Winter Hiking Boots Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LL Bean Storm Chaser boot

Anyone have any experience with the LL Bean Storm Chaser boot?

We tried them out at the Highland Center recently. First impression is lighter and less bulky than my felts, warm enough, and cheaper than most winter boots.

I like my Merrell Thermo 8's, 400 g of Thinsulate keep my feet warm and dry; they work with strap on crampons, snow shoes and microspikes. Pretty light, too.

Mine are going into thier third winter, but this years model looks like this:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Pro...40/Womens/Micca/Brown-Tan/J88174?dimensions=0

Another vote for Merrell Isotherm 8. Picked up a pair a few weeks back and really liked their aggressive sole. To go with their surprising light weight and warmth I found them to be quite comfy. A little pricey but a nice middle ground between boots I wear the other 3 seasons and double plastics.

The best winter hiker I've seen this year is Garmont's Momentum Snow. For the money ($140) it's 400grams of insulation, Gortex, and wicked light. Great in Micro Spikes or snow shoes and can be used with flexible strap on crampons.

The best winter hiker I've seen this year is Garmont's Momentum Snow. For the money ($140) it's 400grams of insulation, Gortex, and wicked light. Great in Micro Spikes or snow shoes and can be used with flexible strap on crampons.

Looking forward to trying out my new ones this weekend. Another friend used her's for the first time this past weekend and loved them.

Looking forward to trying out my new ones this weekend. Another friend used her's for the first time this past weekend and loved them.

Remember very few feet fit perfectly in winter hiking boots without a little modification. I added volumn adjustment shims, superfeet, and a stronger boot lace. Now they fit like a glove. Hope you like yours.

hamburger feet

I'd like to find winter boots that have the real 3 season boot bottoms. The ones that have rubber soles are turning the bottoms of my feet into hamburger. Now that we have had some snow, and I'm in snowshoes more, I don't have the problem. I have sorel type llean boots(rubber bottoms) and north face baltoros(rubber bottom). For those times when your not in snowshoes yet, I need something different. I went and looked at rocky boots, and they have changed to rubber bottoms also. i need a boot that has the sole and side support of 3 season boots, but made for COLD in the winter. any suggestions?

Can't say enough about how well I like the Salomons I got in December. Rated for -13F so somewhere between the 200 and 400 thinsulate which suits me fine. I like the metal loop they put in to hook your gaiters on and the fact that they protect the lower loops with a flap of leather. Nice Traction too!

I'd like to find winter boots that have the real 3 season boot bottoms. The ones that have rubber soles are turning the bottoms of my feet into hamburger. Now that we have had some snow, and I'm in snowshoes more, I don't have the problem. I have sorel type llean boots(rubber bottoms) and north face baltoros(rubber bottom). For those times when your not in snowshoes yet, I need something different. I went and looked at rocky boots, and they have changed to rubber bottoms also. i need a boot that has the sole and side support of 3 season boots, but made for COLD in the winter. any suggestions?

You really only have two general sole types, either sticky rubber or vibram. What I think may be more important to you is the footbed. If you don't already have orthodicts you should look at Superfeet or Sole footbeds. They will support your feet, increase your ankle support and generally make your boots feel much more comfortable. This is especially true in winter hiking boots. Make sure you are measured for the footbeds. Don't just buy them by the size on the box.

Can't say enough about how well I like the Salomons I got in December. Rated for -13F so somewhere between the 200 and 400 thinsulate which suits me fine. I like the metal loop they put in to hook your gaiters on and the fact that they protect the lower loops with a flap of leather. Nice Traction too!

Quite franking Dave, having seen those pictures of you out there in the snow in your short sleeve shirt, I'm not sure what keeps your feet warm can be the standard for everyone. I kind of thought maybe you were wearing Tivas. :D

Have a few hikes onmy new Garmont Momentum Snow boots including a long trek to Owls Head breaking trail. Have to say they are great! Warm and very light weight. Great tread on the bottom. Lot's of toe room.

I was at EMS today in Concord and saw they now have them back in stock - men's and women's!

Cabella's Avalanche -- A best buy

I have several friends who are partial to Cabela's Avalanche boots. They're often sale, as they are now ($65).

I have a pair, and they're great, but since I still have pair of comparable Salomon's which just won't wear out, so it may be a couple of years before I use the Avalanche's regularly.

Now that winter hiking is drawing to a close I thought I would give a word of thanks to Kevin for the tip. My old Solomons which I had used for five or six years (the soles were still as good as new) had a terrible odor problem and they had started to leak. The Goretex no doubt had broken down. I decided to give the Avalanche a try--the price was especially intriguing--it's hard to find a pair of Goretex running shoes at that price and these are all leather boots.

The 400 gram Thinsulate pile lining made the shoes feel like bedroom slippers. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn bar none--winter, summer, dress, hiking, running etc. The leather uppers seemed indestructible. After a winter's use they show no signs of wear from the straps of the snowshoes or spikes that I always had on them. My feet were never cold and even after hours of walking in slop never got wet. After a day's use my socks would be a bit sweaty but not excessively so. Winter or summer, I always change into dry shoes when I arrive back at the car, but this year my feet were so comfortable at the end of a hike that I occasionally just left the boots on and drove home.

True, you might find some boots that are a bit lighter, but all in all when it comes to price\value these boots are hard to beat. I would give them a Consumers Report--Best Buy. :)

...I decided to give the Avalanche a try--the price was especially intriguing--it's hard to find a pair of Goretex running shoes at that price and these are all leather boots.

They do stand the test of time, don't they Ed? I was hiking with an old friend (Al D.) in April, and he's pretty hardcore (hikes twice a week, finished his NHHH in Winter last year, did 31 ADK winter peaks this year, etc) and he's about to buy his third pair since about 2006 as the Goretex is pretty well shot. Outwardly, the boot itself appears in good shape though.

I'm on a quest to upgrade my winter boots. I have extra wide feet (4E but can sometimes work well with a 2E) and everything that looks good doesn't come wide enough. I'm not ready to spend on customizing plastics (which would make them unreturnable) - I haven't liked the plastics I've tried - but then again never had any that really fit.

I have some insulated Chippewa's which could be more comfortable and are big and clunky - but have had no problems with cold feet thus far (toughest was probably -15 F with 30 mph winds on a ridge walk) and they probably have a few winters left so I can afford to be a little picky, but I'd love to upgrade and (perhaps) to have something with a removable liner for winter overnights.

I tried on some Kamik's at Campmor - they were a little high and lacked support, and I wasn't sure I would trust them for a significant winter hike in the Whites. (http://www.muckbootsonline.com/Kamik_Mens_Nation_Plus_Boots_p/wk0627.htm ).

What solutions have folks with extra wide feet found?

Last edited:
Curious the Chippewas you used have. I sold a few pairs of a winter boot when I was in retail several years ago. They were great boots, insulated, sheepskin lined, welted, and you could fit them to crampons. They were very heavy, though. But, for those with a wide foot, they were a great option, as you know. Tough to beat the quality of the boots.

You could always wear a vapor barrier liner sock in your boots, so the inside will stay dry and you won't have to worry about the inside of the boots freezing up on you.

Garmont Momentum Snow boots1

They are a dream on my bad feet and toasty warm.

They have a second version this year. Insulated to -50.
REI is selling them.

Hey whatever works for you, but to be honest, Im amazed at the quality of some of the boots you guys wear in the winter. I wear la Sportiva Lhotse gtx's. They are made by la sprotiva the finest boot maker in the world. They are tough, goretex lined can take any crampon or snowshoe and last for years, Im talking 10 yrs or more and I climb alot. Granted they are not cheap, if you showed up with 400bucks you could eat a cheap dinner after your purchase.

Hey whatever works for you, but to be honest, Im amazed at the quality of some of the boots you guys wear in the winter. I wear la Sportiva Lhotse gtx's. They are made by la sprotiva the finest boot maker in the world. They are tough, goretex lined can take any crampon or snowshoe and last for years, Im talking 10 yrs or more and I climb alot. Granted they are not cheap, if you showed up with 400bucks you could eat a cheap dinner after your purchase.

I think the problem is, well at least for me and pedxing is width. I have tried scarpas, la sportiva's, and lots of high end mountaineering boots and they are all made for someone with narrow feet