Winter Sleeping Pad Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn.goat

Reaction score
I need to get a sleeping pad for the winter (I know my 3/4 length Z-Lite won't do) and was wondering what most people use for the winter. I realize that there are major differences between if someone is a "warm" or "cold" sleeper. Would a regular length closed cell pad be fine? Or do I have to double up? I'd prefer to keep the weight down as much as possible and can't imagine having to strap on 2 different pads to my pack (if I want to double up) not to mention the fact that they'd be an obstruction that I'm sure I'd get caught up on. Any advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

One trick instead of lashing your foam cell pad on to your bag is to line the inside of your bag with it.

You're not supposed to blow into self-inflating pads in the winter because the moisture from your breath can freeze and puncture the membrane. I'm not so sure about it tho, I still need to blow mine up to make it effective.

I've settled on 2 pads inside a light bivy shell to keep everything together.
I like a large Ridgerest over a short or regular Ridgerest. This combo weighs about 1.7 lbs. I also own a Therm-a-Rest Trail large self-inflating pad, but it weighs almost 3 lbs by itself. If weight isn't a concern I take this and the large Ridgerest.

Carrying 2 pads is a little awkward, but sleeping well is worth it. I put the big one down the middle of the pack and the small one across the top, like a "T".

dolladoj said:
You're not supposed to blow into self-inflating pads in the winter because the moisture from your breath can freeze and puncture the membrane. I'm not so sure about it tho, I still need to blow mine up to make it effective.
I've thought about that. They don't inflate all the way unless you do blow them up. Even if they never punctured, the moisture in your breath could continue to add to the weight. I like the lightnest and puncture-proofness of the Ridgerest in the winter.

I always use 2 pads in the winter. Thermarest guide lite, and a closed cell. I always put the closed cell under the thermarest, but recently there was a thread, where it was stated that the closed cell should go on top. I will be trying that first chance I get.

Last edited:
MtnGoat, I know you like to travel light so consider that snow is a great insulator. You can lay all your dry clothes under you for increased insulation. Maybe your pack can go under your feet. Also, there are hybrid bags available with synth under you and down above you. A very thin closed cell 3/4 length foam pad as a second layer isn't very cumbersome or heavy anyhow.

The "standard" used to be a full-length 1/2 in closed cell pad. Nowdays, the hiking stores only seem to carry 3/8 in closed cell pads. (The patterned surface closed cell pads don't seem to be any thicker.) A 1.5in self-inflatable by itself is generally not adequate (particularly the light weight ones--eg Prolite 4) and, if it leaks, you could be in for a cold night. A number of people use a 3/8 or 1/2 in closed cell pad with a full or 3/4 length self-inflatable. Warmth and comfort.

If you want to save weight, just use the closed cell pad (perhaps 2 3/8in pads?). If you use 2 3/8in pads, one can be 3/4 length. If you want to save even more weight, you can use 3/4 length pads and prop your feet on top of your pack etc. If you have a rope, there is a tradition of sleeping on one's rope...

Doug

For those who blow up self-inflating pads in winter with their breath:

I have never heard of ice crystals damaging the pad (sounds possible, though), but the moisture in the pad will certainly degrade the insulation and increase the weight. Basically impossible to dry out in the field. I have also heard of metal valves freezing. (Some of the older ones have metal valves.)

Doug

The Exped downmat is a good option that I want to try out this winter
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/19209/EXP/
-at 28oz it seems worth the warmth and comfort.

edit:
Note that you could use a downmat with a bag that does not have insulation underneath (like Big Agnes) and that alone would save you some weight on your bag/pad combo. Again, you'd have to upgrade your whole sleeping gear and that would cost big bucks.

Last edited:
I have a ridge rest foam pad that I got some time ago - that is thick - probably the one doug refers to - I rarely see them this thick now - it is the 4 season version that is green and purple. I typically just use one when backpacking - use 2 when car camping.

but many love the blow up dolls - (ugghh I mean blow up pads).

Neil said:
MtnGoat, I know you like to travel light so consider that snow is a great insulator. You can lay all your dry clothes under you for increased insulation. Maybe your pack can go under your feet. Also, there are hybrid bags available with synth under you and down above you. A very thin closed cell 3/4 length foam pad as a second layer isn't very cumbersome or heavy anyhow.
Snow is a good insulator util it gets wet, melts, or gets compacted into ice (usually takes several days under a sleeper).

Using your clothing as a sleeping pad risks getting it damp from your body moisture unless you use a VBL.

IMO, the synth under/down above bags give you the worst of both... Down inner and synth outer gives you the best of both (plus some weight and bulk).

cbcbd said:
The Exped downmat is a good option that I want to try out this winter
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/19209/EXP/
-at 28oz it seems worth the warmth and comfort.
Wow! Quite a price tag on that one!

Probably ok unless it springs a leak. I, personally, would use it in combination with a 3/8in closed cell pad as a safety.

I see that it comes with a pump--if you use your breath, the down will get wet.

I personally find a self-inflatable to be more comfortable than an air mattress, but you may differ.

Doug

giggy said:
I have a ridge rest foam pad that I got some time ago - that is thick - probably the one doug refers to - I rarely see them this thick now - it is the 4 season version that is green and purple. I typically just use one when backpacking - use 2 when car camping.
Giggy,

No, I haven't seen the thicker ridge rests. I was referring to flat-surfaced closed-cell pads. Just checked a 70's EMS catalog and found several closed-cell foam technologies in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2in thicknesses.

These days, for instance, REI carries only 3/8in blue foam sleeping pads. But they do have a 1/2in thick (18in square) sitting pad. I suppose one could try to assemble a sleeping pad from 3 sitting pads...

Fortunately I still have a 1/2in pad from when they were available. Haven't seen them in quite a while.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Wow! Quite a price tag on that one!

Probably ok unless it springs a leak. I, personally, would use it in combination with a 3/8in closed cell pad as a safety.

I see that it comes with a pump--if you use your breath, the down will get wet.

I personally find a self-inflatable to be more comfortable than an air mattress, but you may differ.

Doug
Yeah, seems like a cool idea, and then you look at the price tag!
The stuff sack doubles as a bellows pump and the bag has two valves so you can pump warm air through it to dry it out.
Air mattresses usually have that long baffle pattern that I'm not to crazy about for laying on. I'll just stick to my cheap and effective (but not too comfortable) close cells for now...

Prolite 3 + A thermolite for me. Total system weight ~23oz, and you can change the amount of warmth by putting the thermolite over or under the prolite. Cost is also less, because the thermolite goes for < $20 and you can use the Prolite 3 alone for the other 3 seasons. Thermolite is good to have around camp, or around a summit, is fire-retardant, and makes a great sled.

-percious

DougPaul said:
Snow is a good insulator util it gets wet, melts, or gets compacted into ice (usually takes several days under a sleeper).
I always check (if there's 2 or more of us) to see who melted less snow.
This person (hopefully me) slept warmer. If it's not me, I check their gear.

I usually use either a Thermarest LE or a Camp Rest, sometimes combined with an Evazote closed cell pad. As far as I know I've never gotten a leak in an inflatable pad while winter camping, but I have a leaky inflatable pad (Thermarest Standard) that I've used on snow. It's no fun to wake up cold and have to blow up the pad every few hours. I don't worry about moisture inside the pad, it can be vented out at home between trips simply by letting the pad fill with warm, dry air and rolling it up a few times. And the moisture you blow inside probably doesn't make it very far before it gets absorbed by the foam and freezes, so the critical areas below the hips and shoulders probably won't be affected.

cbcbd said:
I'll just stick to my cheap and effective (but not too comfortable) close cells for now...
Consider adding a self-inflater. Full length or 3/4. Solid foam or light-weight "honeycomb" foam. A bit more expensive than a closed cell pad, but very comfortable. I'm not likely to go back...

Doug

I've always been a 2 padder. A closed cell foam bottom and then my old orange thermarest on top of it. I did have some of the old blue pads, but they have degraded over the years and I cut them into sitpads.. I bought some ridge rests on closeout on '97 to replace them and they have been fine since.

I wouldn't want to risk having 2 inflatables as my only protection in winter.

I do have a friend that winter camps with just his thermarest and then sections of foam pads (like the sitpads) which he puts under his shoulders, hips and feet (Pack also goes under the feet, if dry). He swears by it.

As far as blowing up a thermrest in winter, I never had a problem and if the valve freezes shut, I wrap my ungloved hand around it for 20 seconds and it seems to do the trick. My thermarests spend so much time open and "breathing" under our beds, I assume they lose any excess moisture between trips.

I have a bigger problem with my tent poles freezing up I use a bic lighter to heat the joints up for a few seconds to get them apart (You can try your hands, but they get pretty darn cold quickly - especially if you have a 4 pole tent with long poles :) )

Down mat feedback

Sounds like discussion didn't dwell on this product, but for what it's worth, I inflated one at Kittery Trading Post. Took probably 20 min of significant effort in an indoor environment--no telling how much effort it would require in the field!