VFTT Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17. Hiking/Skiing Plans and requests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on how much Washington kicks my butt and on what day I get to do it. I may join Sherpa on one of his hikes.

Ed-your the man with that warming tent. I'll be there around noon on friday if you need help setting it up.

Spence: logged you in to the Washington trip. relatively speaking, it's way easier than Adams or Jefferson IMHO - much less trailbreaking. In good weather, a spectacular winter climb! Would love to hike with you again on the Carters!

BTW, the warming tent will be set up well before Friday!!!

Hi guys, for me Washington would have to be Sat or Sun. We just have to hope to get lucky on the weather.

A couple of things, if we go Lions Head we'll get a good idea if a summit attempt is possible as soon as you come out of the trees above the steepest part. Winds are typically right in your face and blasting over the cone.

Another option is meeting at the Cog parking at the end of base road (Rt-16 south to Rt 302 through Crawford, right turn on base road above the notch.) The big advantage is a trailhead that starts at 2,600 feet, wind is usually at your back and treeline is higher. If the weather stays fair you can also hit Mt Monroe on your way down. :)

Last edited:
Well, I am slightly confused but I would love to join up with somebody and do the Carters on Saturday. I will probably be open for something on friday as well.

Ill have to look at some more trail descriptions and talk with my friend but I think i can be counted in for Cabot on friday... We'll have to see.

hike change

It looks to me like even those new to winter hiking would prefer to at least do a 4k summit so I’m going to change my suggestion to doing Pierce via the Crawford Path (3.2 miles to summit, 2350’, booktime to summit 2:45). This is a great trail to start with and is in the trees (so protected from the wind) until just before the summit but on a good day the view is awesome.

Carole count me and my son in for Pierce also. He wanted to do a 4K in the winter. He got a good look at the southern presidentials from Jackson two years ago. Is there any way you can gaurantee some grey jays? :rolleyes:

My plans are very tentative and weather dependent BUT here they are

Friday:
Wildcats A and D as a hike not a ski

Saturday:
Carters with my favorite chia head (Sherp)

Sunday:
Strap on my skis and practice for the BSP trips somewhere in the backcountry.

Carole, please count me in on Sat. would like to take my son (12) but I think he has to practice winter hiking with the scouts a little more. Let me first take care of myself.

Stop for a break at the Mizpah Hut cutoff junction and you'll have Jays as company for sure :)

Jays

Pierce is a *great* winter hike!

Bob

Thanks Mr Hiker Bob.

Incedently have you seen the book "Bird Brains" it is on the corvids throughout the world. Great photos of the grey jay.

Hikes

Hey Seema I may join you in trying out your sled somewhere as long as we can get a 4ker in at the same time. I'm up for the Wildcats and Washington then I'll PIBE for any other hikes.