Winter Hiking Boots Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus, usually they don't have any tread to speak of, so not only they cumbersome - so look a little silly trying to stay upright.
Overboots generally require crampons or snowshoes for traction.

You might look into insulated supergaiters. I have a pair, and they work fairly well. Just put them on your boots in the comfort of your home - not on the trail - as they are a devil to get on.
Agreed--supergaiters are a better choice for the NE. I have a pair that live on my double boots. I used them for both ice climbing (which requires a lot of standing around while belaying) and hiking. They have a stainless steel wire which goes around the boot welt.

Doug

Gear Junkie Update!

Just picked up the new Salomon Deemax dry 2. First impressions are very positive. They weigh in a little heavier than the Snowtrip Ts I used last year but I think this is due to a more substantial tread pattern and stiffer midsole. These may be the perfect winter shoe for moving fast and light but are crampon compatible for sure and stiff enough to kick steps. Plus I got them for $119.00 at EMS after signing up for the E-mail list for like the 20th time :cool:

After I give them some use I'll report back..

I have several friends who are partial to Cabela's Avalanche boots. They're often sale, as they are now ($65).

I have a pair, and they're great, but since I still have pair of comparable Salomon's which just won't wear out, so it may be a couple of years before I use the Avalanche's regularly.

Ahh...I see...your boots are fine...it's your car that sucks.

I have several friends who are partial to Cabela's Avalanche boots. They're often sale, as they are now ($65).

I have a pair, and they're great, but since I still have pair of comparable Salomon's which just won't wear out, so it may be a couple of years before I use the Avalanche's regularly.

OK Kevin, on your recommendation I decided to give them a try. I had been looking around a bit for winter boots to replace my old Solomons when this thread got started.

When I saw the price they immediately caught my attention. I had some doubts because I had never before tried on a pair of relatively inexpensive boots that I found comfortable. These boots are definitely the exception. They are as comfortable as any boots I've ever worn. They have been plenty warm for the weather so far and quite frankly I think they will meet my needs throughout the winter.

They also appear to be rugged but only time will tell about the durability.

My size 13 boots weigh in at 4 lbs for the pair. I'd love to have them lighter but that's one disadvantage of having big feet. :(

So bring on the winter, I think we're ready to go. :)

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Ed.

Have no idea how Cabela's can sell such a good boot, year after year, at such a good price - often on sale. Hope it continues for a long time.

I tried on a pair of Columbia's last winter and didn't care for the fit. I wanted something that felt like a hiking boot, not a pac boot. I ended up buying some Cabela Snowrunners:

Very similiar to the Cabela Avalanche, 400g thinsulate. Wore them with snowshoes, spikes, and G10's. Seem to work fine, and for $60.......

Petch

Any input on toebox size on either of the Cabelas? I need a roomy toebox. Also, are they true to normal running shoe size?

Thanks!!!!

Quietman - I've used the Cabelas for a few years now and found them comfortable. I like a wide toe box, too. This year, however, when I put them on they felt tight. Maybe because they have been in the closet for 8 or 9 months? Or has my foot size changed? I'll know more this weekend.

I would say the shoes are fairly true to size. I have found the toe box roomy without being sloppy. I can, for instance, go down hill without my toes sliding against the front of the shoes.

In 1980 I wore size 10 1/2, now I'm up to 13. Something has happened over the years. My feet have not gone flat either.

My brother in law used the Cabelas Avalanche boots all of last winter without any problems. I saw them on sale recently so I decided to pick up a pair. They seem like they will do just fine.

Last edited:
Women's winter hikers and insulation

I adore my Salomons. I think they are the "Snowtrip" variety (black with red details). Not plastic, but very warm, waterproof, and they seem to work just fine with crampons. Have so far held up very well with fairly frequent winter use, including about 20 of the NH 4,000 footers. The specs say they are rated to -40 degrees.

All the Web sites I've looked at say the Salomon Snowtrips have only 200g Thinsulate insulation, which would put them at about a +0 to +20 degree (F) rating. I wonder if they've changed? Last year, when searching for my first winter hikers, I had a hard time finding women's boots (not plastic or pac boots) that had more than 200g Thinsulate/insulation (especially in-stock, to actually try on). I settled on Keen Blackcombs. They are higher quality and more technical than I expected. They're quite comfortable and flexible with grippy soles. I re-waterproof them about every other trip, and they're suitable for most winter day-hikes in the Whites. They accept a flexible crampon and are great with snowshoes and micro-spikes. The 200g Thinsulate keeps my feet warm when I'm active at about +15 degrees (F) or above. My toes start to go cold standing still at +20 degrees (F) or lower. I discovered on Mt. Moriah that my toes are decidedly not warm at +3 degrees (F)--moving or otherwise. This year, I'm glad to have found Garmont Momentums with 400g Thinsulate. They're in the mail and I can't wait to try them out.

I had picked up a pair of Keens last winter, but after wearing them a couple times I quickly came to the realization that Keens are not for my feet...too high volume.
I just traded them back in at EMS for a pair of Merrells Isotherm 8's with 400 gram inso, and so far the fit seems much better. As soon as I get a couple times out in them I can follow up.

Any quality leather hiking boot with a full shank and goretex liner works for me 4 seasons one boot.

I will be trying out the Garmont Momentum Snow GTXs this year:
http://www.zappos.com/garmont-momentum-snow-gtx~2

I had the opportunity to check them out at a friend's house this past weekend. Fairly lightweight (looks like they are a little over 1lb lighter than the Ice Dragons), VERY stiff sole for a non-mountaineering boot (not that it matters because I almost never use crampons) and solid construction.

LizR - how are you liking your Garmont. I got a pair over the holiday and wore them last Saturday. They were way too warm for the day, but I wanted to see how they felt for fit. It was almost as though I wasn't wearing boots. Light and very comfortable. I think I'll be pleased, with my Cabela Avalanche as backup.

I, too, have been very pleased with the Garmonts.

Positives

- Warm and waterproof. I wore them on five hikes last week, and as you all know the conditions were extremely varied - from negotiating open water crossings to some pretty sweet trail breaking. The boots kept my feet dry and happy throughout.

- Very compatible with snowshoes/crampons. The boots are sturdy enough in construction around the toe box that straps don't dig in and cause bruising.

- Pretty comfortable as far as boots go. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a trail runner gal through and through... but these will do when temperatures/conditions warrant!

Negatives

- At first I wasn't thrilled with the lacing system. As mentioned previously, I have very narrow feet, which made it difficult for me to tighten the boots sufficiently around my midfoot. However, I was able to resolve this by tightening the first few rows of laces and then trying a knot to keep the fit around my midfoot secure. It'd be great if Garmont could implement some sort of midboot lace locking mechanism (see the Sportiva Nepal EVOs) in their next version of these boots.

- I'm a little worried about the structural integrity of the upper part of the boot. Two winters ago I hiked in a pair of Columbias that "warped" at the back, causing the boot to bend in and press directly against my achilles. This caused tremendous pain, which I assumed was simply an overuse injury until - voila! - I switched boots and everything resolved itself. The Garmonts seem to be exhibiting similar tendencies (regarding the warping) now that I've broken them in a bit.

All in all, though, I'm satisfied. Still wearing goretex trail runners/booties/neoprene socks on warmer winter days, though... ;)

Last edited:
At first I wasn't thrilled with the lacing system. As mentioned previously, I have very narrow feet, which made it difficult for me to tighten the boots sufficiently around my midfoot. However, I was able to resolve this by tightening the first few rows of laces and then trying a knot to keep the fit around my midfoot secure. All in all, I'm satisfied! Still wearing goretex trail runners/booties/neoprene socks on warmer winter days, though... ;)

I usually do a twist around with the laces at the top of my foot, before the bend for the ankle. For me, though, it is so I keep my heel in place but allow for wiggle room for my wide feet. For the final tie at the top, I run "bunny ears" around a second time which causes the knot to remain tight but pull loose at a single good tug.

Last edited:
I just traded them back in for a pair of Merrells Isotherm 8's with 400 gram inso, and so far the fit seems much better. As soon as I get a couple times out in them I can follow up.

They are working like a charm! Feet stay warm and fit great. :D