Will the real "Shepherd's Tooth" please stand up...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
There has been some talk about whether that fun little knob on the southern side of Iroquois is rightfully named "Shepherd's Tooth" or, according to Pete Hickey, should be called "The Wart" as named by Paul Jameson.

Well, I just read a letter which clearly adds more to the debate!

The following is from a letter dated February 14th, 1941:

"To the north is a unique mountain meadow, tucked securely away from the prying eyes of the world in the protecting arms of mountain ridges and guarded over by "Catamount Roost", the funny rock projection on the western side of Iroquois. That mountain meadow calls to the hiker who sees it with all the charm of a siren."

This paragraph is from a description of the Marshall's first ascent of Mount Marshall (at the time informally called Mount Herbert or ironically, Mount Iroquois), and was written by none other than our beloved Grace Hudowalski (ADK 46er #9).

So, we now know that the original 46ers called this little sub-peak "Catamount Roost." If that name is good enough for Grace, it's good enough for me!

Last edited:
>>So, we now know that the original 46ers called this little sub-peak "Catamount Roost." If that name is good enough for Grace, it's good enough for me!<<

well then, if east & south dix was good enough for grace & the old timers that means we should leave thier names alone also (and not rename them)?????

the dixes are even named on a map - unlike "catamount roost/the wart/shepherd's tooth (what is a catamount?) short-tailed wildcats with usually tufted ears; valued for their fur (were there ever any in the adirondacks?)

Last edited:
ken said:
(what is a catamount?) short-tailed wildcats with usually tufted ears; valued for their fur (were there ever any in the adirondacks?)
I was going to chastise Ken for this comment. Having some roots in Vermont, I've always thought of the catamount as a panther -- the Northeast's version of the West's cougar. Being a cautious sort, I checked my Webster's, and found this definition:

any of various wild cats: as a: COUGAR b: LYNX
So I can't tsk-tsk Ken at all. He was right about a catamount being (possibly) a short-tailed wildcat with tufted ears. Live and learn . . ..

As to the rest of his post, I agreed from the git-go. The Shepherd's Tooth or Wart is widely known by those two names. They are quaintly descriptive. Let them stand.

G.

Last edited:
that is where the definition (short tailed wildcats) for catamount came from (dictionary) - but it doesn't tell where they lived

ken said:
that is where the definition (short tailed wildcats) for catamount came from (dictionary) - but it doesn't tell where they lived
My Webster's says the word "catamount" dates to 1664 (first known use of the word) as a shortened version of the Middle English, "cat-a-mountain" or "cat of the mountaine" dating to the 15th century. All of which seems to imply "cat that lives in the mountains."

As I noted earlier, "catamount" or "panther" ("painter") was the Vermonter's word for "cougar" when I lived in that state many years ago. Many people who settled the eastern Adirondacks had Vermont roots, and certainly took their language with them across Lake Champlain to New York.

G.

well then, if east & south dix was good enough for grace & the old timers that means we should leave thier names alone also (and not rename them)?????

The early 46ers and old timers knew these were temporary names, in fact, they helped change "Middle Dix" to what we call Hough. They also had given their suggestions for name changes for both East and South Dix. At one point Mount Marshall was destined for one of those peaks, but was directed to where it now stands with help from the 46ers because Mount Marshall (formerly and informally Mount Clinton and Mount Herbert) was Bob Marshall's favorite trailless mountain. They didn't think East or South Dix had enough "specialness" to them for befitting a name of one of the nation's great early naturlists and mountain explorers.

As for Catamount Roost... I loved reading Grace's letter and her description of this little prominence. I have looked at it from every angle and side and thought it very cool that the first climber's of the high peaks were doing the same, and had a much cooler descriptive for it.

And yes, catamount means mountain lion, of which there were plenty in the Adirondacks... and still are.

keep reading her books - there are a lot of things that "don't match"

anyway - the only patch made for going there says "shepherd's tooth"

ken said:
anyway - the only patch made for going there says "shepherd's tooth"

Well, what do you expect? The "Buffalo Boys" gave it that name, made the patch, and left a canister with postcards to be sent to them.

A sure way to get a popular name for an 'unnamed' peak. Anyone want to invest a bit of time and money, for say E-town #4 to give it a name... oh, say Graceview.

>>My friends and I have come to the same conclusion. Have you done the "route" from The Sheperds tooth to Marshall as decribed in the book?<<

no - i dont have the book for that area - i just followed the faint herdpath down and back up again

from "Of the Summits, Of the Forests"

"The Wart, originally dubbed Catamount's Rest by the Marshall-Clark climbing team, is called by some Shepherd's Tooth, a name given to the minor peak by Carolyn Schaefer (#104) and a climbing partner named Zahniser in the 1950's [sic]. For several years (in the later 1980's) an informal summit register was maintained by The Buffalo Boys under the direction of Don Greene (#1949). Thos who found the register inside a glass jar held within the hollow of the rock cairn on the peak were able to register their ascents and find a post card with further information on registering in order to receive a Shepherd's Tooth patch."

Jim Goodwin, Ed (#24)

M.

adk 5048

And the meaning behind Shepherd's Tooth (as named by the Schaefer/Zahniser hiking party): The name Schaefer in German means shepherd. The name Zahniser (from the German Zahneisen or Zahneissen) means "tooth-iron", an iron dentist's tool such as forceps.

So perhaps some amount of pain should be expected when going to the tooth. But hopefully not as painful as that inflicted by a catamount, nor as bad as any that would inflict warts.