Winter camping checklist

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shovel could also save your life if you have to make an emergency bivy. It can quickly get an insulating layer of snow between you and the elements, even if you just dig a quick trench and throw a tarp over it.

Mubb, I agree with Rick that the shovel you identified is too heavy for the job--it's a trenching tool, not shaped right for moving snow. The plastic shovel Rick pointed out is good, but I prefer the metal bladed shovels for their ability to hack through heavy, frozen snow.

I've got a very nice lightweight aluminum Black Diamond shovel. It breaks apart but does not extend. Metal blade and shaft, around 40 bucks. As it's metal I see it being used for other things besides digging, chopping through ice to get water comes to mind.

Cat crap, pee bottle... here's one that hasn't yet made it to the list- poop tube.

Now, I'm sure I'll catch some "crap" for this one but hear me out.
First of all, you guys seem to be up for peeing in a bottle, how about number 2? In the name of Leave No Trace, and an increasing number of winter visitors, a poop tube is an increasingly necessary item.

Lets say over the course of the winter 30 people camp at a certain campsite or lean-to. We'll assume each of them takes one dumb during their stay and there is no outhouse. They all walk an appropriate distance from their campsites, water sources, etc. Now, the ground is fozen so a cat hole is out of the question, and you can't leave your paper behind in the snow anyway. So, ideally (if you use paper) you're already having to pack this out. When spring comes and all of the snow melts, we now have 30 landmines spread out around this site. Additionally, as the snow melts and water runs, particles of this poo are being washed into water sources, where the next visitors may be filling their bottles. :eek:

What's the sulution to this pollution? A poop tube! That's right, go in container and take it home! Kinda gross, I certainly agree. Kayakers and rafters have accepted the "groover", hikers get the tube.

For a great reference on how to make your own tube read "How To Sh*t In The Woods". I forgot who wrote it.

Last edited:
Halite said:
The shovel could also save your life if you have to make an emergency bivy. It can quickly get an insulating layer of snow between you and the elements, even if you just dig a quick trench and throw a tarp over it.

That's what I'm worried about :) I couldn't find the Black Diamond one on REI's website, but I found this one that seems similar. Is this closer to what you're talking about?

Oh, so a tarp should go on the list then? I've only ever seen the real heavy duty ones - too heavy for lugging up a mountain. What do you use?

mubb said:
Oh, so a tarp should go on the list then? I've only ever seen the real heavy duty ones - too heavy for lugging up a mountain. What do you use?

A tarp is one option. Other options include plastic sheeting, a lightweight bivy sack or a tent. The tarp I carry is made of SIL nylon, which is very light, strong and waterproof.

I always bring a small radio with ear buds for late night listening in my tent. I find it keeps out some of the forest noises that keep me awake and I can check out the current weather report periodically.

I carry a light weight bivy sack, even on winter day hikes and overnights. I agree with Sleeping bear about the using the poop tube, a very good practice to get into. The author of "How to Sh** in the Woods, is Kathleen Meyer.
great thread.
kmac

How to build your very own "poop tube" .
http://www.fastq.com/~jrschroeder/poop.htm

Halite said:
A tarp is one option. Other options include plastic sheeting, a lightweight bivy sack or a tent. The tarp I carry is made of SIL nylon, which is very light, strong and waterproof.

All the bivies I see on REI are $200+. Is that the going rate for the thing I'm looking for? Do you have a link for the SIL nylon tarp?

Flatlander_SG said:
I always bring a small radio with ear buds for late night listening in my tent. I find it keeps out some of the forest noises that keep me awake and I can check out the current weather report periodically.

I like the radio idea. You don't have any problem with reception or the batteries goign dead because of the cold?

Tom Rankin said:
Re: Shovel.

Snowclaw makes an aluminum-edged, light-weight shovel. It's about 12 oz. and $25.00.

I saw the snowclaw. I'm curious to find out how it performs "real world". Anyone have any experience with it?

Chip said:
I'm not saying it couldn't, but it hasn't happened yet. I pump it out good after
filtering. If I'm boiling clear stream water to use and carry I don't bother, the filter is more for emergency trail use.
You should be very careful with water filters that are not specifically designed to withstand freezing. Even if you pump out a filter, some water will remain in the filter element. As I understand it, some rigid elements (ceramic?) can be compromised by even a small amount of water freezing inside the filter element. Small cracks in the element might not be visible but would allow water to pass unfiltered through the element. You can’t visually inspect a filter element for signs of ice damage. You wouldn’t know the filter was busted until you got sick.

Some filter elements are made of more flexible materials and might not be damaged by a little ice. (You would still need to pump it out as Chip recommends to avoid damaging the pump parts.) Check with your filter manufacturer to see if your filter is designed for winter use.

mubb said:
I saw the snowclaw. I'm curious to find out how it performs "real world". Anyone have any experience with it?

It is cheap, light and moves alot of snow. Downside, you have to bend over to shovel stuff out which becomes rather tiring especially after a long day of hiking. If you are thinking of getting one I recommend the aluminum version as it chops through ice better. On that same note, depending on the snow condition, your gloves will get rather wet

When camping in a shelter with a group, I carry a snow saw to cut blocks and build a wall to keep out the weather. Some of the Black Diamond shovels can accomodate a snow saw inside the handle.

Reading glasses

For us older folks, reading glasses could save a life. I can't read those map details without them.