Pierce-ing the winds and rains for some views

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
AMSTony and I had hoped to be up in Baxter State Park for a four-day stretch of peakbagging to wrap up the NE67. But, alas, a work assignment kept me stuck close to home and within typing-space of a computer. As it was, we checked the weather reports periodically and it looked as though it wasn't prime weather that far north anyway. We took some solace in that.

Still, the hiking itch needed a bit of scratching. So we managed to escape for a day hike to the prezzies. The weather forecast wasn't great this far south, either. But we knew it wouldn't be troublesome to try for Mt. Pierce _ one of my favorite peaks but one for which views have always eluded me. It always has been trapped in fog each of the three other times I'd stood atop its summit.

This time, the weather wasn't great _ but we managed to get views. Go figure!

We hit the trail around 10 a.m., finding a handful of cars and one large van from a Gordon College group. As we crossed the bridge heading toward the main Crawford Path trail, we spotted about a dozen Gordon College kids gathered around the falls and the river, reading their Bibles. I'm not much of a Bible reader _ and I'm guessing Tony isn't either _ but I could see the appeal of hanging out in this spot.

The trip up Crawford is at a relatively easy grade, nice footing. Clearly this is the oldest used trail in the Whites, and a testament to the Crawford boys' efforts of long ago to cut a nice smooth path to these mountains.

The canopy of trees keeps it relatively sheltered. That's nice when it rains _ as it did on this day _ but also means there's little sunlight to dry out the trail.

Probably about 20 minutes before the turnoff for Mizpah hut, it started to rain. We hoped it wouldn't linger, so we resisted putting on our Gore-Tex jackets _ until 10 minutes or so into it, we realized that was just wishful thinking. On come the jackets.

But as we continued past the hut turnoff and continued up the Crawford Path, the rain stayed away as did the predicted 50-70mph winds. We ended up with some wonderful views into the valley and off toward Mt. Eisenhower and Mt. Monroe, though the rest of the prezzies were encased in clouds and mist and fog.

We made it to the summit in decent time, grabbed some summit shots, and then headed back down as we saw the clouds grow darker and the winds started to howl. When we reached the trail sign pointing down Crawford Path and over to Ike, the winds knocked the sign nearly on its side. Only the pile of rocks kept it somewhat stationary.

By the time we were back below tree cover, it was pouring. Then, we heard the thunder. And a couple of times, saw lightning. Boy, this seems familiar _ just like the 9/11 hike a few weeks back!

About halfway down, it tapered off again, and there were times when we both felt this rush of warm air waft past us. It was like one last blast of summer air. Dang, the weather sure is weird in these parts, eh?

Well, the NE67 will have to wait until next year. But at least we managed to get out ...

Here are some pix

Last edited:
This was definitely not a trip to Baxter State Park, but it lieu of that I'll take the Presi's anyday......! Definitely a nice trip up north yesterday

I had not been back to Pierce since August 2003, so I was ready for a visit. We started out at 10:00 and by 10:15 we were shedding clothes because of the humidity, it had to be 100% humidity or close to it. Then shortly after that it started to rain, on goes the rain gear.......then the sun came out and clouds blew away as we neared the Pierce summit!

We could not see Washington, but Eisenhower, Franklin and Monroe stood out clearly against the cloud backdrop. After some pics and all Alpinista and I could also see the dark clouds gathering and could feel the wind picking up. So we figured it would be very wise to move off the summit quickly! :D

When the sign post blew over as we made the trail junction and the wind really blew in we knew it was time to go. No more than 1/2 hour off the summit the rumbling and flashing of thunder and lightning started. The clouds really opened up and we endured that until almost the end of the hike. After missing t-storms for most of 04-all of 05 and until a few weeks ago -06, I seem to be making up for it the last couple of hikes!

Despite the rains, the views were good and the company was great! I'll post some pics later tonight.

sapblatt said:
Wow - it rained and I was not hiking that day - did not think that ever happened. :eek:
Real nice trip and pics - Pierce is a great one!

Yep, your hiking and weather skills did come up, we figured you HAD to be out somewhere hiking to have all this rain. :)

Good thing is our hike did not last 12 hours....... :eek:

Hmmm. Sapblatt and I hiked rain free about 10 days ago, despite a 70% precip probability. Tony and Alpinista have encountered rain on many recent hikes. I wonder if Mike has passed the rain curse to one or both of you.

Anyway, great report, folks. Sorry you may not be finishing the NE 67 this year, but it gives me a great reason to attend the FTFC Awards in 2008 :D

Marty

Ya know, Sapblatt and LarryD's names did come up _ no, not in vain. But I do feel as though the curse has been passed on to hikes that AMSTony and I are on! :eek:

Bobby said:
Nice report. Here's hoping the rain curse has left Sapblatt, we're hiking next week. It might not have been Baxter, but at least you got out for the day. :)

Bobby - If it is rain free when you hike with Sapblatt, then it would seem the curse has indeed been listed. If it rains, then it could suggest that I am his good luck charm. We have hiked four or five times in Massachusetts and the worst precip we endured was a snow flurry or two.

Hope you two have a great hike. Lisa/Tony - I sincerely hope you do not have the curse!

Marty

The "best" part, if I can call it that, was that the rain completely fried my Treo. (For the uninitiated, that's sort of like a Blackberry, and it's one thing that allows me to actually get out into the mountains so I'm "available" in a news emergency.)

I won't be able to get it replaced for at least another couple of days. It's strange how "attached" one gets to these electronic lifelines to the (sur)real world! :D ;)