you bring beers hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
weather sucks - so Im in front of this computer today - so - another useless post.

who brings beers (or anything else) with them up the mountain? I don't in the winter - but summer backpacks when staying overnight - I am known to bring at least a six up the mountain. couple times, I lugged 12.

I don't smoke pot - but I guess it does have an advantage in weight for those who do.

Last edited:
I like to bring a beer with me that I usually savor while I enjoy the view from the top in solitude. Back in January I had myself a cold Guiness in the blowdown area atop Mount Tom. The canadian jays were out in full force but I was unable to figure out a way to share it with them. I don't think birds have tongues to lick beer off my finger tip, like my cat does.

I know some people might feel a little concerned about alcohol and hiking, and I would understand this if I were lugging up a 30 rack of Natural Light to swill. I think enjoying a single quality beer in silence is no different from those who carry champagne up with them to celebarate, and is a nice way to relax before the trip dow.

Last edited:
I don’t drink beer (or other alcohol) before or while actually hiking, simply because it tends to make me feel lethargic.

After-hike at the end of the day is quite another matter.

G.

A typical summer hike or early fall hike for me consists of hiking the mountain during the day. Then coming down to the campsite ( lafayette is my favorite ) where the tent and camp chairs are already set up and the bud-lights are on ice in the cooler. Nothing is better to me right after the hike than sucking down some bud-lights and eating cool ranch Doritos. Then we start the grill up. Good stuff. TJH

I have to admit I usually bring a 6 pack ( sometimes a little more :rolleyes: ) and usually a plastic flask with a little xtra bite in it. I do enjoy a couple beers after a good day of hiking and the little xtra bite helps on cool or rainy days to put a little fire in the belly.

Back in my younger days early 20s I on occasion hauled half keg on a packboard up to Crag Camp or Gray Knob . For long weekend festivities, trust me on this do not do it if you are younger. I have hauled a 12 or six pack up to Crag, the Knob. Or a even to Guyot shelter, depending conditions and who was with me. . I hauled a turkey and a case of Sam Adams up to Gray Knob on Xmas eve once. , No way I would could I do it now! If to spend a weekend up at a place like that I would hump a six pack or a 12 pack up and even share few with others just bring something along to share (legal ) . . Hey if any one wants to cook a good meal I will haul up the beer. Crag is a great place to relax after a hike. Now if only there were places like Crag Camp and Gray Knob in CO yep they have Hut and they are very nice bit not near any cool 14 k peaks
I take it one of the more well known posters her is a good cook!? If she hauls up food to Crag I will haul up beer. I am sure others would join in . It might even be fun and a good way to get to know new members of VFFT .
Could even be fun.
I have a hiking climbing trip booked in CO for late June a good time to climb some of the tough 14 k peaks on snow makes them lot easier , I would not mind PM for more info

4 pack

Depending on the time of year and trip I don't mind hauling in a 4-pack of Beamish cans and a wee bit of Irish Mist. Easy to carry in and even easier to carry out !!
TC

Oh yeah, a nice ending to my dayhikes is to enjoy a few yummy brews, which are waiting in the truck. I'll wander into woods a bit after changing boots for sneakers, sit and enjoy. In summer, I like to soak my feet in a brook and a savor a few.

Even better is when I'm camping for the night. In this case I'll tote a few for around the campfire. If my wife is with me, it's a nice bottle of red wine.

Life is good :)

I've celebrated with champagne, wine with cheese & crackers on summits, but never a beer yet on a summit. Nothing like some ice cold Long Trail Ale after a hot summer day of hiking.
I've thought about filling my hydration bag with beer ;)
Nah!

proszach said:
a sixer of PBR tallboys works for me
PBR rocks. It was my first.
15 and working hard in the summer with my dad, he'd let me have 1 or 2 and I'd sneak a 3rd .
I'll pack in a little dark rum for my decaf tea in the evening around the tent...

pete-
glad to see the selection of maine beers in your photo. the gritty's winter seasonal is one of my favorites!

luke

I recognize those pictures Pete!!

I wonder who could have picked out all those Maine/New England beers, AND hauled them into Baxter Park???????

Too bad a better selection of good beer doesn't come in a can.

The full growler got carried through the Mahoosucs last summer. Nothing like beer, coconut soup, and Thai food after a long grueling day.

well, I find the idea of many (do you find that after a 10 hour day on the trail you can drink beer endlessly and eat inhuman amounts of food without feeling it?) ice cold beers the best thing in the world back in a campground after a long day of hiking. I just cannot fathom carrying all of the extra weight of beer (and keeping it cold...are there any tricks of the trad out there? ;) ) On the other hand...Johnnie Walker Black Label in a plastic flask has a great weight to buzz/pain relief ratio and I highly recommend it. :D

Last edited:
Being completely practical, Barcardi 151 gives more bang for the weight and also helps sluggish campfires. :D

In my younger days a couple friends and I had an annual trip up to the Liberty Cabin on Chocurua. We'd each carry about 1/2 a case of beer. We'd take the Champney Falls trail and hit the summit before going down to the cabin. There's nothing like enjoying a few brews on top of a mountain on a nice spring day! Of course hiking down to the cabin with a buzz was a bit of a challenge.

Today, I may bring a Guinness, Beamish or Tetley's with me on a backpacking trip. The nitrogen fueled cans like this are great for backpacking since they don't carbonate until you open them. Otherwise I wait until I get back to camp to enjoy a beer. Or if it's a day hike I'll hit the Woodstock Inn or Moat Mountain brewpub before heading home.

I never drink on a trail. I like to concentrate on my hiking and where I'm going. Besides I find a cold beer is enjoyable after accomplishing my hike. During the fall (the season in which I hike) I like to drink Long Trail Ale. Should be the official beer of hikers. :)