World's Worst Weather? Really?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something funny that I read on the MOunt Washington thread that was posted the other day.....

"When I went up the auto road this winter on a guided tour the
women driving told us that a film crew was working on a story
of Bad weather on Mt. Everest and after 2 weeks of calm days they
desended Everest without wild weather on film from Everest.
So the crew finished up the film by going up Mt Washington and filming the Crazy weather on Mt Washington and edited it on the Everest story.
So long story short, a story of Mt Everest has Mt Washington footage
of the poor weather on Mt Everest. Funny?"

grouseking

I saw the documentary on this. It was hillarious, cause at one point they had a dude throwing snow in the wind past thier I-MAX camera. I guess the show must go on!

grouseking said:
Something funny that I read on the MOunt Washington thread that was posted the other day.....

"When I went up the auto road this winter on a guided tour the
women driving told us that a film crew was working on a story
of Bad weather on Mt. Everest and after 2 weeks of calm days they
desended Everest without wild weather on film from Everest.
So the crew finished up the film by going up Mt Washington and filming the Crazy weather on Mt Washington and edited it on the Everest story.
So long story short, a story of Mt Everest has Mt Washington footage
of the poor weather on Mt Everest. Funny?"

grouseking

this thread is 106 respones of true Fluff... edited 4/28

Last edited:
Thus it appears that while we cannot claim that Mount Washington is at times colder than anywhere else on earth, the severy of its climate at the worst seems to be equalled or slightly exceeded only on the very highest mountains of middle or high latitudes and in Antarctica's "Home of the Blizzard."

The full text of The Worst Weather in the World by Charles Brooks is now online.

everest south col data

In 1999 a US expedition (organized in part by Washburn) put instruments on the South Col of Everest. I don't know how long it stayed operational; I've seen a graph of one year's temperature data (with a big gap when the instrument was snow-covered). It looks like:

Lowest temperature seen (Jan 2000) is around -40C, comparable to Mt Washington's all-time record (-49F, in 1876). The average over the winter is about -28C, versus Mt Washington's winter average (by my eyeballing) in the single digits F (around -12C).

Reports indicate the summit is consistently colder than the South Col.

Looks like I've got myself another library treasure hunt...we'll see how many weeks it takes this time ;)

Update: found an MIT thesis that describes the 1998 expedition. Very little weather data but some interesting details about the equipment. (PDF file, slow to load)
Matt Lau's thesis

Last edited: