VFTT Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17. Hiking/Skiing Plans and requests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
Gathering 7.5 SUMMARY Wish List:
Contact listed where known, (Interested parties are in parentheses)
Thursday 1/14:
  • Jackson and Pierce Hike: contact: JohnL [email protected]
  • Mount Moriah via Stony Brook Trail: contact ??? (ADK4487)
  • Wildcat Lift-served freeheel/alpine/board: contact: Mark_151
Friday 1/14:
  • Wildcat A and D XC Ski/Hike (7:30 AM, Lot "C"): contact: SherpaK [email protected] (Mark_151,shizzmac,BoB?,Dalraida)
  • Wildcat A and D Hike: contact: JohnL [email protected](sli74,KenC,donna,Dr.Wu)
  • Wildcat Lift-served freeheel/alpine/board: contact: teejay
  • Cabot Hike: contact: Alpinista (skimom,MadTownie,nonlegit,PoisonIvy)
  • Mt Hight and Carter Dome: contact: ??? (ADK4487,daxs)
Saturday 1/15: (Note: potluck night!)
  • Washington via Lion's Head hike: contact: peak_bgr (HarryK,Jim Lombard,skimom,PoisonIvy?,donna,FarmerBob,NH_Mtn_Hiker,Jaytrek57,Blue,Mtn_Top,Frodo,TJH,Hamtero,Suebiscuit)
  • Middle and South Carter Hike (7:00 AM, Imp Trailhead North): contact: SherpaK [email protected] (ADK4487,skimom,crazymama,MadTownie,ShrinkRap,MaryEllen,PoisonIvy,nonlegit,sli74,FarmerBob,MichaelJ,daxs,teejay,ajtiv,Dr.Wu,Sundog,Dalraida,ChrisB)
  • Pierce Hike: contact: carole (Richard,Alpinista,Puck,amstony,vegematic,coldfeet,McRat)
Sunday 1/16:
  • Mt Hight and Carter Dome: contact: ??? (crazymama,MaryEllen)
  • BC Skiing: contact: ??? (sli74,crazymama,Rick)
Monday 1/17: Pending Plans:
  • Avalanche Brook/Wildcat/Mt Doublehead various BC ski tours: contact: ??? (Dave Metsky,Spencer,crazymama?,shizzmac?,sli74,Rick,SherpaK,seeker)
  • Jefferson via Castle Trail, Madison, Moriah or Carrigain on Sat or Sun: contact: JohnL [email protected](crazymama?)
  • Wildcat Alpine ski/board: contact:??? (Mr.X)
  • Weeks Hike: contact:??? (Tramper Al,FarmerBob)
Disclaimer: Participants in these activities understand and accept the inherent dangers associated with said activities. Any information obtained herein and participation in these activities is solely at your own risk. This forum is intended as an exchange of information, and not as an invitation to an organized event.

Last edited:
This thread is intended for Hiking and Skiing Plans for the upcoming Winter Gathering. I'd like to accomplish 2 things here: 1) a "likely" hike list, 2) a contact list for each hike. For other General Gathering Information see THIS THREAD

Please post any hikes/ski trips that you'd like to do while at the Gathering. If you feel comfortable acting as the point person for any of these activities, please let me know (either here or via eMail). I will keep a running list of each planned hike/ski, the contact person, and date that it is being planned. Note: the contact person is NOT expected to "lead" the hike, unless they offer to. They are merely helping out in organizing start time, participants, etc. and answering any questions that may come up.

Assuming the weather cooperates, I hope to do these hikes:

Friday, 1/14: XC ski up (and down) Wildcat via the Polecat Trail, with a peakbag of Wildcat "A" and "D". If there is enough interest, some may opt to head down the Wildcat Valley Trail. If that is the case, we will have to make arrangements for them to be picked up in the Valley. I will return down the Polecat Trail, as I need to get back to Barnes Field relatively early). Approx 5 mile ski/4 mile hike (9 total), 3850 feet.
Saturday, 1/15: Hike Middle and South Carter using the Imp (likely South branch), North Carter, Carter Moriah, Carter Dome, and 19 Mile Brook Trails. 10.8 miles, 3750 feet
Sunday, 1/16: Mt Hight an Carter Dome via the 19 Mile Brook, Carter Dome, and Carter Moriah trails. 10 miles, 3450 feet. (Note: I may XC Ski instead if the knee is hurting)
(Note: due to the exposure on Mt Hight, Sat and Sun hikes may be reversed. Wildcat hike is definitely on Friday due to heavy ski traffic on Saturdays)

If all is set up early on Thursday, I may also do a bit of XC skiing through Dolly Copp and the Hayes Copp XC Trail. I will act as point person for each, but would love someone to take over for any of them!
Looking forward to seeing all of you!

Last edited:
Haven't finalized any plans, but if the snow is good I would like to ski one, two, or all of the following:
  • Avalanche Brook
  • Wildcat ski tour
  • Mt Doublehead
Not sure of the days yet, but looking for other interested backcountry skiers right now.

-dave-

The plan is the plan until the plan changes. Here's my plan for that weekend:

Thu Jan 13
Jackson and Pierce, then head over to Barnes Field to set up camp.

Fri Jan 14
Wildcats via 19 Mile Brook & Wildcat Ridge Tr's. Snowshoe down the Polecat Trail.

Sat Jan 15 & Sun Jan 16
I have several potential objectives and it will depend upon if someone wants to join me. Jefferson via Castle Trail, Madison, Moriah or Carrigain. I'll break camp first on Sunday before I start any hike.

JohnL

I'm flexible on dates/times/mountains, but tentatively:

Thursday, Jan. 13: heading up and setting up camp at Barnes Field.
Friday, Jan. 14 : Mt. Cabot
Saturday, Jan. 15: Mt. Pierce, Moriah or Carter Dome.

Sherpa,

I will leave Western New York after work on Tuesday, expecting to arrive at Barnes early afternoon on Wednesday. I’ll bring the 10x20-warming tent and for sharing, hot mulled wine. I do not have a kerosene or butane heater. If someone can bring one or more, all the better.

My current plans are:

Thursday Jan. 13th
North Carter, Middle Carter, South Carter. In on Imp Trail out on Nineteen Mile / Carter Dome trail.

Friday Jan 14th
Mount Hight and Carter Dome. In on Nineteen Mile / Carter Dome, out on Brook Trail / Nineteen Mile.

Saturday Jan 15th
Mount Moriah via Stony Brook Trail.

As I have not done these previously, any suggestions would be helpful. I am open to other climbs. The Presidential range is already in the bag, so I am looking for new summits. I must drive back on Sunday because work gets in the way of play :mad: .

Sherpa,

Good suggestion, I'll be there. My only concern is how long will it take for the Carter group (North, Middle, South) and still be back in time for pot-luck on Saturday? Other suggestions?

I'm planning on coming up early Thursday. I might do something familiar on the way up, like ski (finally) Moosilauke, or just come straight to the camp site. If I come straight up I plan to spend the day playing on Wildcat.

Friday I plan on the Wildcat ski/hike, and if there's someone experienced, I'd like to do Wildcat Valley (I'll probably keep the skins on for the descent).

Saturday is up in the air -- maybe the Carter/Moriah hike, or I'm also interested in Chocorua as a ski or hike. I'd also like to hike to Tuckerman Ravine and ski the Sherburne Trail. If there's and ice climbers coming, I wouldn't mind doing a route or two, but I need ice tools (I have everything else). Madison/Adams would also be tempting from such a perfect base camp....

Basically, I don't want to do too much planning. I spent my vacation time this summer taking care of my father while he recuperated from a triple bypass. This'll be the first REAL chance to unwind that I've had in almost 1.5 years. I think the most ambitious plan I have is to have Sherpa in the background of one of my pictures. :D

Mark

Last edited:
I'll have two solid hiking days: Saturday and Sunday. I'm pretty open given that I haven't done too much hiking in the Whites yet. (Have only done the Presidentials minus Madison.)

1/15 Saturday: would like to join Sherpa and Ed for Middle/South Carter

1/16 Sunday: May join Sherpa for Mt. Hight and Carter Dome, or would consider hiking Madison with JohnL, or try some backcountry skiing (nothing too hard.) I may wait and see how I feel following the hike on Saturday.

I'll be driving up Friday afternoon/evening, and leaving Monday morning.

I'd like to join Alpinista for Cabot on Friday, then do the Carters with SherpaKroto on Saturday. On Sunday he rested? Nah, just haven't decided yet! :D

Info on Skiing hte Auto Road

I just got this note from Howie Wemyss from Great Glens Trails regarding skiing the Auto Road.
Here's the deal: since this is a part of our xc trail system a trail pass is required for each day that you would be on the Auto Road. Adult passes are $15. Skiing is allowed with free heel equipment only. This is an insurance requirement, since you'll be skinning up the Road I doubt you'd be on alpine equipment but I need to mention this. No snowboarding. The Road gets used by our SnowCoaches so you will have other users on the Road although most SnowCoach passengers go round trip. The Road snow surface is highly variable because of SnoCat and SnowCoach traffic. We groom the lower half but unless you are up there very early you won't get the benefit of it.
Just thought I'd add this in in case anyone was interested in heading up there (which is likely:)).

Rick said:
Ouch!!! Yikes!!! Welcome to New England
Actually, I think New England (including Pinkham Notch) is loaded with outstanding no cost BC XC ski opportunities. Most of you guys don't want a groomed trail anyway, yes? Take a look at Goodman's book. I have done his suggested Connie's Way & OJI loop from PNVC and it's very nice. He also covers the Avalanche Brook and Wildcat tours, which I know [edit] 'are in the offing'. Take a look at the map, I think you could spend the better part of a lifetime exploring free unbroken trails in Northern New England. Did someone say Catamount?

Last edited:
Tramper Al said:
...He also covers the Avalanche Brook and Wildcat tours, which I know you guys are offering.
No: this is NOT being "offered". All hikes and ski events are self run. I'm just keeping tabs of what people have planned, and when.

Al's point is very valid in terms of the variety of XC/BC offerings in the area. You are looking at a veritable smorgasbord, much of it free. The Auto Road is now part of the Great Glens trail system, is maintained by them (somewhat), and is a fee for use. A few had inquired about it, so I posted what I knew.

Thanks for the info on the toll road Sherpa. I was about to write and ask you if it was open for x/c,when up popped your post. I wonder what the chances of hitting a snowcat on the way down are ;) It sounds as though the road might get a little rough as the day wears on.....think I'll stick to the B/C trails.
Anyway thanks again...

-Phil

Washington-hell yah.

I'm definatly on for Washington. We may need to wait for nice weather and then just go for it. Or watch for an advanced weather report. We can all talk Friday night and saturday about definate plans.