WS Tempest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Can get a GREAT deal on a Tempest from work. The deal applies only to plastic boats. It would be foolish not to take it. On that note, anyone out there own a Tempest 170 (plastic)? Any one heard pros/cons? I understand a glass boat is ideal but $$$ wise, the Gen2 version seems like a real nice boat as well.

Thoughts on similar boats from different manufacturers?

You guys are the best!!!

Have you paddled one yet? Don't buy anything you haven't spent 30 minutes or so in. You should be able to get a demo.

Nice to see that even though it is plastic that it comes with a skeg. I'm a fan of skegs over rudders. I haven't paddled a Tempest, so I can't really help more than that.

- darren

Realisticly, inside the water, for most paddlers, plastic vrs composites is too overrated, kind of like bike material -AL-CroMo-Ti-CF... a lot of boat feel and speed is the design over the material. Durability asside, the big advantage of composites is their strength to weight, i.e. you can use less material to make a kayak hull strong which makes the overall weight less. So, outside the water, the composite kayak is much easier to portage, load/unload etc..

In the water, I am the believer that a strong paddler in a plastic kayak will easily be faster than a weak paddler in a composite, even in a lesser design. It also is true that 95% of the recreational kayaks are plastic... and rec kayaks are designed different that full-on touring kayaks which will come in a mixture of plastic and composite designs...

If you have a good deal on a tempest 170 and don't mind dealing with the weight out of the water, I say go for it. Of course, Darren is correct that paddling it will be the only way to say if a boat is right for you.

Jay

In my paddling clubs, the tempest 165 gets great comments in plastic. Assume the 170 shares those pros.

Jay H said:
Realisticly, inside the water, for most paddlers, plastic vrs composites is too overrated,

I would not agree. If you paddle the same design in plastic and in glass you will see a big difference. The comparison of a strong paddler vs a weaker paddler is not really valid because the only thing that really matters is one paddler - the one buying the boat. A lighter kayak is not only easier to carry to the water. It is also much easier to turn and control. Less drag on a glass boat also plays a big role here. Go paddle a plastic cappella and then a glass cappella. You will feel a night and day difference. And the capella is one of the best plastic boats out there. I have seen even the most novice paddler do that comparison and give the "oh my God" reaction.

I am not saying that plastic boats are no good. It is all about what each person wants and how much they want (or can) spend to get it. But I would certainly not say that the difference between glass and plastic is over rated. Given the same model boat, I would spend more money on a used glass version than a brand new plastic one.

- darren

Last edited:
darren said:
Given the same model boat, I would spend more money on a used glass version than a brand new plastic one.
I would have to agree with Darren there. My next plastic kayak will be a whitewater kayak... any more sea kayaks and they'll be fiberglass.

cbcbd said:
My next plastic kayak will be a whitewater kayak... any more sea kayaks and they'll be fiberglass.
Plastic vs fiberglass on whitewater brings up somewhat different issues. Whitewater boats get banged and slid over rocks a bit more often. Fiberglass tends to be more prone to breaking (but is easier to fix) than is plastic. Plastic tends to slide over rocks more easily.

Doug

darren said:
I would not agree. If you paddle the same design in plastic and in glass you will see a big difference. The comparison of a strong paddler vs a weaker paddler is not really valid because the only thing that really matters is one paddler - the one buying the boat. A lighter kayak is not only easier to carry to the water. It is also much easier to turn and control. Less drag on a glass boat also plays a big role here. Go paddle a plastic cappella and then a glass cappella. You will feel a night and day difference. And the capella is one of the best plastic boats out there. I have seen even the most novice paddler do that comparison and give the "oh my God" reaction.

I am not saying that plastic boats are no good. It is all about what each person wants and how much they want (or can) spend to get it. But I would certainly not say that the difference between glass and plastic is over rated. Given the same model boat, I would spend more money on a used glass version than a brand new plastic one.

- darren

I think any professional kayak racer will cream my ass in a plastic Capella than in my 'glass Impex! :)

I also know that most friends with plastic boats simply drag their kayaks over the rocks. Surely, most folks with composites don't drag kayaks up the beach or through rocks either.

Since plastic boats are a bit heavier than glass ones given the same lengths, they'll displace more water and have a slightly different waterline, which affects the handling and the perceived handling by the paddler.

All I'm saying is that if you have a great deal on a plastic kayak, don't NOT buy it just because it is plastic...

Jay

Yeah Darren, I've been in one for a couple of hours. I work at Glacier Bay Sports for the summer and had the chance to guide a day camp down and back up the Carmen's River in the Tempest - about 3 hours.

The thing is, I can't get as good a discount on the glass boats as I can on the plastic ones so $$$-wise, the plastic boat is a kick-butt deal.

Comparing apples to apples, I'd also say that a glass boat is a world of difference. We have some older model glass kayaks at the shop and they slice right through the water compared to plastic. I've experienced that with paddling canoes as well. In any case, I think the plastic boat is gonna be just fine. Glass repairs will be one less thing I have to worry about.

I'll post more when I get it. Thanks all!

Avocet

In my local sea kayaking club, there is one well-liked plastic boat among the Kevlar and Fiberglass fleet, the Valley Avocet.

Thanks for the tip on the Valley Avocet. Unfortunately my boss only deals with Wilderness Systems, Necky, Perception, Old Town and Ocean Kayak and names under the Confluence umbrella.

If you have paddled it and you like it and it is a very good deal then get it. Get it now while you still have plenty of warm water left. If in a year or two if you feel like you need more of a boat then get one then and add to the quiver. This boat becomes a boat your friends can use and a person with two boats is never short of friends. I own 3 kayaks and I plan on buying a 4th when I go back home. Plus I picked up a nice used OC-1 (one person outrigger canoe) out here. So I guess I am already at 4 boats.

So go get the boat, get in the water, and post a trip report. :D

- darren

As Darren mentioned,you can always do a boat upgrade later,and have multiple boats. The other thingto consider is that if the boat is a good deal,there's always a good market for used plastic boats in the 14-17ft range,as people get into the sport.

I never became a "multi-boat" kayaker,as I was able to sell my Carolinas for all the money very quickly.As in my point above.

I will confess to having a lust for a VC Pintail,but I've resisted buying one as a "play boat".

All right, all right :D
I called the rep today. I should have the paperwork before next week. It could take as little as two weeks (fingers crossed) for the boat to come in.

Thanks for all your in sights. I'll be sure to post more when the boat is in.

Got the Boat! Had it out yesterday around Jessup's Neck between the forks. Short trip but any trip is great (usually). My wife joined me with the rental Tempest from work. It was great. A little wine and cheese out along the shore of the refuge (sshhh) and had the wind at our back for the return.
Not the best of weather. Very gray skies...the threat of t-storms all around but nothing ever opened up...that must've been the 30% chance NOAA was talking about. Just made for a different setting which is always cool!
Anyway, the boat is cool. Not that I have a lot of experience with other kayaks but out of the water, this thing is a tank. Pretty heavy. Looks cool in orange. Have a Seals Mariner on the way to complete the package. Well, not quite...still need a decent paddle for a decent price. Any suggestions? Would love a Werner Carbon Fiber but the $$$$$$$......