Wildcat ski area...hikeable?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
As mentioned in my Camp Dodge question, am spending acouple days in the wildcat/carter area. Just in case WRT is wet from semi-predicted showers...has anyone recently been around Wildcat Ski area or have hiked it recently? Is it a feasible alternative to the AT with it's steep sections considering we will have weekend size packs? My son is 12 but the size of a ten year old so his legs are still pretty short...any advice is helpful...it has been eight years since i did the WRT...i remember hating it!!! :eek: alot of endless ups and downs...thanks, ctsparrow...sue

Map

You can click HERE to go to the Ski Wildcat website to view a larger version of the map below. The PoleCat ski trail that Dave mentioned is on the left side of the map.

2749217090100435778S600x600Q85.jpg

I hiked the Polecat trail a couple of years ago when one of my sons was 12. The downside was the long grass was wet from our early start and had our feet and socks soaked in no time so waterproof your boots, bring a change of socks, were gaiters, etc. The plus side was a close encounter with a moose that was content to feed on the trees on the side of the trail. There were about 8 of us and when we moved up the trail so did he. A great trip as I recall.

There's generally a worn path on the Polecat, so it shouldn't be too bad. The lower portion can get a bit soggy after wet periods. I'd avoid the trails closer to the Riblet Triple Chairlifts (right side of the mountain, looking at the map), however, as they're using portions for disc golf now and you might get in the way. Also avoid the gondola liftlines (new and old) - they may look doable from the parking lot, but the weeds were already getting high when I hiked them back in early June!

ctsparrow said:
My son is 12 but the size of a ten year old so his legs are still pretty short...any advice is helpful...it has been eight years since i did the WRT...i remember hating it!!! :eek: alot of endless ups and downs...thanks, ctsparrow...sue
The WRT is still doable for a child of that size. I'm speaking from my own personal experience too as I climbed it twice - once as a dayhike when I was 10, and as part of an overnight when I was 13. On the dayhike we descended via the ski trails, and I remember the grass being almost over my head in mid-August.

Good luck, that's some nice trail on that side of the highway.
Smitty

Keep in mind that ski trails are wide open and so in the sun they get very hot, as much as if above treeline. Bring extra water!

Great info all....I'm going to punt it to the weather now...either wet pants and boots from the ski area or wet ledges on the WRT, we'll see what mother nature dictates. thanks..ctsparrow

I was there once when the ski area had mowed a path on the Polecat so summit riders could walk down, I was also there once when they hadn't.

You often see more wildlife on ski trails if only because you can see farther, I once saw a bear eating berries on Polecat and it was awhile before he saw me.

The trail up Wildcat E is scenic but rough, some will prefer each route, I've been several times each way.

Bears do seem to love ski trails. Folk have posted many times about seeing them, especially on Cannon. I think it's more than just our own ability to see further ... I have often seen ski trails (and other cut swaths) covered with raspberry or other types of berry bushes, and that brings the wildlife in hordes.