Found a Bone. What to Do?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
While bushwhacking the other day, my retriever brought me a bone. It wasn't obviously human. I assumed it was from a deer or moose carcass. I took it from him and stuck it up in a tree. It's a long bone, about 12", broken off at one end and a joint at the other.

We were discussing this today during lunch and the concensus was that I should have hiked it out. I can go back for it with plastic bag and bring it out. I can scout around where the dogs were and see if I can find a carcass to determine what it might be. Ewwww. Other than that, what should I do with it? Any thoughts?

Periwinkle said:
While bushwhacking the other day, my retriever brought me a bone. It wasn't obviously human. I assumed it was from a deer or moose carcass. I took it from him and stuck it up in a tree. It's a long bone, about 12", broken off at one end and a joint at the other.

We were discussing this today during lunch and the concensus was that I should have hiked it out. I can go back for it with plastic bag and bring it out. I can scout around where the dogs were and see if I can find a carcass to determine what it might be. Ewwww. Other than that, what should I do with it? Any thoughts?

I would have left it too. What are the reasons people are giving for hiking it out?

what is found in the woods should stay in the woods.

Look at the BONES!!

Make soup? :eek:

Seriously - I think periwinkle is questioning what to do in case of the event that the bone is human - it could be murder evidence or something of that sort.

If it is definitly animal - I would leave it.

sapblatt said:

Seriously - I think periwinkle is questioning what to do in case of the event that the bone is human - it could be murder evidence or something of that sort.

If it is definitly animal - I would leave it.

If it is human I would think noting the spot and letting the authorities know would be preferable to carrying it out.

sapblatt said:

If it is definitely animal - I would leave it.

As a Investigator for a Medical Examiner's Office, I'm finally qualified to answer a question. If you ARE 100% sure that the bone is of NON-HUMAN origin, leave in place as it is part of the natural order of things. If you have ANY suspicion that the bone is human, or any clothing or scraps of cloths or anything NON-NATURAL is associated with it (the bone). LEAVE IT IN PLACE, mark the area well enough so that you can come back to it (preferably with a GPS waypoint). This will be surprisingly hard to do in the stress of the moment.

Then you must go directly to the law enforcement agency with jurisdiction. Many human remains are found in just the manner you describe. Humans (and their canine counterparts) happening upon them. Be wary of just willy nilly picking up bones found lying in the woods. Some bones are extremely difficult to differentiate in origin. For example, the decomposing paw of a black bear is often INDISTINGUISHABLE between a human hand. Some times its pretty easy (like if you have a skull), but if in doubt, let people trained to know what they are looking at answer the questions.

Remember, most skeletons if they have been lying arond beyond 1-2 growing seasons (years) will be disarticulated (not connected) and the skeletal field will become whats known as suface scattered. You may only see 1 long bone, but a careful grid search of the area will turn-up the rest of the skeleton (or a greater portion of it). You should not expect to find a "movie set" skelton out there. Carrion, water & elements all will all combine to scatter a "surface dumped" body over a wide area. Clandestine burials are more likely to be clusters together, but not always.

Bottom line, unless you really know your bones, or are a forensic anthropology, you have to be pretty careful about determining human vs. non-human remains in the field, unless you have the skull (skulls are pretty easy)

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
LEAVE IT IN PLACE, mark the area well enough so that you can come back to it (preferably with a GPS waypoint). This will be surprisingly hard to do in the stress of the moment.
I couldn't do this. I would probably run away screaming, crying, maybe even vomiting. I can't handle seeing anything in the woods, let alone bones.

-Dr. Wu

Periwinkle said:
While bushwhacking the other day, my retriever brought me a bone. It wasn't obviously human. I assumed it was from a deer or moose carcass.?
How do you know there wasn't some hideous monster lurking near? I would have freaked out and ran away in any direction. I've seen movies where this happens...

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
pilgrim said:

It's only logical, the guy never comes out of the woods to hike on trails, and when he does, its only to strip down to his waist in the dead of winter on top of a treeless 5000+' summit. ;)

My poor kids will never be the same.............. He's still the man though.

mavs00 said:
It's only logical, the guy never comes out of the woods to hike on trails, and when he does, its only to strip down to his waist in the dead of winter on top of a treeless 5000+' summit. ;)

Actually, I think I recall him doing a long trailed hike recently...

-Dr. Wu

Periwinkle said:

is this a serious question :confused: - or were you kidding?? :D :D head back in with plastic bag and get it? holy moly - now thats LNT to the extreme!! :eek: :eek:

dr_wu002 said:
Actually, I think I recall him doing a long trailed hike recently...

-Dr. Wu
mavs00 said:

i'm humbled, i like you guys. thanks