York Beach Sunrise...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I went to York Beach the other morning well before dawn when it was well below zero out. Just a great morning to go to the beach! Seasmoke was my reason for going, but the plan was to shoot the dawn with long exposures until the seasmoke lit up!

Lots of techs to this, but really curious on your thoughts on if this whole thing comes together for you?!

Appreciate any comments and critiques, and happy to answer questions on the techs..

Canon 20D with Sigma 18-200
25 Seconds at F20
ISO 100
Polarizer Filter
3 stop ND filter
2 Stop GND filter
Tripod
Slight saturation boost in PSE

IMG_9155sms2-vi.jpg

I'll go back to mountain shots soon! Oh, and to see the seasmoke later that morning, click here!

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I really like this photo, the only critique I might have is that I would like to see more. I love sunrise/sunset photos and would have liked to see maybe a wider angle on this to include more of the shore/rocks and sunset colors.

A really excellent shot, I do enjoy all your photo's, keep 'em coming.

BTW, I just checked out your Seasmoke photo, beautiful.

Glenn

Last edited:
OK, since I'm supposed to be critiquing all I can ask for is a horizontal format to see more of the icy rocks.
What I'm really doing is counting out six months until I'm back on the coast of Maine!
And yes, the seasmoke one was a good one too. Interesting how you commented you were all packed up to go when the sun broke through. That seems to happen more times than we'd prefer (including to me). The lesson is patience.

Since I'm learning about the GND filters, did you line it up with the rocks or with the horizon?

And was the ND filter used just to allow a longer exposure time?

Last edited:
I can state that I like this picture better then the last. I am certain I am looking at the ocean.

The sea smoke picture is one I could see purchasing framed from a gallery (i.e., I like that one even better.) Even though there is a lot of water and a lot of sky, there is enough texture on the water and in the sky to be interesting.

Was this ice or water? Looks more like water, less alien to me, then your previous picture.

Tim

I think this works very well. It holds my eye within the frame. I kind of like the vertical frame as it optimizes the view of the rocky shoreline, while still keeping the far offshore rocks visible and the features in the sky large. No doubt a horizontal frame could also work.

Jim,

Looks very nice, but can I see a larger version? I can't tell if the rocks are white or if they have ice on them. I think it is ice.

Thanks

- darren

BorealChickadee said:
Since I'm learning about the GND filters, did you line it up with the rocks or with the horizon?

And was the ND filter used just to allow a longer exposure time?

The GND was lined up across the horizon, as water reflections are typically about 2 stops darker than the reflected subject. The Graduated part then evens things up around the grad line.

The ND filter was to slow down the shutter speed...exactly right. Otherwise the ocean wouldn't look as 'glassy.' It was going to be a slow shutter speed anyway, this just made the effect smoother.

Darren,
Here's a link to a larger image. Definately ice. The yaktrax definately earned their keep this monring!

http://www.naturephotographers.net/...r=14917&b=vf20&st=0&la=225&ph=0&sid=978&u=978

~Jim

Jim,

Thanks. The larger version looks great. I can see the details in the ice on the rocks. Very cool. Great use of filters once again to get the image you wanted.

You have been getting some inspiration from Marc Adamus again, haven't you? :D

- darren

Marc is Unbelievable with what he does with his lens, and yes, I've been soaking up his posts on other sites like a sponge!

If you want a time kill, and to see some amazing mountain photography, marcadamus.com is a fantastic place to do it. So much talent and not even 30 yet!

I like that the ice-coated rocks make the foreground appear to be in black and white and then your eye is drawn to the background with that fire-y red sky. It's an awesome contrast. Not too jarring, just nice and subtle in the transition.

For comparison purposes, I'd like to see the horizontal version as well.