First Hike in the Whites - Request for Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
My 13 year old son and I are planning our first White Mountain hike next week. I am an ADK 46er and my son will finish his on Labor day weekend. Since we are starting our new list of 48, we would like an ambitious climb with some altitude. We are considering Madison-Adams-Jefferson via Great Gulf - Osgood - Gulfside - Loop - Six Husbands and Great Gulf back to the parking. The Guide says its about 15 miles and 5500 vertical. Is this the best way? It appears that there may be water at springs along the Gulfside trail. Is it reliable? What's the deal with paying for parking?

Also, I will probably lead some casual hikers on a NH48 peak with the best viewing bang for the mileage/elevation buck. The best that I could find in the Guide is Cannon. Any other suggestions?

I am really looking forward to a taste of the Whites and getting hooked. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

That loop is a helluva loop for your first hike in the Whites. Granted, you're seasoned 46'ers, but even so... If you want a challenge, start from Appalachia, go up Airline, then branch into King Ravine, go up the headwall, then on to the summit of Adams. Then, drop down to the Madison hut, water-up, do Madison and return to your car via Valley Way. (Do NOT descend via Watson's Path - not recommend for descent).

As for best bang for the buck - take your pick. Cannon is OK, but it's steep as hell and very rough (trails are in poor condition from any direction), and I don't think it's on anyone's favorite peak list (certainly not mine). Personally, I like Moosilauke or Garfield for 'best bang for the buck', but you'll undoubtably get a host of replies.

If you don't have it already, get a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide -

Last edited:
I second Kevin's suggestion of Moosilauke as a bang for your buck view. The trails are all low milage to get to the summit and on a nice day you can see almost the entire White Mountains.

Agree about Moosilauke & Garfield. A shorter trip would be Pierce, Ike or Jackson, all still very nice.

Descending 6H, not for the faint of heart, experienced or not. When people debate the hardest trail in the Whites, It's usually in the top 3 with some first place votes.

IMHO the best intro to hiking for a fit person is the Franconia Ridge loop. Ascend Falling Waters trail through spectacular water falls, traverse Lincoln & LaFayette and descend bridle path. Water falls, long open ridge walk, and descend a trail that you can see where you have been the last few hours. Some like to reverse this.

A little easier then the Appalachia hikes which all have 4000' vertical gain to reach the major peaks, plus the presis have allot of bouder hopping above tree line. For a seasoned hiker Appalachia is probably my favorite area to hike in the east.

Moosilauke is right there with Franconia for being spectcular, but I give the nod to Franconia because Mooselauke is a big broad plain at the top where Franconia ridge drops off sharply at your feet in 2 directions, giving a little better "top of the world" sensation.

All of these hikes will have allot of traffic on a nice day.

My 2 cents.

Southern Presis (Pierce/Eisenhower/Monroe) or Mt Washington from Pinkham would be my vote. Both offer a variety of hikes w/ lots of bailout routes that lead to or near where you started. re: Pinkham -- from the east you have Nelson Crag on the north and Glen Boulder on the south, and Boott Spur / Tuckerman Ravine / Lions Head (and Huntington, that's not a bailout route though) in the middle, for a loop of various lengths, with lots of above treeline views, depending on how you feel, and except for Tuckerman R / Lions Head, the trails are less crowded than the southern Presis.

Kevin Rooney said:
If you don't have it already, get a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide
If you are only interested in the 4000-footers there is an alternative; Stephen Smith and Mike Dickerman's The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains. Unlike the White Mountain Guide, which focuses on trails, this book focuses on trips up mountains. Vey useful on a trip where you use segments of several trails. Better yet, get both!

And since you are new to the White Mountains I might point you to two web sites that you may find useful: Dave Metsky's excellent Hike the Whites! and my Peakbagging the 4000 Footer Mountains of New England site.

Great Advice!

That's why I always dial 1-800-VFTT for answers to all of my hiking questions. :) I will definitely check out those two websites.

I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, what is the picture of on the cover of the current White Mountain Guide?

The picture would be Bondcliff.

And while Cannon may not be on many peoples top 5 peaks, it's safe to say Bondcliff could be on everyone's. It's a spectacular setting, with hardly any signs of civilization visible, only the Washington summit buildings and a couple ski slopes of Loon.

And the flat bedrock on the summit is a great place to hang out on a sunny day.

Also, I'll agree that Garfield is a great 'bang for you buck' choice.

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck for casual hikers? You know their capacity best but I'd also take Moosilauke over Cannon although Cannon has the option of taking the tram down if anyone in the group wants to get really casual about it.

Another choice in the same vein but without a tram is Lafayette. A stop at the Greenleaf Hut would afford a bailout and on the other hand if the weather and the group are up to it, a stretch along Franconia Ridge could provide a very nice loop.

I've hiked far more in the Whites than the Dacks but a couple differences are 1) you ascend the mountain in the Whites a lot sooner than the Dacks which generally require a long march in just to get started, 2) many trails in the Whites are better maintained and under some conditions that can make for a relatively easier hike.

Enjoy and welcome to our neck of the woods!

Kevin Rooney said:
Cannon is OK, but it's steep as hell and very rough (trails are in poor condition from any direction), and I don't think it's on anyone's favorite peak list (certainly not mine).

:eek: :eek: :eek: (as Brian sheepishly raises his hand from the back of them room) its actually my favorite....not favorite viewing peak, mind you.....but as a whole. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Brian

TDawg said:
The picture would be Bondcliff.

And while Cannon may not be on many peoples top 5 peaks, it's safe to say Bondcliff could be on everyone's. It's a spectacular setting, with hardly any signs of civilization visible, only the Washington summit buildings and a couple ski slopes of Loon.

And the flat bedrock on the summit is a great place to hang out on a sunny day.

Also, I'll agree that Garfield is a great 'bang for you buck' choice.

I just finished the Bonds and Bondcliff with three of my friends. The views were great but the long walk over all those boulders would not put it at the top of my list.

NewHampshire said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: (as Brian sheepishly raises his hand from the back of them room) its actually my favorite....not favorite viewing peak, mind you.....but as a whole. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Brian
My apologies, Brian! And I understand - there are many reasons to have a favorite peak that may have nothing to do with the view.

Kevin

There's so many nice ones, it's hard to choose! Moosilauke does have 360 views and isn't difficult. I love the Franconia Ridge even though it is longer but you're used to that hiking in the ADKs....Bondcliff is one of our favorites but is a long boring walk for the first approx. 5 miles. My kids did not enjoy that part of the hike.

My kids are 14 and 11 and have done the 111. They enjoy hiking especially if there is another kid involved. Let us know what you'll be up to and maybe if you do some winter ones or next year we can join you. This year is out for me.

Kevin Rooney said:
My apologies, Brian! And I understand - there are many reasons to have a favorite peak that may have nothing to do with the view.

Kevin

Every time I come rolling into Franconia Notch, with the early morning sun rising, the sun hitting those cliffs simply melts my heart. Truely awesome! I understand why its not everyone's cup of tea. The tram and summit buildings (as well as the crowds) sure do make it feel a little odd. But I absolutely LOVE the cliffs. I could hike up there and spend ALL DAY there without even needing to go on up to the actual summit!

As for YOU Bill.................. :p

:D

Brian

Very much agree with Kevin, the hike outlined is a very very ambitious one. Also, as I think was mentioned, people often avoid planning to go down 6 Husbands. But, if you wanted to stick with an ambitious hike that is less extreme, I would suggest going up the Great Gulf Trail and up Six Husbands to Jefferson, then turn north, go along the AT/Gulfside for a short time and go down the Sphinx trail back to the Great Gulf Trail. The Six Husbands is one of the most spectacular, exciting trails in the Whites, especially for kids (of all ages), with ladders, crawl through/under portions, a couple scrambles and unrelenting steepness.

The suggestion of Airlilne to Adams and Madison is also great, but I'd work it so I'd go down the other side of King Ravine, past Crag Camp, for more incredible views into King Ravine. I'd think of the Valley Way choice as an option if tired or bad weather since it's more gradual and below treeline the whole way.

Finally, sticking with the sort of theme you started with and the Northern Presis, you could go up the King Ravine headwall (via the Short Line Trail and then the King Ravine Trail), summit Adams and maybe Madison and then go down the Air Line (or Valley Way). The base of King Ravine has the famous "Subway" with its caves and wiggly scrambles, and the headwall is not extremely hairy, but very dramatic. (There is a very recent post here about King Ravine and various trail options).

These hikes are all major excursions but not quite as huge as what you outlined in your first post.

Let us know how it goes!!