Winter Tent Challenge '13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Red Oak! So my experience last night wasn't good, failure. I went back into my house around midnight, not because of the cold, just the opposite... to hot!
Things I learned...

1.a nalgene filled with boiling water does heat up the bag sometimes to much! My sleeping bag is cut so narrow at the feet that it was uncomfortable with the bottle there. Then when I moved the bottle in the middle it was to hot near my body... out went the nalgene.
2. Putting on the toes warmers, then down booties made my feet to warm. So now I'm feeling like I have to take the booties off, so I do. Feet were hot and I was afraid to take the socks off.
3. I really hate the narrow mummy cut bag, have had it for almost 10 years and used it maybe 20 times, still hate it. I'm a belly sleeper and like to stretch my arms out, so I wrapped my arms inside my jacket and stretched out.

So, I'm ready to try it out again with a few different ideas. whoo hoo! But not tonight, have friends over for a winter campfire! Stop by if your in the area of Plainview NY!
Thank you! Next time I drive out to L.A.,I will stop by:) ,and bring bourbon which does not freeze as bad as beer. Worst part of going inside after being out for me is how my pleasant girlfriend likes to call me a wimp while I pour hot beverages into my system...happy New year!

I keep at least one hot water bottle in its foam insulator in the base of the bag and when my feet get cold at some point at night I remove the bottle from the jacket. Unless its real cold I dont start out with one

1.a nalgene filled with boiling water does heat up the bag sometimes to much! My sleeping bag is cut so narrow at the feet that it was uncomfortable with the bottle there. Then when I moved the bottle in the middle it was to hot near my body... out went the nalgene.
Put the Nalgene in its cozy when you climb into the bag to reduce (and extend) the heat.

2. Putting on the toes warmers, then down booties made my feet to warm. So now I'm feeling like I have to take the booties off, so I do. Feet were hot and I was afraid to take the socks off.
My feet stay nice and warm in my bag by simply wearing socks and booties with no warmers.

3. I really hate the narrow mummy cut bag, have had it for almost 10 years and used it maybe 20 times, still hate it. I'm a belly sleeper and like to stretch my arms out, so I wrapped my arms inside my jacket and stretched out.
You get used to it... I can also sleep on my side in a mummy bag but it is a bit colder than lying on my back. I fold up a fleece jacket or vest for a pillow. (A light-weight pillow case is handy for controlling the jacket/vest: http://www.rei.com/product/829898/therm-a-rest-ultralite-pillow-case.)

Sleeping on your back is also more comfortable if you put something under the backs of your knees (eg the water bottle) or under the small of your back (eg a spare hat).

Doug

Last edited:
Agree with DougPaul about mummy bags. I started out on my back with a spare fleece stuffed under my knees. Comfortable, but I prefer being on my side and did just that with some extra head support. All was well until it dipped below zero. My nose didn't care too much for that and decided not to let any air through, which is a deal-breaker for me, not being comfortable with mouth breathing. I bailed around 2am. Of course, if I was in the woods somewhere I would have just dealt with it. The previous night was 12F and very comfortable. All in all, a good opportunity to dial in the cold weather gear and learn a few things in the process. I might consider adding nasal decongestant and Breathe Right strips to my kit!