Sawtooth 5. ADK's 11-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
This peak reminded me that it’s one thing to talk about doing the ADK Hundred Highest and another thing all together to actually go out and do all one hundred of them, one at a time…

I pulled into the summer parking lot on Coreys road next to Doug (Hillman1’s) blue Subaru(?) last night at 11:00. Doug jumped into my warm car and we programmed his gps for the morrow’s hike. After perusing an amazing map he picked up at army surplus we agreed on a 5:30 wake up time and hit the sack. It rained all night long and in a vehicle you sure hear it. Luckily, the rain changed into a light drizzle for our departure at 6:30 and with pack covers securely on and headlamps showing the way we crushed the trail. When you’re fresh and goal oriented and shooting the breeze the miles slip away like beer at a gathering and in the blink of an eye we were at Calkins. Another couple of blinks for the BB and Ward Brook LT’s and then were at the double LT’s of camp 4. Precisely .66 miles later we entered the bush and began the 1 mile ascent of ST5. 1 mile doesn’t sound like much does it? It took us 3 hours to cover compared to 2 ½ for the 6 or 7 miles of trail so I guess it was a little further effort wise. In fact, the climb was downright tough. The balsams were growing close together under the birches and were plastered with snow that was fully saturated with cool, refreshing water. Not only that but it was all uphill! We encountered curtains (or walls) that continuously showered us with gobs of hypothermia-inducing white matter. Looking upslope all I could see was more of the same for as far as my eye could see. As long as we climbed strenuously we kept warm. Actually, my hands were freezing so I put on a dry pair of wool gloves and a pair of bullet-proof gore-tex mitts. This was pure heaven until I realized that water from my saturated jacket was trickling down into the mitts. Putting the sleeves outside the mitts was a help but the gloves were soaked anyway. Next time I bushwhack in conditions like that I’m wearing a raincoat, which is what I did for the descent. Big huge improvement! .

In spite of these physiological and psychological stresses, we were entranced by the rare and rugged beauty that surrounded us on all sides. There were no panoramic views but the in-your–face(literally) ones buoyed our spirits all the way to the top. At one point we got hit with a blast of sunshine for about 45 seconds. I think it made my day.

We lingered long enough on the summit to enter into the initial phases of hypothermia then got the hell out of there almost running back down to get the heat flowing. We followed our tracks for a while until losing them then followed a reciprocal bearing down the mountain. We used the compass a lot more than the gps. Looking at the picture I’ve added you’ll see how Doug used his brain power and “enabled” the unit to better find the satellites. The going down was tricky due the ever-present hazard posed by the tibia and femur eating holes. The snow showers were more frequent because we were moving faster. Getting below the snow line was a relief. The sky had cleared somewhat and we got views of Seymour. It looked soooo big under its mantle of snow! We got back to the trail in two hours and right where we popped out there was a guy wearing the biggest pack I’ve ever seen on his way into the Cold River for 5 days of hunting. He said his pack weighed 87 pounds! At the camp 4 lean-to’s we rested, ate and put on what dry clothes we had. I had a down jacket stuffed into its built in stuff sac in a plastic grocery bag and my pack had a pack cover but the thing still got wet!

The hike out seemed to take longer than on the way in earlier that day. It seemed to take so long to get to the Calkins junction that at one point I began to fantasize that we’d missed it and were about to pop out at the parking lot! No such luck and we finished at 5:30, 11 hours after leaving.

sounds like fun! ain't whackin' great??? :D :D :D :D :D
p.s. how many sawtooths has anyone whacked in a day?? anybody know??? :eek:

Last edited:
Another fine ADK day! Reading the TR let me in on exactly this is... I hadn't taken out a map and heard bunches of rumples from you, Spence and others about getting back to the Sawtooth Range (?). Other than the snow and crappy weather it doesn't sound like a bad peak to bag.

ah, the Sawtooth Range, thanks for the trip report; it brough back memories from 20 years ago of those 5 nasty peaks --as you've seen, some pretty thick wacking, perhaps the toughest i experienced in my NY days---#4 isn't too bad either , but #3 is a looooong way from the parking lot and i think you'll find #1 and 2 are a real challenge (with just a compass and an altimeter, i had many "what the hell am i doing" moments on them)-good luck on your NYHH, a tuff goal; not many have done them............pr'b--i did them from the parking lot- 3,4,5 on separate days (3 was a real haul) and then when i did 1&2 together, it was a "death march" for me :)

Last edited:
Great TR Neil, I got cold and wet just reading it :D . Sounds like you and Doug had a great day in the mountains :rolleyes: , wish I could get out more.

Did #3 with Spencer and Brian. I thought ST3 was the toughest so far. Daytrip, 18 miles, 8:30am till 10:45pm.

Numbers 1 and 2 were tough daytrips as well... a little shorter, but lots of blowdown, and the last 1/4 mile to the top of #2 is what little kids call "number two". Brian and Spencer are poised at 99 and soon to finish on ST5 any day.

Can you PM me. I'd like to hear a little more about your adventures on the ADK100. I've started a list of completers a while back. I may have you on it, or I may be missing you and some of your companions.

Peakbagr

Neil well done, sounds peachy..... Plans fell through for yesterdays trip, good thing too, since it was same conditions you had, plus driving rain in the afternoon. I think we're still hoping to get back in there within the next week or so. Wanna go again ;)

What's that 2/5?

post'r boy said:
sounds like fun! ain't whackin' great??? :D :D :D :D :D
p.s. how many sawtooths has anyone whacked in a day?? anybody know??? :eek:

Winter or Summer?

Winter - Best I've heard done was by Alain (Pin Pin) and Tom H. (Randomscooter), who as part of incredible ADK100 winter feat did 4 (numbers 5, 2, 4A**, and 4) on 3/1/02. They went back in and did 3 the next day.

Summer - Good question. If they did more than the winter crew did, can't imagine they enjoyed it much.

Have you seen em' on a map before post'r? I know its a little further west of your usual stomping grounds. This is hardcore ADK style (you'd probably love it). It looks as if the big man himself dropped a big wad of giant (conifer encrusted) ju ju bees on the ground just NE of the Sewards, and said "let's see em' have a go at that one" :eek: . Not much rhyme or reason to it when looking at a map.

Also, it depends on which list you use too. There is 5 on the 300' col list and 11 on the 200' col list. Oh hell, just look -HERE- and sort it out yourself :D

** - 4A is also known as ST WSW for those playing the home game :)

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
Neil well done, sounds peachy..... Plans fell through for yesterdays trip, good thing too, since it was same conditions you had, plus driving rain in the afternoon. I think we're still hoping to get back in there within the next week or so. Wanna go again ;)

What's that 2/5?

Winter or Summer?

Winter - Best I've heard done was by Alain (Pin Pin) and Tom H. (Randomscooter), who as part of incredible ADK100 winter feat did 4 (numbers 5, 2, 4A**, and 4) on 3/1/02. They went back in and did 3 the next day.

Summer - Good question. If they did more than the winter crew did, can't imagine they enjoyed it much.

Have you seen em' on a map before post'r? I know its a little further west of your usual stomping grounds. This is hardcore ADK style (you'd probably love it). It looks as if the big man himself dropped a big wad of giant (conifer encrusted) ju ju bees on the ground just NE of the Sewards, and said "let's see em' have a go at that one" :eek: . Not much rhyme or reason to it when looking at a map.

Also, it depends on which list you use too. There is 5 on the 300' col list and 11 on the 200' col list. Oh hell, just look -HERE- and sort it out yourself :D

** - 4A is also known as ST WSW for those playing the home game :)
thanks mavs,i'm in for the 11 step program when i get over there. i've seen them on many different maps and my mind starts plotin' the way. can't wait,i like a good beatin'!! :D :D :D :D

Sawtooth Range.....

Hi Neil, mass00 and other,

Just to give the real events: ;)

After a small discution with Tom Haskin in Fall 2001 We tock the decision to attack the 100 high peaks in the Winter 2001-02.
Tom take the decision to finish his 100 with the list at the end of Adirondack Mountain Club guide.

For Pinpin and me We have no choix, We do not break the cobsecutive seasons: We attack the 100 with this list and also with the Crispo/Sampson list.

After a memorable day on Wakely in a memoral day We hiked Little Moose, Cellar and Wakely in a great day!!!! :D Tom finished with Us his project in Mac Naughton the 03-10-02. It was the first to finish this in Winter.

Junior and me We finished the 100 higher peaks with the two lists the 03-11-02 on Blue ridge E.P and Blue Ridge W.P in one Winter...in fact We hiked 129 different peak over 3000 feet on the Crispo/Sampson list this Winter.

For the 11 Sawtooth Peaks, this is the the real fact.

12-31-01 Sawtooth Mtn N.E. # 129
01-17-02 Sawtooth Mtn E.P. # 95
01-18-02 Sawtooth Mtn # 1 # 61
03-01-02 Sawtooth Mtn # 5 SW P # 108
03-01-02 Sawtooth Mtn WSW # 73
03-01-02 Sawtooth Mtn # 2 # 69
03-01-02 Sawtooth Mtn # 4 NW P # 120
03-02-02 Sawtooth Mtn # 3 SSE # 81

the year after We returned to finihed with

03-01-03 Sawtooth Mtn S.E # 124
03-01-03 Sawtooth Mtn S # 214
03-01-03 Street S.W # 170
03-03-03 Sawtooth N.N.W # 150

|# is the reference on the Crispo/Sampson list.

It was a real great Winter.

Have a great winter!!!!

Pinpin Junior. ;)

After reading your post Alain I'm real glad to know there are only 4 Sentinels.

Anybody,
of the 5 ST's in the ADK high peaks guide book which one(s) has the best and least best views. (#1 had amazing views of the Sewards and many of the other ST's.)

Sweet

Great report and photos. They remind me of our last four backpacks we did that also included the Seward range. Wet, wet, a little more wet, and soaked. I was re-living some of it while viewing the photos. In fact the Ward Brook LT is where we tended to all the bee stings! Slamdog

Sentinel Area..

Hi Neil,

Just to be little bite more precisions... ;)

We have 7 peaks in Sentinel Range area, the 4 directly in Sentinel Range and 3 other minor peaks
Sentinel, Slide and Slide N. Pk.

Sorry for John H Swanson I make a mistake when I spell your name. :confused:

I made a other error for the Street Mt. SW Pk # it is not 150 but217 the lower in the Crispo/Swanson list

Have funny time in this wild country place. ;)

Pinpin Junior.

Do you mean the "other" Sentinel to the South of Slide?

Sentinel

Hi Neil. :)

Yes, positive, on the topo map You can see Sentinel 979.
But You need to know the lean-to at the end of the Slide South trail was removing, and this trail was abandonned.
When We hiked with the Queen and Normand in the fall 2002, it was very difficult to stay in this old trail and the blowdonw condition push Normand to rename the f.... mountain!!!! :eek:

It was beter when Pinpin & me hiked this three peaks in winter when the snow covered the blowdown:
Slide 2002-02-02
Slide Mtn N Pk 2002-03-18
Sentinel 2003-01-13.

Pinpin Junior. ;)

Now I see the 4 Sentinels plus Slide North and Sentinel 979. What is the 7th Sentinel? Does the sub-peak of Kilburn (the one with the slide to the WNW of Kilburn) make the 200 foot rule? It's not like I'm going to rush out and do 'em all , I'm just wondering.

Sentinel NW Pk

Hi Neil, ;)

Yes it is and We think You How was the dence forest over the slide!!!!

We hiked this peak 2 time, the first was a memoral day with Ingy & Becher 2001-oct-24, from the East side (the first brook in North of Lewis Brook) of this ridge We hiked part time with part time without, Sentinel Mt, Kilburn Mt, We wait for refind the girls in this summit and they went to N.W. Pk, this approach side was the best, the girls go down by the slide and We go down by the ridge in a horrible forest. :(
To make a short story We did not arrived in the same time near the Ingy's car and each group was anxious because We reserch the other part of the group in the different way!!!! :confused:

But this preparation gives fruits when We returned in Winter season: 2003-01-14 by the Kilburn approach (the brook in the opposide side of road of the R part of the word River in the ADK map, this brook split in 2 and We used the north part)and passed by same way in the East side of Kilburn-Sentinel Range NW Pk. without troubles!!! :cool:

Pinpin Junior. :)