Wildcat D...quick question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
We just have wildcat D left...

Want to go up the Wildcat ridge trail from Glen Falls parking lot.

What is the consensus...up and back via this route?

Up the ridge trail...down the ski trail?

If the ski trail...how long a road walk back to the car?

Thanks.

If it's dry conditions an out and back is not a problem. Upper ledges on E would give me some concern in wet conditions, but the rest of the trail is not bad, steep but not nothing I would have to think twice about going down. A ski area descent will leave you 1-2 miles from Glen Ellis. Park at Pinkham and go in Lost Pond and you'll only have about a mile or less walk back.

This is fun hike on a nice day. A good pick for a last one as if there are some non hiking members of your clan they can take the tram up and meet you at near the top for the celebration. There are places to hang out in the tram building (but no cafeteria like on Cannon or Washington). Good place to cut up a cake.

The hike up from Pinkham (or alternatively the Glen Ellis parking lot if you want to skip the ramble along Lost Pond), is steep with a lot of short open slabs. Nothing dangerous if its dry, as the forest service did some extensive rock "sculpting" with dynamite at some point to cut out the rough spots plus there are some pin steps here and there. There are several nice rocky outcroppings to sit out on as you climb your way up. A comparison of the type of climbing required in spots is the steep section of trail right before he summit of Jackson, on the webster jackson trail or maybe the Chimney area between the Oscelas, or the lower section of Caps Ridge up Jefferson.

Taking the Polecat trail down is a real pleasant walk but there isnt a bit of shade in the afternoon. There is also no reliable water so its easy to get dried out going down if its sunny. Going back down the AT to Glen Ellis is more of a challenge than going up. The directionsto walk down the ski trail are pretty easy, leave the summit tram and keep taking a right whenever there is a choice. If you park at Pinkham its about 15 to 20 minutes from the base of Polecat to Pinkham.

Congratulations in advance, its been nice following your weekly inquiries;)

My wife and I did the Wildcats a couple of weeks ago. We went up Wildcat Ridge and across (needed both) then down to 19MB. I had similar questions because of car spot (ended up getting ride from 19MB to Pinkham)and the fact my wife doesn't like the ledgy stuff much. Having now done it I would avoid Lost Pond trail unless you have to park at Pinkham (not a great trail). That being said I would not think you would have any problems (I am using your photo which makes you look fairly young and healthy :) ). As others have said it has some great view points and only a few "tricky" spots. I probably wouldn't do it under wet conditions but otherwise it would not be a problem.
Have fun.

That section of the Wildcat Ridge trail is the one I adopted. The river crossing at the beginning should only really be a problem after some rain. It can be done with a carefully thought out rock hop but I usually just cross shin deep with my crocs on and stash them in the woods after I put on my boots.

The trail is indeed one of the steeper ones out there. However, there are many open ledges with good views to take breaks on. Mud has only ever been an issue in the springtime and that's usually only high up near the ski area. There is a water source along the trail marked by a small sign. It is located to the left of the first set of rock-pin steps that you come to. You may have to go about 100 feet for the water but sometimes it is not flowing very strong. Above the second set of rock pin steps is a nice ledge that is the last one before you head to the summit.

The tower at the summit has been closed for awhile but recently some folks have said that work was being done to repair it. I am not sure if it is open yet.

The road walk is not that bad at all. I usually take the ski lift up, hike down and then roadwalk back to the ski area after crossing the river. I do not take the Lost Pond Trail because I have a personal aversion to it. Some parts of that trail get flooded very easily.

Have fun!

IMHO ;) The best way to get Wildcat d is on the way from Pinkham to Shelburne Moriah

On my first hike to D peak one July, I left from Pinkham taking Lost Pond over to WCR Trail, avoiding the river crossing. After summiting, I descended the ski slopes staying to the left hoping to find the XC trail that leads thru the woods back toward Pinkham. Didn't find it, so I had a bit of a road walk back.

The nice things about descending the slopes are: wildflowers, ripe strawberries and raspberries, and great views of the northern Presies.

Interestingly...when we did Isolation last weekend...we descended via the Bootspur trail (up glen boulder trail) and then took the Lost Pond trail back to the Glen Falls parking area...other than one area that we kind of lost the trail (thanks to whomever tied the bandana at the area we lost the trail...to direct us to CROSS that inlet area to find the trail again)...I actually didn't mind that trail much...thought it was kind of pretty. but...I can see how it would flood easily.

As for the water crossing at the very beginning of the WRT...(from the Glen falls side) YUCK! I don't like crossing water like that...I tend to always find a way to slip and get wet!! If we DO come in from this way, I will definitely take my crocs :p

I vote down the ski area . . .

I went up WCR and down the ski slopes . . . I agree with Bob . . .the views of the Presidentials from the ski slopes are great . . . and after going up the Wildcat Ridge trail, I knew I didn't want to go back down it . . . at least my knees didn't want to . . .:)