Winter Hiking Boots Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garmont Momentum Snow boots1

They are a dream on my bad feet and toasty warm.

They have a second version this year. Insulated to -50.
REI is selling them.

I bought my Garmont last winter and on a hike of the Kinsmans last Saturday, on my way down, the pain in the front of my foot was so bad I fell. Going to see my physician tomorrow and will discuss that issue, among :( others.

I can somewhat testify to the Cabelas Avalanche boots that were recommended earlier in this thread. I bought two pairs - one for my older son and one for my younger son and both boys are saying they love them.

I wear the same leather boots year round.

Dug - I believe my Chippewas were in the Arctic series. They are pretty much as you describe. I've had them for 9 or 10 years - they've held up very nicely and they are heavy and clunky. They do great with crampons - they are a bit wide for my snowshoes, but do fine. The extra weight is great for a conditioning hike, but not for keeping up with some of my faster friends on a challenging winter hike. Still, I'd rather get another pair than risk the kind of pain Erugs describes from trying to fit into a high quality D width boot.

I have a pair of the Garmont GTX boots and really liked them last year. When I wore them last weekend they seemed too tight in the toes and I had some trouble with metatarsal pain on my hike off North Kinsman. (In fact, I was side-stepping down a ledgy area on a lip and the pain was suddenly so intense that I fell.)

I'm going to look at the Cabella boots and see if they are any wider than what I have, as I'll be that way this weekend.

Another boot I was looking at is the Keen winter boot. One winter model was (or is) on sale for $99 at REI. Most of my shoes and one pair of hiking boots are Keen and work well for me. Has anyone tried the Keen winter boots?

I have a pair of Keen shoes they are comfortable but my first pair did not last long at all, I would not trust thier quality for a mountaineering boot, buy from people who make mountain boots and youll be better off.

I have a pair of Keen shoes they are comfortable but my first pair did not last long at all, I would not trust thier quality for a mountaineering boot, buy from people who make mountain boots and youll be better off.

I have really wide feet. When Peter Limmer saw them he called them "bratwurst feet" I bought the keen Summit countries because they Fit My feet better than the salmons and garmonts did. I plan on using them for winter camping and general peakbagging. they are rated to -40 very light and I think they will pair nicely with grivel g10 wides I bought for my snowboard boots. would I climb odells gully with them no, but I think most routes in the whites they will do just fine and they have been very well reviewed to boot:D