VFTT Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17. Hiking/Skiing Plans and requests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pierce on Saturday sounds great..count me in! I may be up for something on Sunday too but haven't decided yet.
-vegematic

Last edited:
Just brainstorming.

I was planning on a hike for Saturday. But, I'm already getting kind of maxed out on alpine skiing, with Windblown not open yet.

Is there any interest in a pure XC ski day at Jackson on Saturday the 15th?

Mark

Okay, having read through everything I foresee my plan as up Thursday to set up / help set up. SherpaK - some XC that day sounds great. Friday I want to do SherpaK's xc ski trip, assuming I get some practice time in between now and then. :D Saturday, probably the Carters but maybe some more skiing depending on the weather. Woo-hoo!

I've gotten many inquiries about start times, and where to meet from participants who will be driving up on the day of the hikes. I've added the expected time and location for the 2 hikes where I am primary contact.

I would appreciate it if anyone who has offered to act as contact on a hike would eMail me, or post here with their ntended start time and location.

Also, for those hikes where the date has not yet been decided, it would be good to come up with a primary day, and weather day, location, and time.

Thanks! [email protected]

Last edited:
sli74 said:
Sunday:
Strap on my skis and practice for the BSP trips somewhere in the backcountry.

Sli (or anyone), what are you thinking for a Sunday ski? I'm looking for an easy/intro BC ski. I'm probably advanced beginner level. I can snowplow and on some days I can consistently pull off a tele turn. Are there any compatible ski trips planned?
-vegematic

I have suggested a hike (Pierce) for those “new” to winter hiking and have been in touch with the individuals who expressed interest. I have not posted a place and time to meet as I will do that via email or PM with those who will be joining us. This way there won’t be any “surprises” at the trailhead.

As of today, there is essentially no backcountry skiing available in the Whites. What snow exists is covered with a bombproof layer of ice. It's about as ugly as I've seen it. Bleh. We skied at Jackson on Sunday, and what was open was not horrible, but we got a thick coat of freezing rain that night.

There's some more freezing rain and sleet in the forecast, then hopefully some snow. Right now it seems that crampons will be more useful than skis.

Waiting to hear more trip reports from the weekend, and keeping an eye on the forecast,

-dave-

Really want to make it up, but...

I really would like to go up and do some hiking with others from the board (it would be my first time). My wife a non-hiker wants to come up as well, but she has no equipment to speak of.

Her plan is to learn how to hike so she can join me on future trips. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know the options of renting, but that would get rather costly to rent boots, clothing, backpack, sleeping bag, ect + buying things like wool socks, synthetic undies, ect.

I wonder if there some "other" activities going on that she could join in? If there isn't I still hope to get out from a guilt trip and still go on the fun trip!

PS - There are so many trips planned and it looks like a lot of people going is it possible for someone to post a Summary of trips and maybe a list of people going (or at least an estimated count)?

If there is bc skiing to be had, I'll be doing it. But at this point, as Dave said, there is no skiable snow in the bc.

I would be interested in XC skiing on day--Jackson did a nice job with what snow they had, but I do recommend metal-edged skis.

As for a hike, I am interested in just about anything except Washington, Pierce or Carter Dome--all of which I've already done in winter.

So, basically, my plans are open--but I'll be there!

I can't seem to master the new board opts

Thanks I've been having a hard time mastering the new board options.

Is there an estimate of how many people will be attending this get together?

Does anyone have any suggestions from my above post about my wife?

Just a suggestion.
Feel free to disagree.
Feel free to say it's too much work.

Is there a way someone could make a list -at- the Gathering of hikers, their trail names, real names and maybe license plate?

If we heard someone broke an ankle, and we need medical help, I've always had the fear of this conversation taking place:

Hiker: We are pretty sure there is a hiker stranded on x trail, with a broken ankle.
Emergency Services: What is the hiker's name?
Hiker: Well, Bob, but his real name isn't Bob, we call him Just Bob, but I think his name is x, but that's all I know.
Emergency Services: Was he hiking with anyone?
Hiker: Yes.
Emergency Services: Who?
Hiker: Farmer Bob, Hiker Bob and Poison Ivy.
Emergency Services: *shakes head*

I'm not saying we should track each and every hiker route, time, etc., but is it possible to have a list of names and plate #'s?

Last edited:
Brickey: It would be tough to come up with an estimate, but I think it's safe to say 40+. As far as "events", everyone pretty much does their own thing. On the other thread a few local options are available. If Alpine or XC skiing are her thing, Wildcat and Great Glens are right down the road. There are great, easy snowshoes pretty much anywhere from Barnes Field. It's winter - we do winter things :)

I'm guessing that there will be more than a few who opt for Hiker's Paradise/Colonial Comfort Inn for overnights. It's no more than a 15 minute drive, and the motel rooms are very reasonable and clean. Good way to get your/her feet wet, and be quite comfortable.

Blue: I hear you, but that takes more organization trhan I can take on right now. I'm not a project manager - I just play one on VFTT ;). If anyone wants to step forward and work on that task, I'll keep answering the eMails and PM's, updating the posts, making sure we have firewood, convincing Sean we don't need a million burgers, thanking everyone for all of their help, etc. Fun Fun!

In all fairness, I've gotten TREMENDOUS support in all of this. Thanks to everyone who has stepped forward (and those of you who will)!

SherpaKroto said:
convincing Sean we don't need a million burgers

We talked to Sean about this, and agreed he might create his own VFTT burger survey.

You are doing a fine job, Sherpa!

Are we chipping in for burgers and dogs? No problem with that..what's the norm? Do i bring steaks and throw them on the Q? Bought my sleeping bag yesterday..I got two substitutes for thurs and friday..school kids want plenty of pictures! I also promised to bring the microwave..Coldfeet (parents really named me David)