Winter Booties for Dogs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingmom

Reaction score
Are winter booties for dogs any good? We took our retriever puppy up Mt Willard last weekend and he did fine, but did get a lot of snow in his pads. Do any of you use the booties or are they unnecessary? I imagine it might take a while to get a pup used to them.

I've used booties but I had a hard time keeping them on my dog, they also would fill with snow. I found a better option for snow sticking to his pads which is a product called Musher's Secret. It's a wax you slather on his paws before you head out. If you're out too long you may need to reapply. I found it works pretty good at least in my case. Amazon has it now and I bet a few other places.

Mushers Secret

I haven't had any luck with booties (fallling off, getting lost, causing rubs) but Musher's Secret is EXCELLENT. It is a wax you apply to thier feet -- my guys went about seven or eight miles in the snow last weekend before they actually began to get small snowballs.
Since you have a puppy you won't be doing any mileage like that for some time! :D

Don't booties for dogs effect their traction? Especially on steeper inclines. That's my worry. My dog is a very aggressive hiker, but only because of the excellent traction she gets from her nails. If I take that away, I fear she will loose that.

Garry G. said:
I've used booties but I had a hard time keeping them on my dog, they also would fill with snow.

A tip I've learned from someone here:

Apply vetrap around the dog's leg a few times around where the top of the bootie hits. Put bootie on. Duct tape bootie to vetrap. Works beautifully.

Dugan said:
A tip I've learned from someone here:

Apply vetrap around the dog's leg a few times around where the top of the bootie hits. Put bootie on. Duct tape bootie to vetrap. Works beautifully.

Excellent idea!
I am also unclear about dog booties on steeps with icy conditions.
Iditarod dogs wear their booties in very bad conditions and mucho difficult terrain. I am going to call a musher and try to get more info.

We bought booties for our lab but won't use them because of the traction issue. We use what a musher friend of ours suggested, Equate (a zinc oxide), which is a generic brand of Desitin. It's nice to have latex or some other glove for application as it is hard to get off your hands. May require re-application after a few hours. It isn't foolproof but is better than nothing. I asked my friend about the Musher's secret, he feels the Equate works for his dogs and is much cheaper.
OMW