hiking "shoes" - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
hiking "shoes"

anyone have good luck switching from hiking boots to shoes? I am always looking for a way to cut down on weight, but I do not want to skimp on other important factors such as safty and support. I am going to ems next weekend to ressupply and my boots are 3 years old and worn out.

I guess I had good luck. I just stopped wearing my boots and started wearing my New Balance cross trainers I already had - so it was a no-brainer until I had to buy new shoes.

Since it's such a personal thing, just go to EMS and spend a lot of time trying on different shoes. Make sure to size your feet before you do too, and take the socks you'll be wearing, etc...
IMO: If you now wear thick hiking socks or a two sock system (liner + sock) I'd suggest going to one sock for a shoe - like the Smartwool Adrenalines, EMS Fastmountain, or something similar (not a thin sock, but lightly padded, medium weight, and insulating and wicking). I found that when I switched over to shoes, having the thick layer of socks and that slipping between the socks just took away from the mobility that I got from the shoes. With a proper fit you shouldn't be getting blisters anyway.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I recently start wearing Montrail Trail Running shoes and love them. I have both the CTC and the Hardrock.

The CTC is used by some for light climbing and has a stickier sole, while the Hardrock is a great all around shoe. Climbed Jefferson last weekend and the CTC was good even on the rough rocks. They are much lighter! We have started some light trail running lately which is why we bought them, but now they are my choice. Can't wait to see how they do this weekend on the Zealand to Lincoln Woods traverse!

To echo what was said by cbcbd, spend some time trying on several models. to find ones you like. EMS will let you walk around the strore shopping while you wear them.

Also - if you want to get an insole, have them measure your foot for one just like the shoe. A size 9 insole may not fit your foot the best just because you wear a size 9 shoe.

Adk_dib said:
anyone have good luck switching from hiking boots to shoes?
I traded in my 1 piece full leather hiking boots for trail runners many moons ago.

In trail runners I've;

*Completed my AT section hike, backpacking allmost a thousand miles of the Appalachian Trail from Maine into Virginia. This of course includes the Whites, along with the dreaded PA rocks.
*Hiked the NEHH
*Done a one day Presidential Traverse
*blah-blah-blah

I'm now working on the NE3K's in 'em (451 not 770)

Now the only time I put the leather boots back on is in the 'tweener season. Too wet/snowy/cold for sneaks, not wet/snowy/cold enough for my winter boots.

Onestep

Last edited:
I've been thinking on this subject a lot lately and have come to the realization that age/past injuries/joint and back issues have lots to do with what you should have on your feet.
I can no longer even walk in regular running shoes. I have to wear crosstrainers and only those with good solid structure and support top and bottom. Orthotics are a given. I recently read that it's OK to wear cross trainers to hike if you don't mind having back issues sooner than later. I think when one is young, has a terrific musculo-skeletal system and a nice strong back you can get away with it at least for a while. I noticed a big difference if I go "hiking" at the reservoir for an extended period wearing my cross-trainers vs my day hiking boots. My hips and back feel much better at the finish with the boots.
I made this decision this summer when I stepped off a small bridge with my cross-trainers and totally re-injured my right knee. Personally I don't want to take any more chances. Trying to keep what I've got in decent working order is a full time job.

Adk_dib said:
anyone have good luck switching from hiking boots to shoes? I am always looking for a way to cut down on weight, but I do not want to skimp on other important factors such as safty and support. I am going to ems next weekend to ressupply and my boots are 3 years old and worn out.
If your ankles are in good shape, (and you can help get them that way by exercising and stretching), then you can probably wear low cut boots. However, I tend to wear higher boots in the Winter

If you have good feet...

My experience has been much like Maddy's. I have structural problems and have worn away most of the natural padding on the bottoms of my feet. Hiking 'shoes' have caused me no end of problems (not for lack of trying). One problem was that in shoes, my feet had more tendency to slide forward, resulting in several lost toenails using different shoes. This does not happen in boots, possibly due to there being more surface area above the arch to hold the foot back.

If your feet are sound, go for it!

Ed

more info

search for the thread by Kurchian on this topic last summer: there were lot's of thoughtful ccomments and suggestions

I switched to some Montrails Trail Runners this summer and won't go back to leather hiking boots anymore. I took them on the 100 Mile Wilderness and it was the first extended trip I'd had with them, the rest were just weekends, and they performed better than I'd expected. While the tread is separating somewhat, I don't mind as they've been through the wringer and back.

At the end of the day my legs and feet aren't tired, they handle the rock points well, and the grip is amazing. Even in the driving rain for 3 days my feet didn't get a single blister, nor did I have any problems with them.

My leathers have now been relegated to the "tweener" season as well.

I find hiking out west seems more indusive to trail runners because many of the trails aren't so rooted and rocky. Many trails are sandy and switchbacked. When Tmax and Daxs went to Mt St Helens last year for a dayhike, I used my Merrill trail runners and they were great for it. The only thing with the trail runners other than the lack of ankle support (at least as compared to the mid-height or taller boots) is that the sand can get in your shoe easier so a shorty gaiter is useful.

For around here, I am more hesitant to use trail runners hiking, but I do use it for actual trail running, orienteering, or adventure races.

Jay

As I was strolling along one day, I calclulated the weight difference between my leather boots and my trail runners. Then the number of steps I took in a mile.
Finally how long it took before I lifted an extra ton of weight.
I don't remember the distance now, but it's not that far..

(;) You can probably tell I hike solo)

I recently switched back to boots from trail runners due to injuries and doc's recommendations. But, you can find relatively lightweight boots. And, personally, I'd rather carry a few extra ounces on my feet rather than not be able to walk at all. The bottom line is to get what works for you. Then again, trail runners look cooler. :rolleyes: