Mount Major

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to add an update to this thread. I drove up the Jesus Valley road today to check the mileage (some people walk the roads back to the Mt. Major parking lot from there - it is 3 miles if anyone is interested ;) ). I also checked whether there were any 'no trespassing' signs. I saw none but did see just as you approach the house at the end of the road signs on each side of the road saying "Private Drive". I drove to the end, turned around and left, seeing no one. I do not think the end of the road is the homeowners driveway but I would give him the privacy and park on the side of the road just below the signs. There is enough room to get off the road and park.

Thanks, Carole, for the heads-up on this. I'm planning an early autumn morning hike up Mt Major ( never hiked it ). Any recommendations for trails other than the one in question on this thread?

Happy Trails!

map

I would recommend you use the Main trail from the Mt. Major parking lot off Rt. 11. There are lots of opportunities for photos from that trail. I also posted this on the recent "Mt. Belknap" thread:

Some trails in the range are clearly marked and others purposely not so. Thus a map is very beneficial to truly get the most out your hike. I have such a map and have permission to share it with others. It cost me $$ to make copies – I think $3-3.50 each last time I made some. It is a 17”x 11” double sided color copy, covering the Belknap Range from Belknap Mt. Road to Rt.11 below Mt. Major on one side and trail info on the reverse. I would be willing to send those interested a copy as long as I’m reimbursed for my costs (copy, postage, envelopes). Just send me a PM. I answer most questions for free. :D

Boulder Loop

I have climbed Mt. Major many times but almost always up the main trail and down the Brook Trail off the back side. Last month I finally tried the Boulder Loop, which leaves from the left (southwest) corner of the parking lot. It is described in the second edition of the Southern NH Trail Guide and reasonably well signed now, but still requires a bit of care on the lower end. It turned out to be a great alternative route with better views (through some trees until you get up higher) than the Brook Trail. I especially liked the open ridge at the top end of the trail - a whole side of the mountain that I had been missing all this time.
One possibility is to go up the Boulder Loop and down the main trail as long as the main trail isn't wet (or likely to become so) and you don't mind a steep descent over ledges. The best views *are* on the main trail (and you'll notice them more if you're headed down) but I never like to just go up and down, especially when there are so many alternatives.
I also have a copy of the map Carole mentions; it is a great thing to have if you want to do some exploring in this area. At one point I thought it was available at the Gilford Public Library (as long as they hadn't run out of the latest printing); is this no longer true or is it just too inconvenient to get there when they're open?

Nice views of Lake Winnipesaukee

When my wife and I first started hiking in NH about 10 years ago we were staying in a rental condo in Meredith on Lake Winnipesaukee. I had been going up to NH for years with a motorcycle club from Long Island (South Shore MC if anyone's ever heard of them) for the race weekend (Laconia @ Louden) every Father's Day weekend and loved NH and wanted to hike there.

Our first vacation together up there was in January and I only knew of the trails in the Alton area. It was pretty awesome for our first winter hiking experience. We went up the frozen stream and had great views of the Lakes Region.

We had no special equipment other than some hiking staffs picked up from the brush next to the parking lot.

Since hiking it every year since then I'd have to say it's one of the easiest hikes to do in NH and still get great views for the effort.

Kevin

Hermit's Cave

Anyone ever been to the Hermit's Cave. The last time I was there, the wooden door frame and surrounding timbering was still farily intact. There used to be a wine glass and old bottle of Merlot in the cave. I think that I told Carole how to find it once. The main trail passes within about 250 feet from the cave. When you sit in the entrance of the cave you can hear the hikers passing below you :)

Last edited:
Yes, I have been up to the cave. I didn't take any pictures but I can if you want to see how it looks these days.

I just went out to the Grant Road access route to Round Pond. There is major development going on. I hope we don't lose that access. :(

Hillwalker said:
Anyone ever been to the Hermit's Cave.

This is a relatively new area for me. Can you supply a brief description of where the cave is located? Thanks.

Grant Road Access

carole said:
Yes, I have been up to the cave. I didn't take any pictures but I can if you want to see how it looks these days.

I just went out to the Grant Road access route to Round Pond. There is major development going on. I hope we don't lose that access. :(

That access to Round Pond is new to me. My first visit was as a Scout in 1949 or so. I have only been there summer and winter enroute from Major to Belknap and return. Made a nice local day hike and XC ski.

I first "discovered" the cave in 1986 while living in Alton Bay. I spent quite a few days walling up the back entrance with rocks from the hillside to the rear of the big boulder it's under. I guess I'm the "Hermit" :D

Mike said:
This is a relatively new area for me. Can you supply a brief description of where the cave is located? Thanks.

Off to the right (ascending) of the Main trail just as it begins to level out.

I’ll add another update here since it is in part of the Major/Belknap range.

Grant Road access is about midway in the range. There is clearing going on at the beginning of the trail with what looks to be preparation for housing development. It has made it somewhat confusing for those unfamiliar with the area to follow into Round Pond. Someone has nicely added junction signs in that area now for the pond and along the Mt. Klem loop. (There is also a lot of clearing activity going on at the end of Reed Rd. which extends up to the Quarry trail between East and West Quarry.)

So for now the whole eastern half of the range has summits and junctions pretty well marked.

Edit: The Round Pond sign disappeared. :(

Last edited:
This is an update on the Jesus Valley road access. As I posted earlier there are now signs at the end of the road saying, “Private Drive”. You can park on the side of the road just before those signs (room for several cars) and take the old logging road heading west from that spot. About 200 feet in is another old route heading north that will bring you to the Beaver Pond Trail and thus access to Mt. Major and Straightback Mt. without interfering with the privacy of the homeowner at the end of the road. You also get to view Cates Pond as a bonus as you walk in.