VFTT Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17. Hiking/Skiing Plans and requests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[[*]Pierce Hike: contact: carole (Richard,Alpinista,Puck,amstony,vegematic,coldfeet,McRat)

Carole,

Unfortunately, I am being asked to work tomorrow :mad: and can not make the Pierce hike. I really can't say no since I am up for a promotion......... Enjoy, and I hope you get some decent snow!

Tony

hey, Washington group,

Do we need concern the avalanche risk???

" HIGH, avalanche danger, crust, faceting, front, frontal, human triggered avalanches, lee , natural avalanche, path, precipitation , slab, slabs, stress, temperature gradients, wind transported,

6:44 a.m., Friday, January 14, 2005
Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines currently have HIGH avalanche danger."

http://www.mountwashington.org/avalanche/

Anyway, I'll join the group. Hope tomorrow will be better ...

--- blueZ

Hi BlueZ,
I believe the plan is to climb up on the Lions head winter route which has much less avalanche danger than either of the ravines. It's very steep and with the rain atop snow and then freezing with some powder on top it will be pretty slick. I've been up this in much better footing in winter and had no problems, glad to have the 12 point crampons and ice axe. See you there tomorrow.

Jim, thank you for reassureing me! :cool: :cool: :cool:
I'll bring crampon and ice axe tomorrow ... excited, meet the group there!!!
:) :) :)

Jim lombard said:
Hi BlueZ,
I believe the plan is to climb up on the Lions head winter route which has much less avalanche danger than either of the ravines. It's very steep and with the rain atop snow and then freezing with some powder on top it will be pretty slick. I've been up this in much better footing in winter and had no problems, glad to have the 12 point crampons and ice axe. See you there tomorrow.

Adams Saturday

Dave and others: I had trouble getting out of Boston and had to cancel my plans for the weekend. My apologies... enjoy the hike.

-Aaron

I was hoping that I would be able to get up there and meet some of you people at this gathering but it isn't going to work out.

To everyone, have a great time and I look forward to reading about everyones exploits. :D

Keith

Last edited:
saturday

had a darn cold come on..worked today instead of hiking up there. tomorrow what trail up to madison col? figure if i feel human ill drive up and strike up the valley way after you.