For those that watch TV-Mt Rainier - moved from Trips & Events

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
For those that watch TV-Mt Rainier

Might look silly as the preview I saw had a lot of CGI but saw a preview last night about a program on the History Channel called Mega-disasters... This one is about Mt Rainier blowing it's lid.... Might be interesting or might be silly looking. Either way, should be informative in someway!

I think it's at 9pm EDT, but the program is listed as "mega-disasters"

Jay

Thanks for the tip.

The threat from lahars and other unpleasantries from a Rainier eruption is real enough. At least one of the local communities has installed warning sirens and conducts evacuation drills in the schools.

The geologists' favorite pasttime is speculating on just how far the flow will flow when it comes. A look at this map of Rainier hazard zones will show why.

Last edited:
sardog1 said:
The threat from lahars and other unpleasantries from a Rainier eruption is real enough. At least one of the local communities has installed warning sirens and conducts evacuation drills in the schools.
Don't even have to wait for an eruption. When I first visited Rainier ('60s?) the Nisqually Valley showed the scars of a sizable muddy outburst flood which had scoured the valley in 1947.

The following search will bring up a bunch of reports:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Nisqually+mud+flow&btnG=Google+Search

Doug

Of Course, I posted this show and missed it anyway. :) Wonder if it was any good?

Jay