Wildcats/Carters question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
I'm planning a backpacking traverse for when the snow melts and was wondering what people's opinions were for direction of travel in this area. No general hiking/packing advice needed just looking for opinions on which direction people prefer and why. Thanks in advance.

I guess Id prefer starting from south to north. Although going in and out of Carter Notch is very steep either direction, Id prefer NOT to descend those Wildcat Ridge Trail cliffs at the end. Particularly at the end of a long day or two if I could help it.
Are you staying at the hut or off the beaten path somewhere?

If you go South to North, you get the nice scrambles and views from the ledges on the early part of the Wildcat Ridge Trail. If you go North to South, you can descend via the Polecat ski trails as you drop off the observation tower on Wildcat D. I've done it both ways. Either way, you probably want to take in Mt Hight with its commanding views.

JohnL

I find myself agreeing with Kevin a lot lately (or am I agreeing with Brutus?). I've done it both ways also, and prefer N>S, despite having taken a bad fall about 30 years ago on the upper ledge on Wildcat. Both ways have their merits and issues, but neither is a bad choice.

BTW, there is about 6 feet of snow on the ridge right now!

Last summer I climbed the Carters (excluding north carter) and Wildcats N to S and descended down the ledges of wildcat ridge trail. Although the ledges are quite intimidating if you give yourself enough time to get down them slowly they are actually really cool. I never really realized the elevation loss and gain between carter dome and wildcat A from the map and I have to say when I looked down into the notch from carter dome, after 8+ miles hiked already, and saw how much I would then have to go down and then up, at first I wanted to cry…or puke….. But, then I did it and had a great feeling of accomplishment, it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.
I have since hiked the part of the trail that goes up North Carter and it is grueling. In fact while hiking it I met an older guy that was on his second round of the AT and said that he felt that that particular section of the trail was some of the most challenging of the whole trip.
So if you’re planning a day trip I’d skip North Carter, but if you’re staying overnight at the hut it wouldn’t be that hard to get it in.

OH YEAH…If the weather is good definitely do not skip mount Height… best views of the whole ridge…IMHO.

Stealth camping opportunities?

I too have this trip planned for nicer weather, Kroto is more at in home in 6 feet of snow than I am! :rolleyes: I would prefer to avoid the huts and sleep out on this trip. I am not a fan of the huts (please, no E-mails :D ) and would like to work on my site choosing skills this season.

So the question is, how good are the stealth camping opportunities on the ridge in particular around Carter Lakes. And yes, I understand regs, rules & laws about where & when it is OK to camp.

Thanks for your help.

First of all, I also prefer S => N as I did this summer.

As for camping ... there are a number of options. Just outside of the FPA there are sites at the Wildcat Ridge Trail / 19-Mile junction, on the Carter-Moriah Trail, and on the Wildcat River Trail. Just like around any Forest Protection Area...

Another option is in the open woods about an 1/8 mile from the "summit" of South Carter. Though in the summer that's a moose home and might not be a wise place to stay. :D

I did this trip from north to south starting down by the Rattle River a few years ago and climbing North Carter was the hardest part. No way would I want to go down it, the caretaker at Imp told us he had to descend backwards or risk tumbling. We were lucky in that we came bounding out of Imp at seven in the morning, all bright eyed and ready to climb. I wouldn't have wanted to face that at the end of the day! I must say it was a really great trip, I'm jealous and would love to go back.

Coming down North Carter wasn't that bad, actually. We had full packs and had started (day 2) from Carter Hut, so we'd gone up and over the Dome, Mt Hight, down to Zeta, over South and Middle and North, and although it did require a lot of caution, there was only one spot where I had to butt-slide on a rock (facing reverse would have worked, too). It's steep, sure, but if *I* could do it then I guarantee any of you can! :D

Great pics, Michael.
I also was planning a Wildcat traverse this summer at some point, and was wondering: Which is the better hike, Wildcats or Carters? I've done neither, and would like to hit that area.

It really depends on how you define "better".

The Wildcats have some very enjoyable ledges heading up from Pinkham, with incredible views straight across the Notch to Washington. From there, it's an enjoyable, mild up-and-down ridge walk with, if I remember correctly, very good footing. There are unique views into the backside areas of the ridge, there's the observation deck atop Wildcat D, and the dramatic views from Wildcat A down into Carter Notch and out across the Wild River Valley. The trail across the landslide has been well-maintained and is easily traversable now when descending into the notch (which isn't bad at all). I would do this hike again, and I think I'd do it S => N. I'd rather be ascending those Wildcat ledges, and I'd rather be on them in the morning so if any afternoon weather came in I'd already had my views and wasn't exposed. Plus it's about 800' less elevation. :D

As for the Carters, the ascent to the Dome out of the Notch has some great views, the summit itself is pretty boring; the pinnacle moment is atop Mt. Hight, with its open summit and boundless views. After the descent into Zeta Pass it's a fairly mellow trek over South and Middle, with occasional viewpoints to the east and at least one look back at the northern Presies. It's good footing, a woods walk. The climb of North isn't bad either, and I remember some open ledges around that area (Mt Lethe?) with very nice views, but as noted the descent is a bugger. You don't get the bang for the buck that you do on the Wildcats.

Michael

Thats what I've read and heard, that the Wildcats seemed to be a bit more exciting. I'm looking forward to the ledges on Wildcat E and of the views into the Wild River area (I maintain the South Baldface trail). Also wanted to see the slide on A.
But, I have also heard of the amazing views from Mt. Height. Guess if I have to hike over one, I'd hike the Wildcats, but maybe I'll just make a weekend of it and do both! Pitch my hammock when I get tired at the end of the day and continue the next morning.
I've also never done any hiking in the Franconia area (most has been in the Wild River/Speckled mtn area and the Mahoosucs), so I'm planning on a hike up Liberty Springs to Lafayette, probably an overnight so I don't trash my knees.
Thanks for the response.

I had a tough enough time going up the Wildcat Ridge with a heavy pack...I would not wanted to have descended that way :eek: ...however as others have stated, descending the ski trail is an option if you want to go north to south

wildcats/carters nobo vs sobo

I hiked Sobo from the Rattle River trail via Imp shelter, then the Carters and Wildcats to Pinkham last July (2 days). Great hike. If you go sobo, if you get to the top of the Wildcat ski lift before 5 PM you have the sinful option of descending in the elevated cars. Also, I spoke with parties who did the entire hike in one day, but I don't recommend it.
Walt

I'd definitely recommend making it a two-day hike and doing both sections. What's nice is that if you want to pay out a little bit of money (20-something these days?) you can stay at Carter Hut. Don't carry a tent, stove, or filter, just bring food and get the run of the kitchen, plenty of water, and a bunk to sleep in. That will take quite a bit of weight out of your pack.

If you'd rather avoid the hut, with a hammock I'd recommend looking south of Carter Notch on the Wildcat River Trail, just outside the forest protection area, unless the weather is warm and calm. The ideal spot, up on the height-of-land of the Notch, can get pretty windy.

Either way, fill up with potable water at the hut. There's no water up on Wildcat Ridge, and no water once you pass the spring on the side of the Notch going up the Dome until you get to Zeta Pass, and after that I remember only a little bit near the Pass until all the way over North Carter.

There are plenty of hikers who will do the whole thing in a day (ie, go from Pinkham all the way to Imp). It's doable for a really strong hiker. And if you were day tripping, hiking out instead of going to Imp, you could carry a lot less. But if you choose to do both ranges ina day, you have to keep moving through spots where you should really sit down and enjoy the view and the moment.

Last edited:
Yea, I figured that I'd go as far as my knees allowed, maybe to the hut, and then strike out again over the Carters the next day. So, there is no water along the ridge anywhere? That means extra water weight...

Thanks for the responses.