Wildcat Winter Rules - Background and Discussion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan was to hike up 19 mile and then over the Cats and down Polecat Trail> My concerns is buying a descent ticket at 8 a.m. and finding a place to park your vehicle(s) in the lot. We planned this hike last year combining it with a Carter Notch stay over but on the second day, the Pats had a playoff game do we decided to hike out from the Hut. However, the day before, buying the trail ticket and parking was timely as no one knew the rules, etc. We were able to leave a vechicle but the whole process to us 45 minutes.

So much hassle, I may need to map it out for and in & out from 19 mile this year.

Reading this entire thread just now, I couldn't help but think about how fantastic the Saddleback people are. The ski patrollers recommend which trails we should climb, and the only thing they ask is that we check in and out at the highest hut so that they don't worry about us. Good folks.

Saddleback still welcomes hikers (aka “uphill access”) but there are restrictions and you do have to get a (free) pass to do so. See their website for the complete list. Here are some highlights:

• You must have a complimentary pass, obtained at the ticket office during operational hours.
  • Access is restricted to the skier’s right of Green Weaver, Tri-Color, and Grey Ghost.
  • The mountain, or portions thereof, can be closed for various reasons. Entering closed terrain is prohibited.
  • Ski Patrol clears the mountain at the end of the day and you must return to the base at that time.
  • Outside operating hours, you're completely at your own risk.
  • You are responsible for staying clear of grooming, snowmaking, etc.
  • Dogs are not allowed.
  • Sledding is not allowed.

We had no trouble on any Maine Ski slopes last year. The Saddleback ski patrol was not in their office, so we left a note. At the top, there was a hut, so we checked in when we got there, and when we got back. They were glad to see us both times. All of their rules are completely reasonable.

Outside operating hours, you're completely at your own risk.

This one stands out as in conflict with needing a pass and having to return to the base at the end of the day... Seems inconsistent, and open to liberal interpretation. Are you ever not at your own risk? On any mountain? Skiing or not?

Tim

This one stands out as in conflict with needing a pass and having to return to the base at the end of the day... Seems inconsistent, and open to liberal interpretation. Are you ever not at your own risk? On any mountain? Skiing or not?

Tim

I took this as ski patrol will help you if you get hurt during the day. Is that true?

They did say we were on our own if we went to the Horn, (which is 'out of bounds' by a LONG way), but they still knew we were going. The man did actually say something like "If you leave the ski area, you are F&G's problem!", but I'm not sure if that means they would have made a call to them, had we not returned by end of day.

Thank the ATC and the NPS on protecting some corridor along the summit ridge. They had to pay off a lot of "blackmail" to the former owner (which allowed him to cash out and go away)to do it

With regards to Wildcat, the hikers are supposed to stay to the side of the groomed trail and outside of the normal ski traffic. Yes that does introduce the potential for hiker/skier unintended encounters or which Wildcat is not liable since both parties are now covered by NH ski area liability waivers.

Haven't looked to see if there are any on Views but I would like to read a trip report from someone who did this. Hiking ski slopes is no one's route of choice but I see the appeal of this one, just wondering if it really sucked or was okay. Pepp

I think the ski patrols hauls the hiker down off the slope to a waiting ambulance just like a skier if there is an accident, but as for the right for damages incurred (medical bills, loss of wages, permanent disability etc) the hiker is out of luck unless they can go after the skier.

I hiked the Cats this way last winter (getting pass, hiking up ski slopes, etc.). It really wasn't that bad. You just stay to the extreme far side, and the skiers/boarders just go by. You might get a few strange looks, but for the most part, people were friendly and waved, or even stopped to chat with me. The nice thing is that if the ski trails are groomed and packed, the walking is pretty easy (well, except for that whole uphill thing!). The real fun begins when you actually get on the Wildcat Ridge Trail, and how much fun will depend on trail conditions and your perspective.

Here's the trip report on my blog: http://nh48.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/snow-cats-are-in-the-bag-wildcats-21313/

I suddenly find myself wondering if that $10 uphill access ticket to Wildcat will cover me for a ski patrol ride down ...

I would imagine the answer is yes. It's not like a helicopter, it doesn't really take much to bundle you into a sled and slide you down. I think that despite the 4K Committee's refusal to take a stand on sledding, that the peak should not count if you're completely incapacitated on the way down.

The bigger question is if you seriously injured yourself on the property and they did have to life-flight you, and you'd paid your $10, would it be covered the same as if you were a skier there that day, or would the F&G stuff kick in? But I don't really want to know that answer, I just like stirring up trouble. :)

I think the ski patrols hauls the hiker down off the slope to a waiting ambulance just like a skier if there is an accident, but as for the right for damages incurred (medical bills, loss of wages, permanent disability etc) the hiker is out of luck unless they can go after the skier.
How about the hiker that is not to the extreme outside of the trail and causes a collision with a skier. Now is the skier out of luck unless they go after the hiker?