :rolleyes:

And last but not least, I heard from good sources that quite a few of those AT thruhikers are actually Bigfoot. The Bigfoot species might look and smell like an AT thruhiker but are actually quite distinct in both habit, genetics, and diets, being primarily vegetarian. For example a Bigfoot does NOT eat anything that crosses its path, gnaw on trail signs, and does NOT post over at White Blaze (which is actually too bad as musings from Bigfoot would probably be an improvement over some of the threads that have "graced" that web site!). :D

Camel's Hump Treasure-the Real story?

I've never heard of the Camel's Hump treasure story, but it sounds suspiciously like the treasure story usually associated with the Bristol Cliffs Wilderness, about 15 miles further south on the west facing slopes of the Green Mountains, just south of Bristol, VT, and easily seen from Rt. 116. This area is fairly well-known among treasure hunters, and is called the "money diggings" locally. In the 1840's a company was actually set up to excavate the site to look for the lost gold, and the very obvious talus field on the side of the mountain is largely the result of this rather substantial, and I might also add, fruitless endeavor. People still go up there regularly with metal detectors. I haven't had a chance to explore this area yet, although its on my "must do" list. It apparently is a rather cool place, even if there isn't any treasure there. The owner of the land doesn't mind people going there, as long as they ask for permission first, or so I've been told.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Supposedly, Rogers Rangers left treasure in the Great Gulf area. Many of them died there as well while returning from Quebec during the French and Indian War. It's probably their ghosts causing the weirdness.
:D

I have heard this story told in many different forms. I have read accounts of the event, mainly Roger's report to Amherst written on Fort #4, as well as french sources. ANy of these men going to the Whites during thier retreat from Odonak is highly unlikely. But it makes for a great story.

The Catskills has its own buried treasure legend. The legendary gangster Dutch Schultz used to vacation there and stay at the Phoenicia hotel. It was rumored that he buried millions in gold somewhere in a pine grove by the Esopus.

A lot of local people have spent the good part of the past 80 years or so searching for it. There is a film about this called "Digging For Dutch" that made the rounds of some area film festivals but hasn't been released yet. I am eagerly waiting for it! The filmmaker lives in Phoenicia herself and Jay, Al(ajtiv), and I met her last year during VFTT's Catskill gathering.