Winter camping checklist

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mubb

Reaction score
I'm sure there have been many many threads on this, but searching is coming up empty. Can we get some kind of general concensous on a checklist and sticky it or put it in a FAQ somewhere? I imagine most of the items are the same, or at least, the purpose for the items are the same for just about everyone so I think having a general guideline to go by would be helpful. What do you think about this?

Here's my personal list. If you comment on them, add or remove items I'll keep a tally and eventually post somewhere (like a sticky or in a VFTT FAQ).

My normal winter camping trip is a 3-day/2-night hike up to Imp Shelter or Kinsman Pond. This is the checklist that I run down every time I go. I imagine a 2 nights is "about average" for most trips.

Winter camping checklist (for 3 days, 2 nights):
---------------------------

Shelter:
-----------------
o Sleeping bag (-20C)
o Closed cell foam
o Inflatable sleeping pad
o Sleeping bag liner
o Tent/Bivy ++
o Headrest/pillow ++

Food:
-----------------
o Snacks for the trip up and down (gorp, jerky) *
o 3 x Snack (powerbars, cookies)
o 2 x Breakfast (oatmeal)
o 2 x Lunch (dried noodles)
o 2 x Dinner (steak tips)
o 2 x Cooking oil ++
o Condiments ++

Drinks:
-----------------
o 4 x Hot drink (coffee, hot chocolate)

Equipment:
-----------------
o Stove (including stand, screen, gas)
o Pots set
o Backpack
o Emergency blanket
o Hard plastic mess kit (fork, spoon, knife)
o 2 x Nalgene bottles
o Matches
o Lantern (and 4 x candles, if needed)
o Trash bag
o 4 x giant freezer zip log bags (for trash and sundry)
o First aid kit
o Tylenol
o Sudafed
o Leatherman
o Headlamp (and extra batteries)
o Nylon cord
o Chapstick
o Sunscreen
o Compass/map
o Water filter (cone-shaped coffee filters, MSR filter, sink-drain strainer)
o Goggles/Sunglasses
o Snow shovel/Snowclaw ++
o Tarp ++
o Spare headlamp ++
o 4 x Hand warmers ++
o 4 x Feet warmers ++
o Extra insulated cup ++
o Earplugs (for loud camping buddies) ++
o Snow shoes ++
o Crampons ++
o Pee bottle ++
o Ice axe ++
o Poles ++
o Chair ++
o Camera ++
o Cigar ++
o Scotch ++
o Small radio (for weather reports) ++

Personal hygene:
-----------------
o Mouth/Breath (Toothbrush/Toothpaste, Oral B Brush-ups)
o Dental floss
o Toilet paper

Clothes:
-----------------
- Head
o Headsock
o Face gaitor/balaclava *
o 180s/headband

- Chest
o Long sleeve shirt (silk/polypro) *
o Windbreaker *
o Heavy fleece/wool shirt/vest
o Insulated heavy shirt (polar guard/Lamilite, Lite Loft)
o Heavy jacket (700 Down)

- Hands
o Thin gloves (2 pairs) *
o Over mittens *
o Heavy gloves

- Legs
o Silk/polypro long underwear *
o Thin windbreaker pants *
o Gaiters *
o Insulated windstopper snowpants

- Feet
o Wool socks (3 pairs) *
o Goretex liner socks *
o Waterproof boots *
o Down booties

* NOTE: These items are for the hiking trip
++ NOTE: These items are optional

Last edited:
I didn't see, or you might not include; MSR type water filter, poles, goggles, sunscreen, something that can be used as a wind screen around the stove and pot, something firm to set the stove on that won't melt, and pee bottle.
I always bring a tent.

*hey, that Greek pastry you've included would be a sweet treat, but it won't keep your head warm ! ;)

Last edited:
That list is pretty close to mine. I'd also add poles, dental floss, a spare headlamp, foam pad for a stove stand, plastic insulated cup, down jacket and possibly an ice axe. I'd eliminate the cigar, sleeping bag liner, pillow, hand and feet warmers. I'd substitute a vest for one of the shirts, LED lantern for the candle lantern (for safety reasons), chocolate chip cookies for power bars and Grand Marnier for scotch.

Chip said:
*hey, that Greek pastry you've included would be a sweet treat, but it won't keep your head warm ! ;)

haha! I always call it that for some reason so that's how it ended up in my list. "balaclava" just doesn't stick. :)

I would be careful bringing a H2O filter. Water left over in the filter can freeze and crack the plastic. Godd option to bring when there is limited snow to melt though

I also bring a few coffee filters to use depending on how dirty the snow I am melting is. Nothing quite like finally melting up some warm tea to kick it back and choke on a pine needle.

GREAT suggestions! I updated the original post to reflect them. I also changed a few words around to better reflect the goal of the post (like "2 x snack" instead of "2 x powerbars", for example).

Oh, and I fixed my idiom ;)

Jkrew81 said:
I also bring a few coffee filters to use depending on how dirty the snow I am melting is. Nothing quite like finally melting up some warm tea to kick it back and choke on a pine needle.

...or poop (which I don't think has ever happened to me, thankfully) but that's my paraniod reason for the filters. :rolleyes:

Jkrew81 said:
I would be careful bringing a H2O filter. Water left over in the filter can freeze and crack the plastic.
I'm not saying it couldn't, but it hasn't happened yet. I pump it out good after
filtering. If I'm boiling clear stream water to use and carry I don't bother, the filter is more for emergency trail use.

How about a snow shovel, emergency whistle, Cat Crap and small mechanicals repair kit ?

Jkrew81 said:
I would be careful bringing a H2O filter. Water left over in the filter can freeze and crack the plastic. Godd option to bring when there is limited snow to melt though
Worse than that, a ceramic element can crack and let unfiltered water through. (Some woven elements are claimed to be freezable without damage.) In either case, a frozen filter will be clogged. You will have to sleep with it to keep it from freezing overnight.

Not for me--I use chemicals or boiling to treat water in winter. (Or for a day trip, I just bring enough from home.)

I carry a sink strainer (made of metal screen and shaped like a small top hat) that fits in the opening of a Nalgene wide-mouth bottle. Takes the "scratchies" out of one's drinking water. A hardware store item.

Doug

Chip said:
I'm not saying it couldn't, but it hasn't happened yet. I pump it out good after
filtering. If I'm boiling clear stream water to use and carry I don't bother, the filter is more for emergency trail use.

How about a snow shovel, emergency whistle, Cat Crap and small mechanicals repair kit ?

I was going to ask about a snow shovel. I haven't needed it yet in the 5 orr 6 times I've gone camping but I can see how it would be helpful in certain situations. Have you guys ever needed one?

What's a cat crap? Or was that a joke to make me say "what's a cat crap?" :)

"Hey look at that thing under there!"

DougPaul said:
I carry a sink strainer (made of metal screen and shaped like a small top hat) that fits in the opening of a Nalgene wide-mouth bottle. Takes the "scratchies" out of one's drinking water. A hardware store item.

Holy crap, that's PERFECT! I've been trying to figure out something more durable and less wasteful than coffee filters and that seems like it would fit the bill. What kind of problem can't be solved with a trip to Home Depot? :)

mubb said:
Holy crap, that's PERFECT! I've been trying to figure out something more durable and less wasteful than coffee filters and that seems like it would fit the bill. What kind of problem can't be solved with a trip to Home Depot? :)
You can also pick up a tiny aquarium filter at any pet store - They even come with long handles so you can strain bits of stuff from your pots while you are melting snow.

mubb said:
I was going to ask about a snow shovel. I haven't needed it yet in the 5 orr 6 times I've gone camping but I can see how it would be helpful in certain situations. Have you guys ever needed one?

What's a cat crap? Or was that a joke to make me say "what's a cat crap?" :)

"Hey look at that thing under there!"

Shovel is a new item for me and so far it's been dead weight, but some here won't go out in winter without one.

HA ! I made you say Cat Crap ! :p

Actually it's a tiny tin of goop (almost wrote poop) you use to clean/defog goggles and glasses available at popular sports stores everywhere !

Coffee filters

The thing I like about coffee filters is that they catch the resins that cause the "piney" flavor, in addition to catching the bigger stuff. For that reason, they tend to gum up after filling a half dozen bottles. It is a little wasteful, but seems like they do the best job, to me.

earplugs

Also, I bring earplugs for myself and my partners, since I tend to be the loudest thing around at night, unless it's really windy. :) When it is windy, the earplugs really help with sleeping through the gusts.

expat said:
The thing I like about coffee filters is that they catch the resins that cause the "piney" flavor, in addition to catching the bigger stuff. For that reason, they tend to gum up after filling a half dozen bottles. It is a little wasteful, but seems like they do the best job, to me.

Good call. When I go out this weekend I'll bring both to see which one works best. The biggest problem I have with the filters is they break after a few bottles, which then makes the last bottle full of water useless.

A lightweight avalanche shovel can come in handy. When the snow is deep enough(remember snow?) you can put up a quick snow wall to cut the wind,or dig a boot pit at the end of the tent. We use the pit for cooking safely(propane/butane) on occasion,from inside the tent.

KayakDan said:
A lightweight avalanche shovel can come in handy. When the snow is deep enough(remember snow?) you can put up a quick snow wall to cut the wind,or dig a boot pit at the end of the tent. We use the pit for cooking safely(propane/butane) on occasion,from inside the tent.
Also can be useful in leveling a tent platform. (Showshoes or skis can also be used for some digging needs.)

Doug

If I'm going out for only 2 nights I'd have to put the toothbrush/paste and dental floss on the optional list.